Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120288 times)

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2505 on: August 11, 2010, 08:49:28 am »

I need help constructing a pump. Since all my water is salty. And I've run out of brewable stuff, which is wierd since I have a bit plump farm: s
This is my situation.

Blue = Water (Ocean)
Brown = Layers
Green = Door
Black = Wall/Floor
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I tried it, (copying my saves), but I just flodded the whole damn thing :/
umm... where did you place your pump? It has to have walls near unpassable tile in order not to flood around.

Red = Pump
This is how I did.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Should I've placed the pump one tile below?
I don't know how to do Windmills and Waterwheels. And my time is limited on how long I can take on doing this, one of my dwarf died of thirst last time I was finished.
So I need to pump it manualy untill I get that sorted.

the pump pumps the water from adjacent tile below to its own level. So yes, basically you pumped that room full of water. Either place a door one level higher, or move pump one level lower. That way it shouldn't overflow

The pump tile needs to have an open space so I can use the pump.
But the water flows throught that tile and floods everything.

Seen from above. The pump is set on pump from east, thats right?

xxxxxx~xxx <- Flood; This is the path where the operator will reach the pump.
xx___~xxxx< - Flood; This is the path where the operator will reach the pump.
x|.....|~xxxx <- Flood (this is here where the pump operator should stand.)
x|.....oo~xxx <- I've channeld water in a canal under this tile.
x|___|xxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx

I've found this: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pressure#Hatches is it possible to use a tile with a hatch over it for watersource to a pump?
Hatchthingy didn't work.

I did solve this, by using this http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pressure#Diagonal_Flow to neutralizer pressure.
Now I just have to fix my food problem ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:52:40 am by Ladde »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: August 11, 2010, 09:48:32 am »

Are Mac saves compatible with the PC version of the game?

I have a succession game going, and I use DF on a Mac, but probably everyone else uses a PC.
I assume you figured it out on your own, but just in case:
Yes.

And a save from pretty much any DF2010 version is compatible with the latest version.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: August 11, 2010, 09:54:27 am »

I have a little question, tried the search to no avail.

In the [R]oom/Building List, some of the rooms are coloured in red, with a bracketed capital S, like so.

Modest Bedroom
Modest Bedroom

Modest Bedroom (S)         <----
Grand Dining Room (S)      <----

At first I thought it meant suspended, but the rooms are all complete.  What does it mean?
I'm pretty sure it means the room is shared.

My Mayors always use their bedroom as an office and dining room, and it's always red.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: August 11, 2010, 11:42:52 am »

Ok I've got  a little question:

I've been toying around with an arena with as main combatant my pet hydra.
He doesn't do badly although considering his size his combat prowess is quite pitiful, but atleast the fights are long and with lots of gore.

Recently however I put him against an ogre woodcutter, he had something called a greataxe or something. 't was quite a big axe.
Long story short the hydra survived but with a gruesome amount of injuries.

The two worst injuries are the following: he skull and brain sixth head is broken (broken brain  :o) and his head and neck first head is gone.
It is quite unusual for a creature to run around with a broken brain and a decapicated head, but he has five more working heads so no biggy.

Anyway, in mythology hydras are known to regenrate lost bodyparts. Specificly whenever you would cut off it's head a new one would grow back (grow back double according to some myths?) and I was wondering wether this will happen in DF.
So, will he be back to his healthy self at some point or is he doomed to run around with only five working heads?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2509 on: August 11, 2010, 11:54:04 am »

No creatures in DF regrow lost body parts, not even hydras.  Hydras are actually quite vulnerable to edged weapons (axes and swords) as they have a lot of heads and necks to get cut off, and while the loss of one head is no longer automatically fatal it causes a lot of pain and blood loss and can cause the hydra to bleed to death or pass out from pain.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: August 11, 2010, 12:51:34 pm »

How do I stockpile bones, that can be turned into ammo? And just that?

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: August 11, 2010, 12:55:25 pm »

My Mayors always use their bedroom as an office and dining room, and it's always red.

Ooh, that could be it actually, the dining tables are all their own room, but they all overlap each other.  Should I just designate one table as the room and have the others fall within it?  Would that still work?

Incoming questions about barracks, bedrooms and internal doors also, once I decide what I want to say.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2512 on: August 11, 2010, 12:56:07 pm »

There's no option to automatically stockpile usable bones at the moment.  The best you can do is stockpile refuse by creature type, so if you're butchering a lot of cows you can set a cow refuse only stockpile, and you'll get cow bones, skulls, hair, cartilage, horn, and other such crap in it, but there's no option to set a stockpile to bones only.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: August 11, 2010, 01:22:28 pm »

There's no option to automatically stockpile usable bones at the moment.  The best you can do is stockpile refuse by creature type, so if you're butchering a lot of cows you can set a cow refuse only stockpile, and you'll get cow bones, skulls, hair, cartilage, horn, and other such crap in it, but there's no option to set a stockpile to bones only.
Oh I see.
I have a refuse pile inside, at the end of a small corridor in case of misma. I guess that will do, to get bones out.

Icarosaurvus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: August 11, 2010, 01:53:06 pm »

How does one get crossbowmen to use bolts?
My crossbowmen have been attempting to bludgeon goblin thieves with their crossbows. (In their defense, though, the thieves have been snatching dog "children" (a.i. puppies), rather than dwarf children, so perhaps it would be a waste of a bolt.)
Dwarven philosophers wonder not the meaning of life, for the meaning of life is to mine.
Rather, they ponder over the meaning of soap, a riddle no dwarf has yet found the answer to.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: August 11, 2010, 03:40:54 pm »

You need to give your dwarves quivers in order for them to carry bolts. And as for the goblins, cut them some slack; puppy's and dwarf babies just look like little bundles of fur to them.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: August 11, 2010, 03:50:36 pm »

How do I assing a burrow for a masondwarf?
It doesn't say how I should do it in the wikia: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Burrows#Burrows_as_Dedicated_Workshops

Nvm, I found the "Add citizen" in the burrow menu.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:52:50 pm by Ladde »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: August 11, 2010, 04:08:04 pm »

Ooh, that could be it actually, the dining tables are all their own room, but they all overlap each other.  Should I just designate one table as the room and have the others fall within it?  Would that still work?

Incoming questions about barracks, bedrooms and internal doors also, once I decide what I want to say.

A room contains all furniture that is within it. Not only is designating a room from every table tedious and unneccessary, it's counterproductive. A room that has another room within its boundaries has its value halved.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akivara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: August 11, 2010, 05:06:25 pm »

Of the dwarven melee weapons (axe, mace, sword, spear, hammer), which is the best?  I've noticed that axes chop off limbs/heads/lower bodies up really well when axedwarf guards from caravans used them.  And is silver really the best metal to use for bludgeoning weapons?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: August 11, 2010, 05:13:16 pm »

I have a little question, tried the search to no avail.

In the [R]oom/Building List, some of the rooms are coloured in red, with a bracketed capital S, like so.

Modest Bedroom
Modest Bedroom

Modest Bedroom (S)         <----
Grand Dining Room (S)      <----

At first I thought it meant suspended, but the rooms are all complete.  What does it mean?

this usually means that something in the room is suspended, should it be furniture placing, or some other order. If there is no such works, then idk what it means. Must be some bug.
\

I am fairly sure it means "shared". ie. there is overlap with another room.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 1178