Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120229 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2565 on: August 13, 2010, 07:42:35 am »

The water carried there dries off before the water carrier gets back. And there is only 1 dwarf carrying water. How could I get more dwarves to carry water? I checked that I have many more buckets and many idle dwarves.
You're using fill pit/pond?

Each pit only generates one job at a time, so shrink your current pit and create a bunch more.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: August 13, 2010, 09:47:30 am »

Where are you getting the water from? If you're getting it from a river or other infinite water source you can divert it closer to where you're taking the water so the dwarves take less time on the whole trip.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: August 13, 2010, 10:03:43 am »

No problem I already got it thank you. No I have only small lakes. That was the main reason I didn't want to dug tunnels to it. The zone is filling nicely. (Though I had a problem with a section of the cavern collapsing and then it repeated saying something like: dwarf cancels fill pool item misplaced or destroyed. It said it like once a frame. So I had thousands of those messages.)
Oh and a previous question that wasn't answered: How to get blood from barrels to water?

Leohoh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: August 13, 2010, 12:52:14 pm »

What i can do with the wild creatures caged by my traps? I can slaught them? Tame? What do for example, with a caged goblin?
Caged goblins are good for killing. Build the cage in a room attach a lever and let your military have fun with them. There are lots of other ways to kill the little buggers.

And with wild animals?

Harbinger67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: August 13, 2010, 12:53:23 pm »

I have a mechanic who is stuck in a cage.  He was building some traps when an ambush arrived and he was knocked backwards and triggered his own cage trap.  I've tried constructing the cage somewhere then hitting q->a to bring up the assignment list and then unassigning him, but he won't leave the cage even when he is unassigned.  He is slightly injured, but not to the point where he wouldn't be able to move (i think his hand was hurt; all it says in the health menu is that his grasp is somewhat limited).

Any ideas?

*edit*

Woot, just as I posted this, it hit me.  Just had to build a lever and connect the cage to the lever and pull it, and POOF, dwarf is free :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 12:57:23 pm by Harbinger67 »

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: August 13, 2010, 01:12:29 pm »

Ok, so I build a smelter.
I dig out bituminous coal.
I make some charcoal in a wood furnace.

Now I should make coke in the smelter by throwing in the bituminous coal and the charcoal? Right?

Wrong.
The smelter tells me, that there is no task available and I should check for raw materials or fuel. But both is available!
What's wrong?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: August 13, 2010, 02:08:46 pm »

What's wrong?

Are they in a Bars stockpile? The game won't usually recognize them if they aren't filed away where they belong.
Never pet a burning dog.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: August 13, 2010, 03:10:36 pm »

Is it really coal? (there are gems that are similar coloured as bituminous coal)
If yes, is there a path to the coal? (one of the reasons why there might not be a path anymore would be a thawing river...
real rivers (in contrast to brooks) cannot be crossed without a  bridge, unless frozen  (or the creature is able to swim, of course))

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: August 13, 2010, 04:35:51 pm »

Are there burrows involved, with the smelters and coal not both in the same burrow?  (not sure if that's still an issue or not)

Also are you confident the coal (and/or charcoal) isn't currently part of a store-in-stockpile task? (which includes if the hauler is en route but hasn't picked it up yet)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: August 13, 2010, 08:02:36 pm »

Another possibility that I remembered while reading Biowraiths posting...
could it be that oyu have forbidden the coal?

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: August 13, 2010, 08:43:03 pm »

And with wild animals?

Some wild animals can be turned into war animals others are good for dinner. Elephants are great for both. I found that out in my current fort!
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: August 13, 2010, 08:53:56 pm »

If I were to channel out the entire ceiling of my meeting hall til it hit outside, then replace one whole Z-level with glass walls, will the game recognize the meeting hall was being "light" and therefore prevent cave adaptation? I don't want to use floor grates because then the goblin arrows would blot out the sun and my dwarves would have to eat in the shade.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: August 13, 2010, 08:59:13 pm »

I'm not sure of the answer to this, but you could build some walls around the hole that you made to the surface so that the goblins can't shoot down.

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: August 13, 2010, 09:01:40 pm »

Once a tile is Light Above Ground it stays that way so you can put solid rock above it and it'll still prevent cave adapt and miasma.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: August 13, 2010, 09:14:27 pm »

So once light, always light. Excellent. Thank you, gentlemen.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 1178