Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120279 times)

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2520 on: August 11, 2010, 07:30:55 pm »

A room contains all furniture that is within it. Not only is designating a room from every table tedious and unnecessary, it's counterproductive. A room that has another room within its boundaries has its value halved.

This is didn't know but was wondering about myself. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:37:21 pm by timtek »
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: August 11, 2010, 08:12:28 pm »

A quick question:

I've got a fort in 40d that I'd like to move over to 31.12. Is that even possible or shall my awesome, dragon-slaying dwarfs of Shellsling be left in 40d forever?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: August 11, 2010, 08:36:16 pm »

A quick question:

I've got a fort in 40d that I'd like to move over to 31.12. Is that even possible or shall my awesome, dragon-slaying dwarfs of Shellsling be left in 40d forever?

You could always wait till your 40d fort dies before you update.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: August 11, 2010, 08:53:23 pm »

But I'm kind of fond of the little buggers. First fort I've actually gotten to get self-sustaining and with a ruler. That, and it be nice to kill 'em all have FUN exploring the new caverns feature with the queen in the lead. 8D

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: August 11, 2010, 11:27:21 pm »

But I'm kind of fond of the little buggers. First fort I've actually gotten to get self-sustaining and with a ruler. That, and it be nice to kill 'em all have FUN exploring the new caverns feature with the queen in the lead. 8D

No chance of that. Even if you could (miraculously) migrate over the fortress and its map, you would have its map, which as you know, has no caverns. You need to gen a new world, with caverns and titans and forgotten beasties, in order to fight cavern creatures, titans and forgotten beasties.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: August 11, 2010, 11:58:48 pm »

He could light his booze supply on fire, destroy the stills, and turn the water into obsidian. You know, for science.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: August 12, 2010, 01:08:09 am »

I have piles of sand and yellow sand all over my snowy entrances and courtyard in the glaciers.  I'm thinking the dwarves dragged it around from the stone depths of the fort and other source (mixed blood?).  Is there any way to use that like regular sand?  I can't seem to set up a sand collection area over that.  Is this the equivalent of "dirt" or pools of blood and therefore unusable?

I'm pretty sure I don't have any soil/sand layers.  It goes ice, ice, ice, ice, chalk, marble, etc.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: August 12, 2010, 01:31:09 am »

What's after marble? More ice?

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: August 12, 2010, 02:43:36 am »

More rock layers.  Phyllite, granite, slate, gabbro.  The first cavern is right at the first chalk layer.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: August 12, 2010, 05:18:39 am »

Ooh! Ooh! I have a quick question. Where is the button to stop my dwarves from going outside? If it's not there anymore then how to make them not go outside?

vehka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: August 12, 2010, 06:13:56 am »

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: August 12, 2010, 07:06:00 am »

How do I set up farming on a map with no surface water? Do I just have to brave the caverns and try not to starve to death in the meantime?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: August 12, 2010, 07:25:03 am »

How do I set up farming on a map with no surface water? Do I just have to brave the caverns and try not to starve to death in the meantime?

Yes. It shouldn't be hard to wall off a little section of the caverns quickly enough to avoid letting anything inside. You don't need much space to set up all the farm plots you'll need for quite a while.

You can also farm on the surface if you have seeds for surface plants.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: August 12, 2010, 08:06:27 am »

Well you can survive by eating meat. If you have enough animals to breed with then it shouldn't be a problem. With no water it is kinda' hard. You can't dig holes and wait for it to rain can you? The only water source would then be underground lakes. But if you have plants on the surface then you can just grow surface plants that require no mud. Like wild strawberries. I have quite many times just grown those and survived fine.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: August 12, 2010, 08:12:24 am »

I found the underground water. There's a small tribe of hostile fishmen near it, so I'm working on building a well.  Small problem is I didn't bring any ropes or cloth :P

There's no soil on the surface so I can't even grow surface plants without muddying the ground.

EDIT:

Question, what variable do I change in the worldgen to make more rivers?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:52:30 am by Passive Fist »
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 1178