Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117986 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3375 on: September 14, 2010, 07:56:54 pm »

How do I keep a standing army? How do I feed/water them? I want to keep them in the barracks, but that is kind of far away. I have the beds and an armor stand designating the area as a barracks. But what if they get hungry/thirsty?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: September 14, 2010, 09:07:48 pm »

How do I keep a standing army? How do I feed/water them? I want to keep them in the barracks, but that is kind of far away. I have the beds and an armor stand designating the area as a barracks. But what if they get hungry/thirsty?
Your troops aren't that different from other dwarves.

The first thing to do is appoint a militia captain from the (n)obles screen. Then you go to the (m)ilitary screen, (c)reate a squad for him to lead, and fill it with guys.

After that you have to create a Barracks, and set your squad to train there.

The troops will get most of their gear, and spend most of their time sparring.

The only real potential problem is that if you don't change the squads standing orders. They default to a minimum of 10 guys to do anything, and when that happens weird crap happens. This is because you almost never have a full squad of 10 guys full of food, drink, and ready to spar. Either they never start because somebody is eating, or they never stop because nobody can leave. Change it to a lower number (I use 1, and it works fine).

Nick
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:13:35 pm by nickbii »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: September 14, 2010, 09:12:19 pm »

Is there a good way to deal with building destroying diplomats?

My magma channels are blocked off by doors. So the latest human dude to show and say hi gets his demon ass fried, and floods my main stairway with magma.

The only possibility that occurs to me is editing the raws so demons are no longer building destroyers, but I don't know how to do that.

Nick

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: September 14, 2010, 09:14:56 pm »

The easiest way is to simply wait for the next release - they'll be fixed then, and won't go on an orgy of destruction.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: September 14, 2010, 09:19:29 pm »

The easiest way is to simply wait for the next release - they'll be fixed then, and won't go on an orgy of destruction.
You're silly. The new release probably won't be out for a few days.

In the meantime I'd need to a) start a new fortress, b) allow this fortress to burn (literally), or c) not play DF.

Nick

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: September 14, 2010, 09:21:01 pm »

Go with {a}. Put your fort on hold for a little while (like you said, probably a couple days). Gen another world, found a little fort out in the ass end of nowhere and take an ingame vacation.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: September 14, 2010, 09:35:54 pm »

The only real potential problem is that if you don't change the squads standing orders. They default to a minimum of 10 guys to do anything, and when that happens weird crap happens. This is because you almost never have a full squad of 10 guys full of food, drink, and ready to spar. Either they never start because somebody is eating, or they never stop because nobody can leave. Change it to a lower number (I use 1, and it works fine).

Nick

How do I set this min number?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: September 14, 2010, 09:56:36 pm »

Nick

How do I set this min number?

(m)ilitary-(s)chedule-(e)dit order

Use +/- to pick your minimum. You'll have to do this for every month, which kinda sucks, but hey.

Nick

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: September 14, 2010, 09:57:41 pm »

There are copy order/paste order buttons too.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: September 14, 2010, 10:00:46 pm »

One of my dwarfs went and claimed all of the food in my fort.. oh crap oh crap oh crap, what do I do? Lol
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: September 14, 2010, 10:09:26 pm »

Well my squad members are thirsty and standing where I stationed them. What do I do?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: September 14, 2010, 10:12:34 pm »

I canceled the order and they went to go drink I presume. Now it says can't follow order...what order?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: September 14, 2010, 10:15:52 pm »

One of my dwarfs went and claimed all of the food in my fort.. oh crap oh crap oh crap, what do I do? Lol

Kill him and take your rightful place at my side.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: September 14, 2010, 10:19:18 pm »

I canceled the order and they went to go drink I presume. Now it says can't follow order...what order?
Sounds like \some squad or other still has orders from the (s)quads screen.

If you want them to practice you have to keep them officially off-duty. The orders you give from the (s)quad screen take all their time, so they can't practice.

Nick

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: September 14, 2010, 10:36:35 pm »

What are some good sword=+shield dwarf qualities? Obviously male since female dwarves have kids following them around. But what else?
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 1178