Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117977 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3585 on: September 18, 2010, 08:35:44 pm »

Does a military get as much experience from killing unarmed goblins as it does with armed ones?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: September 18, 2010, 09:03:30 pm »

Yes. Make sure the goblins keep their armor though - you'll get more experience per goblin because the goblin will take longer to die.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: September 18, 2010, 09:19:39 pm »

2. I have no idea. Have you tried channeling out the brook? Maybe something about the brook "surface" has changed. If you divert it into your fortress and build a well, it works.
Nope, nothing.

Murky Pools can't seem to be made into water sources either.

Pump the water to purify it into a separate built pool if nothing else works.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: September 18, 2010, 09:30:06 pm »

Why did you respond to a question from 5 months ago?

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: September 18, 2010, 09:43:51 pm »

Yes. Make sure the goblins keep their armor though - you'll get more experience per goblin because the goblin will take longer to die.

Is there a way to only take their weapons away then? My troops kept getting maimed due to their silver pikes that seem to bypass masterful steel armor.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: September 18, 2010, 09:52:31 pm »

If I build an Up Stairs over a carved up/down stairs, does it block access to the z-level below?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: September 18, 2010, 09:58:40 pm »

Is there a way to only take their weapons away then? My troops kept getting maimed due to their silver pikes that seem to bypass masterful steel armor.

In the stocks screen, order all base quality silver/bronze/whatever (weapons) to be dumped.

If I build an Up Stairs over a carved up/down stairs, does it block access to the z-level below?
Yes.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: September 18, 2010, 10:26:28 pm »

Does the mechanism of a magma floodgate need to be magma-safe, or just the material the floodgate is made of?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: September 18, 2010, 10:38:51 pm »

WTF?! My kaolinite floodgate was just ripped off by flowing magma! I thought it was magma safe. The mechanism may not have been. Does it have to be, too?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: September 18, 2010, 10:41:33 pm »

WTF?! My kaolinite floodgate was just ripped off by flowing magma! I thought it was magma safe. The mechanism may not have been. Does it have to be, too?

Yes. I don't think kaolinite is magma safe. You may have been thinking of bauxite, which is the same color.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: September 18, 2010, 10:44:58 pm »

Yes. I don't think kaolinite is magma safe. You may have been thinking of bauxite, which is the same color.

It's on the magma-safe chart of the wiki.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: September 18, 2010, 10:47:16 pm »

It was your mechanism then. They do have to be magma-safe.

mr.zimmerman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: September 18, 2010, 10:48:49 pm »

How long should world gen take (generally speaking, I know this has a lot to do with the computer DF is running on) and are there semi-average numbers of historical figures and historical events?

I ask because I attempted a world gen with 31.13 and it took almost two hours. It had over 260,000 historical figures and over 250,000 deaths with 1.6 million historical events (this was only over about 1,000 years). I accepted the world and it dumped the 17,000 units it had only to freeze while it synchronized folders. My laptop needed to add more virtual memory at that point and I think that's what stopped it. Honestly it had been just synching the folders for half an hour and I don't know if it was actually frozen.

I read that the generation time takes longer now but I'm not sure how long it will be.

Thanks in advanced.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: September 18, 2010, 10:49:40 pm »

31.13 is plagued by very slow worldgens.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: September 18, 2010, 10:49:46 pm »

How long should world gen take (generally speaking, I know this has a lot to do with the computer DF is running on) and are there semi-average numbers of historical figures and historical events?

I ask because I attempted a world gen with 31.13 and it took almost two hours. It had over 260,000 historical figures and over 250,000 deaths with 1.6 million historical events (this was only over about 1,000 years). I accepted the world and it dumped the 17,000 units it had only to freeze while it synchronized folders. My laptop needed to add more virtual memory at that point and I think that's what stopped it. Honestly it had been just synching the folders for half an hour and I don't know if it was actually frozen.

I read that the generation time takes longer now but I'm not sure how long it will be.

Thanks in advanced.

Don't generate such big worlds. Stick with medium-sized islands and don't generate to 1050. 600 should be enough.
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 1178