Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122656 times)

Hangedman

• Bay Watcher
  • Here, at the limit of this quiet world
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2010, 08:11:20 pm »

How am I supposed to mud what should already be arable soil with no available water source anywhere nearby without wasting a huge amount of time digging some elaborate channel from halfway across the map or something?
No, I am not ready to embark, thank you very much

Ziven

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 05, 2010, 09:21:17 pm »

Alright, so I just started playing this game. got an adventure mode going and was ordered to apparently kill a bronze colossus as my first mission. The only problem is that, before I can march off to my doom, I can't even get out of the travel menu. What buttons in what order must be pressed to fix this? Apparently spamming all of them doesn't work.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 05, 2010, 09:27:35 pm »

Were the skeletons you butchered from animals that had already been designated to be butchered?

My problem is that a cat died, rotted away to a skeleton, and is not taking up space in my stockpiles. Butcher a dead animal doesn't work, I get a message that there's nothing to butcher.

Nick

C0nscript

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 05, 2010, 09:38:25 pm »

If half a farm plot is on muddied soil, but the other half isn't, can i still farm? I'm guessing that's the reason why my farmer would rather jack off at the barracks then plant seeds

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2010, 09:44:08 pm »

Hangedman- You're probably screwed, find some aboveground seeds and get to it.
Ziven- Default is > I believe.
Nick- Supposedly the corpse needs to be near the butcher's shop to work (at least in 40d) so try having it stockpiled right next to it.
C0nscript- That is indeed your problem, going by what I've heard from other people.

I'd still like a hand with my "plaster? Hospitals don't need plaster, silly human" all of my dwarves are giving me.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 05, 2010, 10:03:31 pm »

The wiki apparently now has quite a good article which works for 2010. Maybe read it again. A few times  ;) then ask a more specific question.

According to the wiki I should be having no problems.

In the military screens I set my dwarves to use these specific weapons, and I have a non-busy, non-lazy Arsenal Dwarf.

But if I give them any kind of order, they drop their weapons before rushing off to fight.

I don't know how it can get more specific than that.

Incidentally, a fortress whose military is always unarmed doesn't tend to last very long, as one could guess.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:27:28 pm by Lumbajak »

marcbyrne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 05, 2010, 10:07:18 pm »

Were the skeletons you butchered from animals that had already been designated to be butchered?

My problem is that a cat died, rotted away to a skeleton, and is not taking up space in my stockpiles. Butcher a dead animal doesn't work, I get a message that there's nothing to butcher.

Nick

Is the skeleton outdoors?  If so, you may need to set 'dwarfs gather refuse from outdoors'.  It defaults to 'ignore'.  Hit 'o' for the orders screen and then 'r' for refuse options, I believe.  That might help.  I think the skeleton will need to be in a stockpile to count and this should get it there.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #217 on: April 05, 2010, 10:34:01 pm »

Asked this earlier. It got lost.
Does anybody know if I equip my dwarves with quivers, crossbows, and enough bolts and then turn off ALL other jobs and assign them to a barracks with training enabled, but not set them TOO training. will it be enough to make them train their crossbow skills when personally training?
last time I'm asking -_- does individual training work if I give them crossbows, bolts, quivers, and targets to work with?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2010, 10:53:14 pm »

ELVES.
Is there a way to fix the bug that causes merchants to get stuck a tile from my depot?
Elves are here and they have tons of animals and one got stuck and they won't do anything and it's summer. :(

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #219 on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:26 am »

According to the wiki I should be having no problems.

In the military screens I set my dwarves to use these specific weapons, and I have a non-busy, non-lazy Arsenal Dwarf.

But if I give them any kind of order, they drop their weapons before rushing off to fight.

I don't know how it can get more specific than that.

Incidentally, a fortress whose military is always unarmed doesn't tend to last very long, as one could guess.
Much more specific than last time.
My forts keep crashing before I get that far, or maybe the "compress on save bug" is screwing my saves up... So pointing you to the wiki was actually the most helpful I could be.

I'm still struggling to get my hunter, to actually hunt.
With only 7 dwarfs I don't need an arsenal Dwarf,
I've assigned  bolts to my hunters,
hunting is turned on in the dwarfs labors.
The bolts are where he dropped them at embark as is every other hunting utensil.

What have I missed?
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 06, 2010, 03:07:45 am »

How am I supposed to mud what should already be arable soil with no available water source anywhere nearby without wasting a huge amount of time digging some elaborate channel from halfway across the map or something?
Possibly, by waiting for a memory editor to be released for this version so you can generate a mound of water somewhere?
In the situation you describe, move your farm to the water or move the water to the farm. Only two options really!
Garrie.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 06, 2010, 03:21:36 am »

Problem:
In the "Manager" screen, when I try to type (eg) wooden door, as I press SPACE the menu level backs out.
What do I need to change here please?
I want to use space to go back through menus (ie, "instead of escape"), BUT I want to be able to use SPACE as a SPACE BAR when I type a string.
If that's not enough read the post I quoted for more.
Any advice? (I edited interface.txt to use space instead of esc to back out of screens).
Garrie.

EvilCartyen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 06, 2010, 05:02:17 am »

Losing your expedition leader means losing the ability to appoint people to important positions. My expedition leader decided that dodging over a 10Z edge was a great way to avoid being scratched by a giant mole.

Will I eventually get a new expedition leader/will the dorfs elect a mayor as normal/am I doomed?

Jonlissla

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 06, 2010, 09:24:09 am »

Will I eventually get a new expedition leader/will the dorfs elect a mayor as normal/am I doomed?

If I remember correctly, they will appoint a new leader soon enough.

Got a question; How do I make the playing screen bigger? I can't zoom out, and it feels stupid playing with 70% of the screen being black.

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 06, 2010, 09:28:10 am »

Since the new version, my tileset now shows engraved walls with the images of what has actually been carved on them. I find this pretty annoying and confusing when my dining room walls suddenly becomes a ring of trees and barrels. How would I go about editing this to put them back to the older depiction of engraving?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 1178