Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120178 times)

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2595 on: August 14, 2010, 11:28:27 am »

Experiments have been done on dropping things into water, and from memory the results were that the falling creature takes damage for the height it fell before it entered the water, and any height after that didn't count for damage purposes.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: August 14, 2010, 01:31:45 pm »

how do i weaken bolts/arrow in the raw? lowering the force of the bows and lowering the pentration size aint doing nothing.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: August 14, 2010, 01:37:07 pm »

Are Zombie Giant Cave Spiders capable of spitting webs?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2598 on: August 14, 2010, 02:04:48 pm »

Experiments have been done on dropping things into water, and from memory the results were that the falling creature takes damage for the height it fell before it entered the water, and any height after that didn't count for damage purposes.
This does not match the results I have seen.  I have seen experiments done which indicate that falling through water will actually partially cancel out falling through air, so that for example a creature which falls through 3 layers of air and then 3 layers of water will suffer less damage than a creature who only falls through 3 layers of air.  I do not know the exact ratio or if there is a cutoff point to this effect.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Icarosaurvus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: August 14, 2010, 02:57:13 pm »

I have a dwarf who, years ago, got a minor headwound. (His head was "dented")(He also got a cut on his ankle, but it did not impair his stand.)
Since then, he has simply lain in bed.
No visible health problems, not unconscious, just resting.
I tried removing the bed, but then another dwarf got the task of "recover wounded", and put him in another bed.
Is that bugger bedridden for the rest of his life because some kobold with a bronze dagger kicked him in the head?
Dwarven philosophers wonder not the meaning of life, for the meaning of life is to mine.
Rather, they ponder over the meaning of soap, a riddle no dwarf has yet found the answer to.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: August 14, 2010, 03:27:37 pm »

ya he's probably got brain damage that your medical team never bothered to diagnose, aka he's brain-dead.
Nom nom nom

keda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: August 14, 2010, 04:18:19 pm »

do falling constructed walls deconstruct in cave ins?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: August 14, 2010, 04:18:47 pm »

do falling constructed walls deconstruct in cave ins?
yes
Nom nom nom

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: August 14, 2010, 09:23:54 pm »

I'm currently dealing with a fb that is a humanoid composed of grim and filth. It has wings. Basically when it got into a workshop I walled of this workshop but it and dwarves seem to be climbing over the wall. Is this possible? I thought a wall on an underground z-lev would go all the way to the ceiling. what am I missing? here's a small screenshot if it helps.

My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2604 on: August 14, 2010, 09:54:12 pm »

It looks like the one tile of wall just north of the dead elephant is not constructed.  If you take a look at it you'll probably see it's suspended.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: August 14, 2010, 11:06:00 pm »

Oh bah. yeah I think you're right. I coulda sworn I saw someone building it. guess not. :(
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Aik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: August 15, 2010, 02:52:32 am »

Is there a limit on how long sieges last? I've been under siege by humans for years now, and a second human army came a few seasons ago. I'd kinda like to go outside again one day, maybe see some migrants again...

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: August 15, 2010, 04:26:33 am »

Why don't you just kill them? Send a pack of dogs, construct a ballista behind fortifications and make them come off their arses ;)

Aik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: August 15, 2010, 04:33:33 am »

I'd like to kill them, but I doubt we can. Last time I opened the gates to try and lure them in about five groups of kobolds and goblins ambushed and the humans didn't advance at all. Even if they did attack I'm not certain we'd win - they seem very well equipped and my traps are a bit lame...

On the bright side, my FPS has improved since killing all those goblins, so it's not quite so imperative that we kill them now.
Might be time to start working on that drowning trap, in any case...

Edit: Ah, nevermind. They finally left.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 05:12:51 am by Aik »

rmunn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: August 15, 2010, 04:56:51 am »

Is there some way to cycle through activity zones? When I'm finished using d-b-d to clear my storage rooms of stone and move it into a quantum stockpile, it's not always easy to remember whether I've turned that garbage dump off. Sometimes the first hint that I get that the zone is still active is when a later dump order, which is supposed to move expensive materials next to the moody dwarf's workshop, instead starts hauling the rough-cut emeralds clear across the fort to the old, forgotten-but-still-active, quantum stockpile I had left by the entrance. If I could get a list of all my activity zones, active or not, I could at least check all of them.
Meet the seven year-old girl Lokum Ishemavuz. Her hobbies include taking care of her pet vulture, playing in graveyards, and killing people before they have a chance to scream.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 1178