Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120066 times)

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2025 on: July 16, 2010, 08:05:10 pm »

Sorry If this was asked previously, I did read through a lot of this post but not all of it. it is 160+ pages. Anyways when I'm in designation mode some of my floors are showing up as uppercase flashing C's. What does this mean and should I do something about it?
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: July 16, 2010, 08:12:04 pm »

Sorry If this was asked previously, I did read through a lot of this post but not all of it. it is 160+ pages. Anyways when I'm in designation mode some of my floors are showing up as uppercase flashing C's. What does this mean and should I do something about it?

Upper case means it is a construction. As such it can not be digged through and only modified via cave in or deconstruction.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: July 16, 2010, 08:37:13 pm »

To expand: A flashing C means that the tile in question was created through the (c)onstructions submenu of the (b)uild menu. If the tile is flashing a green C, that means that it is a floor or wall tile built on the same Z-level that you are currently on. A red C means that the floor is the top of a wall constructed on the Z-level below you showing through a hole in the floor. A red C floor operates identically to a natural floor in all respects save one: they cannot be engraved. A green C floor allows you to build most furniture, but (c)onstructing a wall and a few other buildings will reqire you to dismantle it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

pmcatnip

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: July 16, 2010, 09:18:45 pm »

I figured out how to get those buggy animals out of the cages using a lever.  They were different because on the 'u' screen most animals say Animal Name (Tame)      Tame, but those guys said Animal Name (Tame)      Friendly.  They ran away though, except for one I'd tethered.  The tethered animal gave birth lately.  Apparently animals recovered from a destroyed caravan are still good for breeding.  The lever trick also worked on the trapped animals once transferred to a cage, and they also ran away.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: July 16, 2010, 10:05:07 pm »

I reclaimed a fortress that got all killed off, so I have a lot of bodies to get rid of. What are the pros/cons of using: A, the graveyard pile, B, coffins, and C, just dumping everything into magma? Additionally, even though human and goblin bodies don't get put in the graveyard, I still can't use their bones, right?

pmcatnip

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: July 16, 2010, 11:26:16 pm »

One of my dwarves just had a second baby.  She's holding the older one, and the three-day-old infant is wandering the fortress alone.  Is that normal?  She's also depressed after not finding what she wanted in a strange mood.  If/when she dies, what happens to the babies?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: July 16, 2010, 11:37:48 pm »

Unless they off themselves before they become children, they'll be fine.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

pmcatnip

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: July 17, 2010, 02:52:52 am »

Unless they off themselves before they become children, they'll be fine.
Thanks.

If I make a door non-pet passable, does that go for captured enemies as well?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: July 17, 2010, 02:58:04 am »

No. You have to lock the door completely to stop captured enemies.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: July 17, 2010, 05:01:14 am »

I just pierced an aquifer from the bottom. Right above my main stairway. To drain some of the water I carved fortifications in the bottom floor. Two seconds later one of my miners fell through the fortifications into the cavern system.

In 40d fortifications would have prevented that. Has this changed?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: July 17, 2010, 05:08:49 am »

I beleive that creatures sometimes passed through fortifications even in 40d. I remember reading about an alligator that got in that way somewhere.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: July 17, 2010, 07:25:36 am »

Is there a way to order my dwarves to NOT reload cage traps?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2037 on: July 17, 2010, 08:55:13 am »

Is there a way to order my dwarves to NOT reload cage traps?
Either forbid the traps, or assign your dwarves to a burrow that doesn't include where the traps are.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: July 17, 2010, 09:09:09 am »

I reclaimed a fortress that got all killed off, so I have a lot of bodies to get rid of. What are the pros/cons of using: A, the graveyard pile, B, coffins, and C, just dumping everything into magma? Additionally, even though human and goblin bodies don't get put in the graveyard, I still can't use their bones, right?

Unless no one knows who those dwarfs are, go ahead and use them! If they do know them, the untombed dwarfs will begin to rot and cause unhappy thoughts to their friends. "Has had to endure the decay of a friend," something like that. Also, make sure those bodies are somewhere far away from the fortress; you don't want them stinking up the place.

Although, dumping them into magma is more befitting to a dwarf. I'd go with that one. Yes, goblin and human bones can still be used for stuff, just put it in a refuse pile (not sure about the graveyard) next to your crafter's shop.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: July 17, 2010, 11:24:53 am »

Is there any way to remove down staircases?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 1178