Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119045 times)

Luewen82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2940 on: August 28, 2010, 04:05:48 pm »

Can marksdwarves shoot down from second floor of keep? I read somewhere that they can shoot up or down Z levels but with less range. Though when i station archers at second floor with fortifications they never shot at goblin raiding party.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: August 28, 2010, 04:15:55 pm »

Can marksdwarves shoot down from second floor of keep? I read somewhere that they can shoot up or down Z levels but with less range. Though when i station archers at second floor with fortifications they never shot at goblin raiding party.

My archer will shoot at zombies lying on the bottom of the ocean, which is several Z levels bellow where he stands. So I assume the answer to that is yes, though fortifications might alter that.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: August 28, 2010, 07:19:45 pm »

The game won't allow you to order a gem you don't have to be used, so just set up "cut _" on repeat, and then, whe all the _ are cut, set encrust with _ on repeat.

The game seems to allow me to start a cutting order of a gem type I have, even if all of them are already be cut. It won't list types I haven't discovered yet, but this still leads to a lot of wasted orders. I'd love a "Cut Gem" order, akin to "Build Blocks" which can just be set on repeat.

I've also tried using the (z) menu, but it lists only my total number of gems, not a breakdown of type. That may just be my lack of a book keeper, though.
Ah. Only use one order, set on repeat, for each type of gem. The cgem cutter/setter will continue until they no longer have that tyoe of gem. You'll get one cancellation message, because eventually they run out.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zhaneel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: August 28, 2010, 07:46:36 pm »

Okay, I'm sure I'm just missing something in my newbie-ness.  How do I train war dogs?

I have dogs (tame, stray, in cages).
I have a kennel.
I have dwarfs with the all the Hunting skills on.
I have dogs who indicate they are willing to be trained.

And yet, when I go to the Kennel I'm told that there are no animals who can be trained to war dogs.  What am I doing wrong?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2944 on: August 28, 2010, 08:08:16 pm »

The dogs need to not be in cages (or on chains).
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: August 28, 2010, 09:50:08 pm »

Can dwarfs fish from more than 1 z-level up, or do they have to have the water right below them?
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: August 29, 2010, 02:26:42 am »

Okay, I'm sure I'm just missing something in my newbie-ness.  How do I train war dogs?

I have dogs (tame, stray, in cages).
I have a kennel.
I have dwarfs with the all the Hunting skills on.
I have dogs who indicate they are willing to be trained.

And yet, when I go to the Kennel I'm told that there are no animals who can be trained to war dogs.  What am I doing wrong?

The Job to Train Dogs is "Animal Handling" or "Animal Training" or something along those lines, not Hunting.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: August 29, 2010, 02:37:08 am »

The Job to Train Dogs is "Animal Handling" or "Animal Training" or something along those lines, not Hunting.

Animal training is under hunting/related in the job settings screen, so if e has "all the hunting skills" turned on, as e said, then it should be active. Even there wasn't a dwarf with that turned on, though, that wouldn't make the kennels give a 'no trainable animal' message - the task would just sit in the queue forever, with no dwarf even checking to see if it was possible.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: August 29, 2010, 03:58:09 am »

Hi - not sure if this should be here or somewhere else.

Third forgotten beast rampaging through my fortress.  Last two have been sorted by my squad without too much problem when I order them to kill it.  Trouble is, they are not attacking this one, and all have the "Soldier; cannot follow orders" tag.  ALL of them are conducting individual training drills, despite me having a maximum of 4 at a time training.

I just turned off the barracks, and now they are going emo in their rooms with the same order while one animal trainer is going toe-to-toe with the beast.  Tried cancelling and reissuing the order, everything I can think of, but they are not doing anything. Very annoying.  Seen this complaint a few times but no real answers.

Any ideas how to get these axedwarves moving in the right direction?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: August 29, 2010, 04:27:02 am »

And to top it off, the whole squad went and slaughtered some goblin ambushers when I asked them to, but still refuse to do anything about the main threat to the fortress.  Painful, painful, painful...

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: August 29, 2010, 04:42:41 am »

I've had this problem before, not sure what causes it
All you need to do is tell your dwarves to move near the Forgotten beast, and they should engage it themselves
[ s ] [ a ] [ m ]
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: August 29, 2010, 04:51:09 am »

Thank you!  :D

One axedwarf had wandered near it, in a mined out section of the forges, and spent a long time being wailed on by the FB (I think he's lost a leg or two, but she's one of the few with full steel armour).  10 seconds after the squads got near the FB, the cook is hauling it away somewhere.  Hopefully not straight to the kitchen, but it wouldn't surprise me...

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: August 29, 2010, 05:33:26 am »

ugh, I hate fighting FB's, its not so much my dwarves get raped by them, more of the fact that it has deadly blood, and my guys have hammers... yeah not good combination...
Admittedly it took less than a season to train them, but I haven't been getting many migrants, (read I didn't get any this year, and last year they got torn apart by a dragon which was sitting outside my walls)

Anyway, How long will 6.4k food and 1.2k booze last a fortress of 86 dwarves?
I remember there was a ratio, but I couldn't find it
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: August 29, 2010, 05:37:50 am »

Anyway, How long will 6.4k food and 1.2k booze last a fortress of 86 dwarves?
I remember there was a ratio, but I couldn't find it
A healthy adult dwarf consumes approximately 18 units of drink per year.
A healthy adult dwarf consumes 8 to 9 units of food per year.
Quotes from magmawiki from articles regarding 40d, but I don't think that this has been changed.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:39:40 am by Laurin »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: August 29, 2010, 05:45:05 am »

Of course, Food gets rotten or stolen by vermin.

You'd probably be better off just ensuring that at the end of any given season you have (Dwarves x 3) Prepared Meals, & (Dwarves x 5) varied Booze. (3 & 5 should allow for some excess requirements, go higher if you're expecting Migrants).
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 1178