Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120381 times)

Leohoh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2415 on: August 08, 2010, 01:20:45 pm »

What i can do with the wild creatures caged by my traps? I can slaught them? Tame? What do for example, with a goblin?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:01:33 pm by Leohoh »

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: August 08, 2010, 01:27:53 pm »

soooo whats the deal with how powerful weapons are now???

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: August 08, 2010, 02:10:08 pm »

Thanks, but I've hit a bit of a snag.

It lists my training options as "War Dog" and "Hunting Dog".  Generic "Animal" tasks stretch only to include capturing and taming.

The menu says "dog" but when you queue them up it says "animal."

Do war animals breed? I bought a pair of mandrills, one of each gender, and trained them to be war mandrills. However, there haven't been any babies after years. Should I have left them as normal tame animals?
Trained Animals do breed. Only case animals do not breed is when caged.
I think maybe there's a problem. I also trained a pair of war elephants that I bought but they won't breed either. Maybe traded animals are sterile  >:(

Or maybe they're the same gender.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: August 08, 2010, 03:02:28 pm »

I built stairs up about 11-z levels and 3 floor tiles going straight out from them. I built a cage with a fox in it, and placed a PIT zone next to it, and tried to pit, but when the dwarf pulled him out of cage, they got interrupted, and fox ran away... what am I doing wrong?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: August 08, 2010, 03:03:57 pm »

Are Mac saves compatible with the PC version of the game?

I have a succession game going, and I use DF on a Mac, but probably everyone else uses a PC.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: August 08, 2010, 03:09:17 pm »

@Aklyon - you can not train cats. Here is list of animals that are...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: August 08, 2010, 03:21:02 pm »

I built stairs up about 11-z levels and 3 floor tiles going straight out from them. I built a cage with a fox in it, and placed a PIT zone next to it, and tried to pit, but when the dwarf pulled him out of cage, they got interrupted, and fox ran away... what am I doing wrong?
The fox escaped is all.  Every time you move a caged creature out of a cage it can escape.  I believe you need a strong dwarf to do the moving to minimize the escape chance.

Try surrounding the area with cage traps to at least recapture them easier.

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: August 08, 2010, 03:24:14 pm »

A material is stronger or weaker than others based on its various properties in the raws. For weapons and armour, essentially, adamantine is better than steel is better than bronze is better than copper. Adamantine is the lightest material, and thus makes terrible terrible blunt weapons, but holds the best edge possible in the game, making it the best for swords and axes. Steel is excellent all around and should be your primary armament material. Although it would be pretty awesome to have an honour guard of dwarves dressed in gold or rose gold armour.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: August 08, 2010, 03:24:32 pm »

I asked this a few days ago but didn't get a response, i think it got lost between hospitals and farms. Do civs die with fortress's? Can I use the same civ twice and still get caravans nobles etc?
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: August 08, 2010, 03:25:47 pm »

They survive even if you don't.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: August 08, 2010, 03:28:41 pm »

Thanks double A. =D
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: August 08, 2010, 03:45:29 pm »

A material is stronger or weaker than others based on its various properties in the raws. For weapons and armour, essentially, adamantine is better than steel is better than bronze is better than copper. Adamantine is the lightest material, and thus makes terrible terrible blunt weapons, but holds the best edge possible in the game, making it the best for swords and axes. Steel is excellent all around and should be your primary armament material. Although it would be pretty awesome to have an honour guard of dwarves dressed in gold or rose gold armour.

lol i meant Axe better than sword Warhammers terrible? It changed alot since last version and i cant figure it out

From what ive seen in the game mining picks are the best weapons... :/

OddProphet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: August 08, 2010, 04:24:04 pm »

Mining picks are the most powerful weapon in the game...

This is more of a matter of the average pick user's skill than any raw statistic.  If someone with a pick is going into combat, he has probably been mining with it for some time.  You see, when a miner engages in "Wrestling" or any hand-to-hand, said miner defaults to the pick in hand.  Skill is calculated by Mining Skill.  For example:

Urist McImmigrant and Urist McMayor are working on an exploratory mining shaft.  Breaking into a cavern, they are set upon by a pair of olm people.  Urist McImmigrant's pick is slow and unwieldy, but Urist McMayor can slay both monsters and cook a souffle before his companion bleeds out.

Hope that helps.
They aren't coffins: They're lunchboxes 

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: August 08, 2010, 05:46:50 pm »

Mining picks are the most powerful weapon in the game...

This is more of a matter of the average pick user's skill than any raw statistic.  If someone with a pick is going into combat, he has probably been mining with it for some time.  You see, when a miner engages in "Wrestling" or any hand-to-hand, said miner defaults to the pick in hand.  Skill is calculated by Mining Skill.  For example:

Urist McImmigrant and Urist McMayor are working on an exploratory mining shaft.  Breaking into a cavern, they are set upon by a pair of olm people.  Urist McImmigrant's pick is slow and unwieldy, but Urist McMayor can slay both monsters and cook a souffle before his companion bleeds out.

Hope that helps.

This is why you use legendary miners for exploratory mining.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: August 08, 2010, 06:20:28 pm »

thank you and lol he was a legendary miner heads literally flew everywhere

but my question is still here...

what is the order of weapon superirority?
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 1178