Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117306 times)

AlfFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3780 on: September 24, 2010, 02:55:28 pm »

In trying to make a winter water-hole, I built a room a level down from a river, smoothed it and flooded it. I kind of overfilled it though, and now it's all level 7, with the entrance being a door. If I open that door, will I lose a dwarf? The room is one level below anything important and so I don't think it will flood up stairs, but the poor dwarf opening the door might get his beard wet.

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: September 24, 2010, 03:32:42 pm »

In trying to make a winter water-hole, I built a room a level down from a river, smoothed it and flooded it. I kind of overfilled it though, and now it's all level 7, with the entrance being a door. If I open that door, will I lose a dwarf? The room is one level below anything important and so I don't think it will flood up stairs, but the poor dwarf opening the door might get his beard wet.
Punch a hole in the floor above it and build a well. Then they can drink away without risking death by inability to swim. Otherwise, just send in a dwarf with ranks in swimming.

==

Question of my own: Can building destroyers destroy constructed walls?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: September 24, 2010, 03:53:42 pm »

A couple questions. I have a starting build involving unskilled dwarves, a huge amount of food 4 picks... plenty of animals and over 30 bags for seeds.

The dwarves won't store seeds in the bags. They just leave them outside to be admired by whatever humped zombie camels pass by. How do I fix this?

Also how do I make a pond? I farmed by using a floodgate to flood a room then a lever to open the floor hatch so the water drained down a couple z levels. Now I have a water filled room that isn't evaporating. There has to be a better way to go about this.
1: I do believe as of the 31. series dwarves are now forced to store seeds in barrels, at least, that's all my seed stockpile has in it, no kind of seed bags anywhere except what the traders bring to me.

Definitely not the case...
all you need is a seeds stockpile.
didnīt check it with the newest versions of 0.31,
but when I last used gather plants (which was somewhere between 0.31.6 and 0.31.12 )
they put the seeds in  bags into my seeds stockpile (that is, as soon as I created such a stockpile)

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: September 24, 2010, 04:14:16 pm »

Question of my own: Can building destroyers destroy constructed walls?
No.
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #3784 on: September 24, 2010, 05:46:58 pm »

Ok, so apparently if you assign stockpiles to not have seeds, seeds get auto-dumped if the seed stockpile is full, and so do plants for some reason :/

I fixed the problem by not limiting the stockpiles to specific foods and just allowing all food.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3785 on: September 24, 2010, 07:32:02 pm »

If I build a roof above an aboveground farm plot, will it ruin the aboveground crops, or will they keep planting aboveground seeds there?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: September 24, 2010, 07:45:41 pm »

If I build a roof above an aboveground farm plot, will it ruin the aboveground crops, or will they keep planting aboveground seeds there?

I think tiles exposed to the sun (with no tiles above them) at any time in the game are above ground tiles for this purpose for the rest of the game.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3787 on: September 24, 2010, 07:46:02 pm »

Okay, thanks.  :D

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: September 24, 2010, 08:08:23 pm »

So . . . (cough, cough) . . . now that we can specify font (Times New Roman, Arial) in the game, how do we specify it?  All I can find is the "TRUETYPE" line in init.txt, and the long-standing lines that say "curses etc. etc."; no reference to the actual TrueType font.  Is it set in-game or out?

--Rexfelum

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: September 24, 2010, 08:26:07 pm »

I haven't been paying attention at all. What is this font stuff about?
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3790 on: September 24, 2010, 10:53:33 pm »

So, two of my dwarves spontainiously became legendary wrestlers while fighting a blind cave ogre.They were like, level 1 wrestlers before. What the heck happened, and can it be exploited?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: September 24, 2010, 10:59:51 pm »

I think someone answered this but I can't find it. What advanced world gen setting makes magma pipes (or pipe) be very near the surface of the earth?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: September 24, 2010, 11:47:10 pm »

I believe that's done by increasing the volcanism. Alternatively, you could jack up the number of volcanoes.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: September 24, 2010, 11:55:28 pm »

I believe that's done by increasing the volcanism. Alternatively, you could jack up the number of volcanoes.

Min volcanism other than 1 causes generation failure loop.

Another question: can I somehow get wood on a biome with no trees without trading for it?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: September 25, 2010, 12:17:10 am »

Then set your rejection settings to ignore volcanism.

For your new question: Caverns.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 1178