Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116611 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4155 on: October 06, 2010, 11:28:02 am »

Say there was a row of fortifications. In front of these fortifications is a row of channels. If someone fired an arrow/bolt at the fortifications, would the arrow/bolt fall down into the channel?

Well, as of now, I haven't seen anything fall upwards... But this is Dwarf Fortress. You were right to ask.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: October 06, 2010, 11:29:02 am »

Can I butcher a snow titan I slew?
It's just saying "Usu(Titan Name)'s Snow"

Should be done automatically. If the corpse lies outside you may have to alter your general gathering orders (o).

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: October 06, 2010, 11:33:51 am »

Should be done automatically. If the corpse lies outside you may have to alter your general gathering orders (o).
He melted.
Oh well.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: October 06, 2010, 11:34:05 am »

I guess I'll put this here, since it shouldn't be complicated (or interesting) enough to warrant its own thread:

I've got gypsum, I've got magma kilns, I've got normal kilns and fuel, and I've got empty bags.

Why can't I make gypsum plaster?  Every time I go to add a job to one of the kilns (magma or normal) it says no jobs available.

Sometimes jobs don't show up in the Workshop jobs list until after the 1st time you've successfully queued them via the Manager, sometimes they don't ever show up in the Workshop & you always have to use the Manager.

& AIUI Plaster Casts are bugged at the stage of Mixing Water with Gypsum Plaster, so there's probably no reason to make Plaster unless your Trade Caravans have requested it. Make some splints to store in your hospital instead.

I'll give this a try... I thought I read somewhere that plaster was bugged, but I couldn't remember.  Really, I just want to put some more dwarfs to work making another export with the ridiculous amounts of gypsum I have.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: October 06, 2010, 11:36:18 am »

He melted.
Oh well.
Oh.  ;D

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: October 06, 2010, 12:13:36 pm »

there was a forgotten beast i was fighting that got in my fortress, pretty weak, only killed a few stray dogs in combat, it tooks alot of hits but never did alot of damage, however every 5 seconds it would spray a cloud of either forgotten beast boiling extract or forgotten beast frozen extract, it ran around my fortress alot before we could kill it.

aftre the battle 108 out of my 118 dwarves went to the hospital to rest(with no injuries on the wounds screen) 2 minutes later they were all dead, every body part first went yellow and then they suffcated. I managed to diagnose one and EVERY possible body part had heavy bruising, im guessing this was the same for all of them.

once this beast had got in my fortress, would there have been anyway to kill it without it killing everyone? it ran to every possible part of my fortress and could walk through doors so running away wouldnt work.

AlfFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: October 06, 2010, 01:56:07 pm »

I think I see what you're saying. Yes, bolts will not break more often if they hit a wall/whatever and fall into a pit. In my archery range, I have a bunch of targets against a wall every other square, with channels in the floor between them like so:
(h = hole, X = target, w=wall)
wwwwwwww
hXhXhXhXhX

And lots of bolts fall down to the next floor to be reclaimed. You have to [k] over them and claim them again [f] as they're forbidden after they're fired.

Say there was a row of fortifications. In front of these fortifications is a row of channels. If someone fired an arrow/bolt at the fortifications, would the arrow/bolt fall down into the channel?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: October 06, 2010, 02:23:01 pm »

Repeater question (made a thread about it, but it was ignored, so I figure that qualifies it to be put here):

When building an n-step repeater, do I hook every pressure plate in the repeater to what I want repeating (such as my danger room)?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: October 06, 2010, 02:28:16 pm »

Are greenhouses possible?  Say if I built a glass house above ground, would the inside of it still be Light?  Would it be considered inside or outside?  I wanna know for my aboveground crops, if only for scenic purposes.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: October 06, 2010, 02:34:44 pm »

Are greenhouses possible?  Say if I built a glass house above ground, would the inside of it still be Light?  Would it be considered inside or outside?  I wanna know for my aboveground crops, if only for scenic purposes.

Once something is Light, it will always be Light. Pave the entire sky in obsidian, your above ground crops will be fine. Covered your farm in 10 stories of archery tower? No worries.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: October 06, 2010, 02:34:49 pm »

Inside, Light, Above Ground. Plant away.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: October 06, 2010, 05:29:24 pm »

If they hit the fortification and didn't go through, yes.  And if the channel is flat at the bottom then you'll be able to retrieve the bolts as well.  If bolts fall a z-level or more onto flat ground they won't break.

LotSX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: October 06, 2010, 08:01:55 pm »

How do I increase my military dwarves' hammer skill without using lethal weapons such as maces and warhammers?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4168 on: October 06, 2010, 08:12:02 pm »

How do I increase my military dwarves' hammer skill without using lethal weapons such as maces and warhammers?
If your issue with lethality is in training, training almost never causes accidents anymore, so using steel warhammers is fine.
but uh, I don't think there is currently a way unless you decide to mod the game.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: October 06, 2010, 08:12:43 pm »

Danger room?  You could also give them wooden crossbows with no ammo or cotton candy hammers/maces.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 1178