Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118632 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3210 on: September 10, 2010, 11:00:14 pm »

Do well materials really make a difference? I built some gold chains, buckets and bars for my next one. Does the mechanism material matter?

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: September 10, 2010, 11:08:16 pm »

Do well materials really make a difference? I built some gold chains, buckets and bars for my next one. Does the mechanism material matter?
Higher quality materials will give a happiness boost. If a dwarf likes a material it will do the same thing.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: September 10, 2010, 11:16:22 pm »

Burrows issue.

Suddenly two of my better craftsdwarfs head out to replace traps in the path of the goblin invasion and Urist McWFT? (fish dissector) heads out with no job to wander the wilderness.

What am I doing wrong? How do I make them just stay in the burrow?

I've heard it said that what a burrow actually means is "Nothing outside of this burrow is usable for any jobs you need to do."  Rather than "You must remain within this burrow."  So, a dwarf with No Job can still go wandering randomly anywhere his stupid little heart leads him.

Clearly the answer to that is to give them more work.  Lazy little nuggets.  For example, it's obviously extremely vital to your fortress that this whole quantum stockpile of mica be moved over there.  Immediately.

Good ideas - moved everything on lowest level. Put down drawbridge to lure goblins into traps.  F%^$#!!! 8 CHILDREN SPRINTED OVER THE BRIDGE!!! Why are they as dumb as maggots? Also one of my few remaining legendary miners (cave-in issues last night).

Please, please, please bring back the 'stay inside' command, as it shouldn't be this hard to stop the little twerps from charging out and playing next to a squad of invading trolls.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: September 10, 2010, 11:17:05 pm »

Good materials and masterful constructed parts will give your dwarfs happy thaughts while using the well.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: September 10, 2010, 11:51:23 pm »

Burrows issue.

Suddenly two of my better craftsdwarfs head out to replace traps in the path of the goblin invasion and Urist McWFT? (fish dissector) heads out with no job to wander the wilderness.

What am I doing wrong? How do I make them just stay in the burrow?

I've heard it said that what a burrow actually means is "Nothing outside of this burrow is usable for any jobs you need to do."  Rather than "You must remain within this burrow."  So, a dwarf with No Job can still go wandering randomly anywhere his stupid little heart leads him.

Clearly the answer to that is to give them more work.  Lazy little nuggets.  For example, it's obviously extremely vital to your fortress that this whole quantum stockpile of mica be moved over there.  Immediately.

Good ideas - moved everything on lowest level. Put down drawbridge to lure goblins into traps.  F%^$#!!! 8 CHILDREN SPRINTED OVER THE BRIDGE!!! Why are they as dumb as maggots? Also one of my few remaining legendary miners (cave-in issues last night).

Please, please, please bring back the 'stay inside' command, as it shouldn't be this hard to stop the little twerps from charging out and playing next to a squad of invading trolls.

There are two different ways to make citizens stay inside a burrow. One is with "assign citizens to burrow," the other is via the Military civilian alerts menu. The assign-to-burrow is less robust, so during seiges use the military menu.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: September 11, 2010, 12:13:36 am »

How do I get lye in to barrels? I have like 50 spare barrels and about 15 buckets full of lye, soap making wants barrels of lye. Wiki says it's automatic if you have free barrels but... Nope.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: September 11, 2010, 12:18:28 am »

Make sure the stockpile where the lye is stored is set to allow barrels...and many of them. Custom stockpiles sometimes come with 0 bins/barrels allowed in the settings.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: September 11, 2010, 02:03:28 am »

I'm building a 3-room building for my mayor and putting all of the stuff he needs in there. I assigned the bed to him and made a room a bedroom, but why is some miner sleeping in it?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: September 11, 2010, 02:12:14 am »

This is a bug in 2010. Dwarves do sleep in their assigned rooms, but not always. ;)
At least the miner will get a happy thought about sleeping in a wonderful room. ^^

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: September 11, 2010, 02:13:27 am »

As of .30.12 there's a known bug with bedroom assignments being ignored, it is reported fixed in .30.13 (which hasn't been released yet).

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: September 11, 2010, 02:14:44 am »

Does the Leader skill have an effect on your ability to recruit companions in adventure mode? And if it does, is there a way to increase it in adventure mode itself?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: September 11, 2010, 03:35:35 am »

As of .30.12 there's a known bug with bedroom assignments being ignored, it is reported fixed in .30.13 (which hasn't been released yet).

I have the most hilarious workaround for this. I make a doubly-awesome-royal-bedroom, and make it very near to the main meeting hall, and generally close to everything as possible. Then, since I know dwarves are going to sleep in it anyway, I also double-room it, by making it a Dormitory. Add enough beds for every dwarf in the fortress. Build no other bedrooms. Now the Dwarven Queen is having a Slumber Party!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: September 11, 2010, 07:41:05 am »

Do cavern trees count toward Elven Tree Mandates?
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: September 11, 2010, 08:03:45 am »

Do cavern trees count toward Elven Tree Mandates?
Yes, they do.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: September 11, 2010, 02:02:43 pm »

Anyone know when the next version of DF is coming out? Will it be compatible with saves from the current version?
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 1178