Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120016 times)

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1995 on: July 15, 2010, 04:20:30 pm »

Create a furniture stockpile. The dwarves should haul the floodgate to it.

I've got a 'finished goods' pile. is furniture any different?
Finished goods are generally handheld trinkets. They're generally only good for trade. They cannot be constructed. So any actual furniture or 'buildings' (floodgates, grates) or building components (anvils, pipe sections) you make belong in a furniture stockpile

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: July 15, 2010, 04:21:41 pm »

Ropes and chains are the exception. They go in the finished goods stockpile instead of the furniture one.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: July 15, 2010, 04:34:43 pm »

Ropes and chains are the exception. They go in the finished goods stockpile instead of the furniture one.

You can always specify your stockpiles to stick ropes in with furniture and not with crapgoods.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

psilocybes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: July 15, 2010, 04:36:13 pm »

Finished goods are generally handheld trinkets. They're generally only good for trade. They cannot be constructed. So any actual furniture or 'buildings' (floodgates, grates) or building components (anvils, pipe sections) you make belong in a furniture stockpile

sexy thanks!

Another question.
Can i transfer saves between versions? Think I had .03 before and now I have .10. can i just move the saves folder?

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: July 15, 2010, 04:38:04 pm »

You can always specify your stockpiles to stick ropes in with furniture and not with crapgoods.
This is probably because they're abstracted out to be small enough to be stored in bins, which you really couldn't do with doors.

Two other exceptions are animal traps and cages. These go in animal stockpiles.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: July 15, 2010, 04:52:29 pm »

3 questions this time;

1. Where are mugs on the "bring goods for trade" menu? I can't seem to find them anywhere..
Last time I checked mugs didn't have a place in the "bring goods to trade menu."

To find them you have to search for "mug." Type s, type mug into the search field, and it will show you all the mugs. If you have goblets you'll have to search for those, too.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: July 15, 2010, 05:38:08 pm »

If a dwarf loves mountains, do they get a happy thought from seeing one?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: July 15, 2010, 06:02:32 pm »

Does armour work like it does in real life? For example, is chainmail effective against edged attacks but not piercing? If not, what type of attack is generally best against armour?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: July 15, 2010, 06:29:13 pm »

Right now, the best weapon against armour is blunt attacks, such as maces and hammers.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: July 15, 2010, 06:29:31 pm »

Does armour work like it does in real life? For example, is chainmail effective against edged attacks but not piercing? If not, what type of attack is generally best against armour?
Well you can wear plate over your chain like real life. Hammers are effective against lots of kinds of armored enemies. I haven't tried swords.

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: July 15, 2010, 06:31:18 pm »

What is the best way to get a map that has only one cavern layer, and more importantly, with the cavern layer up in the higher, middle z levels (so I can build underneath between that and magma)?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: July 15, 2010, 06:51:24 pm »

What is the best way to get a map that has only one cavern layer, and more importantly, with the cavern layer up in the higher, middle z levels (so I can build underneath between that and magma)?

There's a world gen parameter that lets you dictate exactly how many cavern layers you want, and also how many minimum layers between that layer and everything else.

Can't remember their names, it's late and my brain has already gone to bed, I'm just a mindless corpse slapping the keyboard until words come out.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: July 15, 2010, 08:39:22 pm »

I'm sure if you poke around in Perfectworld you can find the paramaters pretty easy.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2354

Read the quick start guide at least.

psilocybes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: July 15, 2010, 11:32:01 pm »

A dwarf started acting and crafted up some earrings. Where did they go? (if i have to search the piles ill never find it) and what can I do with them?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: July 16, 2010, 12:38:30 am »

You can sell them to traders. I think there's some other uses but I forget.
There's a key, L I think, that brings up a list of all your artifacts; from there you can see where the earring is. I think.
Also, if your dwarf wasn't "possessed", but instead was "secretive" or "fey" or whatnot, he now is legendary in whatever skill he used to make the earring. If it was, for example, stonecrafting, you can now set him to work cranking out stone crafts for the traders.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 1178