Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118013 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3390 on: September 14, 2010, 10:55:27 pm »

Slow to tire, tough, strong, agile, good spatial sense, generally in that order.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: September 14, 2010, 11:22:52 pm »

Slow to tire, tough, strong, agile, good spatial sense, generally in that order.

I found one male who was strong and had no red entries. I guess it will have to do.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: September 14, 2010, 11:34:29 pm »

Can only one creature be kept per cage? I know a trap can only hold one, but what about later when I place a cage (j)?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3393 on: September 14, 2010, 11:48:31 pm »

Can only one creature be kept per cage? I know a trap can only hold one, but what about later when I place a cage (j)?
Cages can hold infinite amounts of anything.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: September 15, 2010, 12:01:53 am »

I assigned some trapped gobbos to the cage, but I don't see it in there. What job moves them from cage (stockpile) to cage (building)?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: September 15, 2010, 12:03:08 am »

Can I chain a goblin to something using a chain and then send a swordsdwarf to have fun with him?

DudeTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: September 15, 2010, 12:03:57 am »

Well I finally got some action as the elves apparently hate me for my mass deforestation of the entire area code. They are knocking at my door and I want my military to attack them and everyone else to come inside. I setup a burrow inside and assigned all the civilian dwarves to it. However, none of them are going to the burrow. In fact some of them are still leaving my fort (which is entirely elf free and safe as can be) for no apparent reason. Is there a way to force them to go to the burrow? Also I have a burrow setup along my fortified walls for my crossbow dwarves to go to. But, the only way I can get them to go there is to select their squad and move them to that spot manually. I tried assigning them to the burrow to no avail. I also created an alert that was set to that burrow, turned the alert on for my squads, and they still never go to the burrow. Am I missing a step?

Edit: Is there a way to forbid a door to everyone who isn't in the military? So only my military can go outside?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:06:00 am by DudeTheMan »

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: September 15, 2010, 12:10:11 am »

Is this normal? I have a dabbling sword dwarf who, while strong, has little experience fighting and no other positive traits it seems. However, I had him attack a goblin and he won in one hit. He missed about 5 times. Then he hit the goblin once with a steel shortsword in the lower body and the part went sailing away, presumably cutting the goblin in half and killing him instantly. Then I tried this again with a trapped goblin being released in a sealed arena. Same thing. Miss, miss, miss, hit, dismemberment, carnage. I didn't even disarm him (he had an iron halberd).

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: September 15, 2010, 12:13:45 am »

Will goblin corpses be dumped in a refuse pile automatically? I know I need to claim the goblin's weapons, but the body starts out claimed after he is dead.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: September 15, 2010, 12:48:57 am »

What is a dark brown wound? I have a dwarf with a dark brown left hand. What does that mean?

It says the iron weapon bruised his skin under the mitten (even though he has a steel gauntlet on). Is this an injury requiring a hospital?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:54:39 am by vassock »

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: September 15, 2010, 01:25:26 am »

Hardly.

MINOR: Any damage that doesn't have functional/structural consequences (might be heavy bleeding, though).

And for my question(s):

Is there any difference at all between horizontal bars and grates besides that bars have to be made out of metal? Also, is there a reason to use vertical bars over fortifications?
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: September 15, 2010, 01:39:21 am »

I assigned some trapped gobbos to the cage, but I don't see it in there. What job moves them from cage (stockpile) to cage (building)?
Animal Hauling

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
  • If we are paranoid, then are we paranoid enough???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: September 15, 2010, 01:49:10 am »

It says the iron weapon bruised his skin under the mitten (even though he has a steel gauntlet on). Is this an injury requiring a hospital?
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Armor
Read about the Coverage. And more them that, iron Halberd is heavy and could inflict blunt damege even with edge attack. And blunt damage that can be stopped only by armor with [HARD] tag.
And there is no [HARD] armor for upper hands and some other minor parts of the body.
EDIT: a lucky strike (very strong hit) can penetrate even [HARD] armor.
every break or fracture causes pain to a dwarf and he`ll eventually will fall unconscious.
Thats why silver warhammers is by far the deadlyest weapon against organic enemys - tested.
i`ve tested 15 steel armored hammerdwarves aganst 15 adamantine equipped axedwarves, and hammerdwarves was victorious(~50% survivors).
BUT against bronze collosus, silver warhammer rendered totally useless... =(
Why silver? silver is the heaviest weapongrade metal in Drarf Fortress mode and inflicts the most damage.

Weapon x Armor comparison
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53571.0
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 05:47:28 am by kuketski »
God, please, take asp.net give second python!

Stardrinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: September 15, 2010, 02:47:48 am »

Well I finally got some action as the elves apparently hate me for my mass deforestation of the entire area code. They are knocking at my door and I want my military to attack them and everyone else to come inside. I setup a burrow inside and assigned all the civilian dwarves to it. However, none of them are going to the burrow. In fact some of them are still leaving my fort (which is entirely elf free and safe as can be) for no apparent reason. Is there a way to force them to go to the burrow? Also I have a burrow setup along my fortified walls for my crossbow dwarves to go to. But, the only way I can get them to go there is to select their squad and move them to that spot manually. I tried assigning them to the burrow to no avail. I also created an alert that was set to that burrow, turned the alert on for my squads, and they still never go to the burrow. Am I missing a step?

Edit: Is there a way to forbid a door to everyone who isn't in the military? So only my military can go outside?

To get your civilians in their burrows:
m (military) >
a (alerts) >
c (add alert) >
down arrow till new alert is highlighted >
right arrow to the burrow you want to use and press enter.

Now every time you want them to go to their burrows,
hit  m > a > select your alert and hit enter.
That should add a green CIV icon next to it meaning that's your current alert status. When you want them to return to normal duties:
hit m > a > select Inactive and hit enter.

Military dwarves generally ignore burrow settings and I don't know how to make them go into burrows. I make their training barracks in the area I want them to protect. You could also set up a patrol point but turning it into training barracks means they patrol and train at the same time.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: September 15, 2010, 03:56:49 am »

i've started playing on my girlfriends mac laptop, and none of the embarks will allow underground plants like plump helmets. i dug down to a cavern and there was nothing there at all, no trees or anything. I must admit I had been biasing the worldgen for high volcanism (i wanted a flat embark with surface magma), 2 very open caverns (low density, high openness) with 5 min water and low maximum ( i hate flooded caverns ). Will this effect the cavern plants and trees?
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 1178