Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120225 times)

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2580 on: August 13, 2010, 10:43:23 pm »

What's wrong?

Are they in a Bars stockpile? The game won't usually recognize them if they aren't filed away where they belong.
I
It is in a bars stockpile. Is that the reason?

/edit
I tried to have it not in a bar stockpile, by simply removing the bar stockpile AND produce new charcoal. So both things are available and as my dwarves run happily around there, I guess a path can be found.
I also have bituminous coal inside AND outside of a stockpile. Now this is driving me crazy!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 10:57:05 pm by Sarganto »

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: August 13, 2010, 11:49:04 pm »

So... Even if you completely seal off an area and it has been light before then it will stay light? Is it some sort of bug? Because that is not how it's supposed to be.
And why won't anyone answer my blood question? Can I get blood from barrels to water somehow?

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: August 14, 2010, 12:11:54 am »

No, there's no way to transfer the contents of a barrel to anything. Barrels of blood, ichor, and the like are basically useless.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: August 14, 2010, 12:30:59 am »

What's wrong?

Are they in a Bars stockpile? The game won't usually recognize them if they aren't filed away where they belong.
I
It is in a bars stockpile. Is that the reason?

/edit
I tried to have it not in a bar stockpile, by simply removing the bar stockpile AND produce new charcoal. So both things are available and as my dwarves run happily around there, I guess a path can be found.
I also have bituminous coal inside AND outside of a stockpile. Now this is driving me crazy!

Have you forbidden or restricted the rock that the Smelter is made of?... eg: built the smelter out of Limestone or Dolomite and then restricted the use of that rock to flux-only? If so, you would have done that on the 'z' - Stones screen.

Is the stone that the Smelter is made of Forbidden?... check with the 't' key.
Never pet a burning dog.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: August 14, 2010, 12:53:03 am »

Oh well... I'm just gonna have to sacrifice someone. 2 more things.
Do butcheries leave blood on the floor where they butcher the animal?
Will blood fade from still water?

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: August 14, 2010, 05:59:57 am »

No and no.

Edit: To clarify the second 'no': no contaminant ever fades away. The game does not currently keep track of how much contaminant there is, so even the smallest unit of blood, vomit, ichor, goo, or other filth can spread to adjacent squares infinitely.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: August 14, 2010, 06:35:53 am »

Well then how am I gonna get bloody water? Is there a way to kill a tame animal so that it leaves blood?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: August 14, 2010, 06:54:50 am »

Drop it from a large height, or leave a hostile creature in the pool with it. Or just get a hostile creature into the pool and kill it with marksdwarves.

Leohoh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: August 14, 2010, 07:55:34 am »

My dwarfs are moving too slow... What it can be?

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: August 14, 2010, 07:56:24 am »

Hmm... If I drop it straight into water then will the water like... catch... it? Getting a hostile creature to that pool won't be easy. The pool is in a temple for Armok. The temple is 17 layers underground. The only way to get there is a small staircase that is also my main staircase. Oh and I got no military. I figure if I don't upset anyone they won't attack me. Except maybe kobolds and goblins but my cage traps will capture them. Oh and how to get a creature to stand still when it's high up? BTW I tried dropping a kitten inside a built cage but when I removed the floor around it then the cage just hovered in air. Maybe I could use that to my advantage and link it up with a lever. I hope the thing coming outside from the cage won't stay up there. I might try with a goblin I caught. I'll install traps though.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: August 14, 2010, 09:15:16 am »

Dwarves moving too slow: either your FPS is low or you haven't been giving them enough alcohol. A solution for both of them is to kill get rid of some dwarves.

Experiments have been done on dropping things into water, and from memory the results were that the falling creature takes damage for the height it fell before it entered the water, and any height after that didn't count for damage purposes.

If you want to drop a tamed creature it can't be in a cage, otherwise it won't take any damage. An easy way to drop a tamed animal is to use a pit zone over where you want it dropped. Hostile creatures have a nasty habit of turning on the dwarf taking them to be pitted.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: August 14, 2010, 09:23:00 am »

So what I have to do then is make a small ledge high over the water, designate a pit over the end where the water is directly below, choose an animal to put in the pit and then a dwarf will just drop the animal down? Are you sure it works that way?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: August 14, 2010, 09:26:33 am »

Yes.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: August 14, 2010, 09:35:39 am »

Ahh! A nice short answer. Very good! No confusion possible. (In this case.) I bet the poor dwarves don't even know they are dropping a helpless kitten down a few z-levels. (BTW how many meters is 1 z-level I think that it's about 3.) The dwarves probably think they are placing it carefully into a pit. Well nothing bad can happen if it fails. Now I'm going to practice drawing some artifacts from my game.

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: August 14, 2010, 10:28:20 am »

Can things die with impact on a theoretically infinite depth of water? Or, with sufficient height, from a thin (1 z level? Three?) layer of water?
Sig to be updated momentarily.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 1178