Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120698 times)

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2160 on: July 24, 2010, 09:40:31 pm »

Been away for a good while, could someone remind me what the "correct" method is to update to a new minor release?

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: July 24, 2010, 10:30:17 pm »

I dodged into a body of water with no ramps out in adventure mode. I'm a good swimmer, so I'm just kinda chilling here, but I can't travel out or leave.

Halp?

Is there any way to get out of here?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:32:10 pm by Thelogman »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: July 25, 2010, 12:42:39 am »

Been away for a good while, could someone remind me what the "correct" method is to update to a new minor release?
It's easy.

1) Download the new version.
2) Install it into a new folder.
3) Copy the save folder from your old version to the new version.
4) Play.

I had problems with one of the updates. The game wasn't registering that I had a loadable save in the save folder, so it wasn't giving me the Load Game option. I got the option back by creating a new game (I used a pocket world, and did an easy embark on the a random spot, it took like 30 seconds), and then everything played fine.

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: July 25, 2010, 04:48:11 am »

I dodged into a body of water with no ramps out in adventure mode. I'm a good swimmer, so I'm just kinda chilling here, but I can't travel out or leave.

Halp?

Is there any way to get out of here?

Can you hold alt and move in the up/west direction (or whatever is relevant)?

My little question is, will dwarves get good moods from mist on the other side of a glass window? I haven't played dwarf mode in a long time, but I found a really nice site with a natural waterfall/cliff system while adventuring. I plan on setting up my fort around bridges that my dwarves have to walk along past the waterfall, but there's also a lot of potentially fun flying critters in the mod I'm playing.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #2164 on: July 25, 2010, 05:35:45 am »

My little question is, will dwarves get good moods from mist on the other side of a glass window?

I'm pretty sure they have to actually get hit by the mist for it to have an effect.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: July 25, 2010, 05:41:38 am »

Can anyone explain cleaning better to me?
What will dwarves clean?
When will they clean it?
Does having soap help?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: July 25, 2010, 06:01:31 am »

My little question is, will dwarves get good moods from mist on the other side of a glass window?

I'm pretty sure they have to actually get hit by the mist for it to have an effect.

Thanks. I guess I'll have to be a bit more creative. Or maybe I'll just set things up to deal with the inevitable tantrum spirals :)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: July 25, 2010, 08:12:42 am »

On the embark screen, is the distance between you and your dwarf civilization a factor in trade and how many migrants you'll get? Will I only get small migrant waves if I'm far from other dwarf cities even though they're still on my neighbours list?
Thanks, Cheese

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2168 on: July 25, 2010, 08:23:02 am »

What will dwarves clean?
Smoothed floor or constructed floor tiles indoors.  Also themselves, sometimes.

When will they clean it?
When they don't have any higher-priority jobs to do.  Cleaning seems to be low priority.

Does having soap help?
Seems to be required only for cleaning themselves and not for cleaning floor tiles.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

zmc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: July 25, 2010, 08:43:14 am »

-Is there a "go to z-level" key? For example if I want to go from 145 to 102 quickly.

-Is it possbile to type parts of a dwarf's name in the "u view" to filter the list?
This is Dwarf Fortress, not some pansy game that you can actually win.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: July 25, 2010, 08:48:39 am »

-Is there a "go to z-level" key? For example if I want to go from 145 to 102 quickly.

Yes, Go to the z-level, press h, select the key you wish to go there from the list and press z. Then when you press the key it should go there.

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: July 25, 2010, 10:10:11 am »

If a dwarf makes something out of a tree - it takes an ENTIRE TREE! .. AN ENTIRE LIFE!! to make a chest or a chair. You weren't effective, you wasted tree. It's unforgiveable. The elves hate it.

Dwarfs don't make some pussy chairs or beds, no. They're making these heavy, industrial motherfuckers. That's why it takes a whole tree.
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: July 25, 2010, 10:11:06 am »

In un-modified newest-release DF, without any other addons, are dogs still the only animals that can be trained into war animals, or can other as well? I know Mayday's pack adds the requisite tag to a lot of creatures that don't have it in the base game.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: July 25, 2010, 12:52:50 pm »

In un-modified newest-release DF, without any other addons, are dogs still the only animals that can be trained into war animals, or can other as well? I know Mayday's pack adds the requisite tag to a lot of creatures that don't have it in the base game.

Here's your answer.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: July 25, 2010, 12:54:02 pm »

Here's your answer.

Yeah, I checked that, but I'm suspicious of it because the list there is the same list that Mayday had modded to be trainable, so I thought the page was edited by someone using Mayday's mod who didn't realize Mayday includes edited raws & wanted to check. If I'm just being a suspicious ***** then apologies =)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 01:10:44 pm by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 1178