Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120572 times)

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2220 on: July 27, 2010, 01:55:12 pm »

It isn't taking longer because of the version, it just takes longer sometimes depending on what is going on with the civilizations.

When it goes REALLY fast, that is because all the civs died... so better slow than that.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: July 27, 2010, 01:59:29 pm »

good to know. Is there anything to be gained by letting it run longer as opposed to shorter if you dont really care about reading about the legends?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: July 27, 2010, 02:02:01 pm »

For one thing, civilizations get more complex, so it's more likely that you'll get unusual liasons.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: July 27, 2010, 02:12:45 pm »

i want to smooth walls but its not working. I try to designate the actual walls, nothing shows up. I try to designate the floor directly infront of the walls, nothing shows up. Like, not a designation that never gets done, but no designation. They're natural walls, can i not smooth/engrave those? I'm doing something dumb, aren't I?

zmc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: July 27, 2010, 02:46:41 pm »

You're trying to smoothen sand/clay/... etc. walls. You need rock. If you have excess rocks lying around, you can dig away the sand, then build walls over that, then engrave those.
This is Dwarf Fortress, not some pansy game that you can actually win.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2225 on: July 27, 2010, 02:49:32 pm »

You're trying to smoothen sand/clay/... etc. walls. You need rock. If you have excess rocks lying around, you can dig away the sand, then build walls over that, then engrave those.
You can't engrave constructed walls.  You need natural rock walls if you want to engrave.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: July 27, 2010, 02:54:07 pm »

In 0.31.12, world generation of a normal size region (rather than island) seems to take ages. Half an hour on a Core 2 Duo 6300. Is anyone else seeing this happen?

I've noticed this with large island vs large region. Large island took about 5-20 minutes. Large region took forever, like hours. I tried this at work and at home on two different pc's.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: July 27, 2010, 02:54:58 pm »

Also, the smooth/engrave designation will be invisible unless you're still in the D-menu or and engraver is currently working that square.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: July 27, 2010, 02:56:58 pm »

You're trying to smoothen sand/clay/... etc. walls.

yup. peat looks deceptively like rock sometimes, you forget...

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: July 27, 2010, 03:10:40 pm »

Is there a program that allow me to just alter the way a map will be, not as precise as PerfectWorldDF
Like if I want a large undergroundcavern and magma, I can set parameters to allow it but not have to create it myself.

I like the suprise of what you find. Although I'd like to have some adventure in caverns.
And maybe able to set how hostile Goblins are etc.
As it is now, all my forts (around 5) have all been quite peaceful.
Cheers.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: July 27, 2010, 03:15:38 pm »

You could just alter the worldgen parameters directly.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2231 on: July 27, 2010, 03:18:35 pm »

In 0.31.12, world generation of a normal size region (rather than island) seems to take ages. Half an hour on a Core 2 Duo 6300. Is anyone else seeing this happen?
I've noticed this with large island vs large region. Large island took about 5-20 minutes. Large region took forever, like hours. I tried this at work and at home on two different pc's.
I think with 1050 years the amount of historical incidents gets quite big and the memory allocation goes over 600 MB. Try a 700 year history and fewer "Mountain Caves" which are homes to item-stealers.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Silly Dworf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: July 27, 2010, 03:27:05 pm »

How do I avoid aquifer when choosing a home. Like... seriously.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2233 on: July 27, 2010, 03:44:55 pm »

How do I avoid aquifer when choosing a home. Like... seriously.
Embark near a mountain or hills. Preferably forest and stream too.

A volcano embark (set worldgen volcano count high) is quick magma but a real bitch to view 30 Z-levels of outdoors.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Dewar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: July 28, 2010, 12:53:14 am »

I'm stuck with one miner at the moment and as a result, it takes a long time to mine rooms. Is there any way to change someones proffesion and turn them into a miner?

Yes and no. Are you using Dwarf Therapist? If not, you should be, I can't remember how to do it in Dorf Fortress. Do a search on it. What you can do is enable mining for another dwarf, although this doesnt necessarily change his profession, which is just the skill he's best at IIRC. Another little caveat is whether you have another pick on hand. If there's nothing to mine with, he wont be able to help.

A quick note. Unless it's been solved on the Dwarf Therapist side (I wouldn't know, I don't use it) assigning jobs to dwarves that involve picking something up (miner and woodcutter) can be a bit glitchy.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 1178