Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116664 times)

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3960 on: September 29, 2010, 10:37:27 pm »

I forgot cats, so I've started trapping the vermin that's been having at my food stockpiles. So er.. they're in traps now. What do I do with them?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: September 29, 2010, 11:43:11 pm »

They make interesting pets for your dwarves (especially if you have a dorf who's fond of rats or roaches), but otherwise they're pretty useless.

Immigrants in my games have been pretty good at bringing cats with them, so make your fort attractive?

fuzzyevil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: September 30, 2010, 12:56:11 am »

I just started playing this game, after watching every single one of 51ippycup's excellent tutorials.  I have one question, though.  I have a craftsdwarf that I embarked with, his craft labor is enabled, but yet my craftsworkshop is sitting there unused.  I have set "make rock crafts" on repeat, have way too much stone, and his status reads "no job".  Is he just on break or something?  Or am I not doing something right?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: September 30, 2010, 01:02:09 am »

Which craft labour is enabled? theres a bunch & Stonecrafter != Woodcrafter != Metalcrafter, etcetera.

Also, check what you used as the base material for the Workshop, then go into your economic stones menu & check that it's not Red/Forbidden, & then use b-d-b (IIRC) to claim the workshop, just to be on the safe side.

I think that hits most of the usual low points.

Carl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: September 30, 2010, 02:29:43 am »

Hello.I'm new and first of all I just want to say dwarf fortress is an awsome game!
It is a bit scary at first with so many options,but it is great once you know how to play.
So I want know to where do I get magma? I've dug in different locations about 5z down in every direction,but still no magma.
Must I dig deeper or what? Since the "find desired location" doesn't have a magma option.
Plus, walls ontop of walls,the dwarves keep getting stuck,building a one tile wide floor on top of the first wall helps except when building inside corners |_ they don't build the corner wall tile?

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: September 30, 2010, 02:36:36 am »

There is garunteed to be a magma sea at the very bottom of the map.  If there is a magma vent it probably doesn't reach much higher.

Leave a tile empty next to the corner tile so they can get to it.  After it's done, you can place a wall in the space.  If it's a large wall, a floor running alongside the wall might help.

Carl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: September 30, 2010, 04:16:56 am »

Thank you will try,just one thing..
How deep is "bottom of the map"?

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: September 30, 2010, 04:33:12 am »

It depends on the world.  The default is somewhere around -150z I think.  It's pretty deep.  Just start digging down until you hit a cavern; then you've got two more caverns to go.  Then you'll be close.

Personally, I like my maps a little cozier and gen a world with 50ish layers and one cavern so I'm not certain on what the defaults are anymore.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: September 30, 2010, 04:42:31 am »

do dwarfs ever remove rotted organs?

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: September 30, 2010, 04:53:27 am »

It depends on the world.  The default is somewhere around -150z I think.  It's pretty deep.  Just start digging down until you hit a cavern; then you've got two more caverns to go.  Then you'll be close.

Personally, I like my maps a little cozier and gen a world with 50ish layers and one cavern so I'm not certain on what the defaults are anymore.

How do you change this in world generation? And does it still permit HFS?
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: September 30, 2010, 05:02:54 am »

I'm not an expert, but I shall endeavor.

In your params should be this:
        [CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
   [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
   [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
   [LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]

HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1 is the magma sea, you can turn it off.  HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2 is the circus and if turned on will force the magma sea anyway.  The cavern number is self-explanitory.  Levels above ground is how many z-levels extend above the surface.  LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1 is the number of levels above the first cavern; ie. the number of z-levels between the surface and the first cavern.  LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2, _3, etc. are then apparent and will define how many z-levels are between the 1st and 2nd cavern, 2nd and 3rd, etc.  The last, I believe, is the number of levels occupied by the circus.

Be careful turning off caverns completely.  This will mean that no civilization will discover underground crops and you won't be able to grow a single plump helmet.

fuzzyevil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: September 30, 2010, 08:53:52 am »

Which craft labour is enabled? theres a bunch & Stonecrafter != Woodcrafter != Metalcrafter, etcetera.

Also, check what you used as the base material for the Workshop, then go into your economic stones menu & check that it's not Red/Forbidden, & then use b-d-b (IIRC) to claim the workshop, just to be on the safe side.

I think that hits most of the usual low points.

Turns out that I had been accidentally making wood crafts instead of stone crafts.  *facepalm*

Thanks for your help anyways.

Carl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: September 30, 2010, 09:53:16 am »

?!150!?
HOW am I supposed to dig that deep?
even 50 is quite deep.
So do you have a quick method on how to dig deep quickly?
So far I'm using up/down stairs to dig, is there an easier way?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: September 30, 2010, 09:59:08 am »

Honestly I rarely manage to get more 60 levels down to the magma sea. It's all a question of where you embark (& my preference for Streams & Rivers means I tend to get shallow embarks  :( )

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: September 30, 2010, 10:53:35 am »

I forgot cats, so I've started trapping the vermin that's been having at my food stockpiles. So er.. they're in traps now. What do I do with them?
They are edible, as far as I know.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 1178