Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119971 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1965 on: July 14, 2010, 06:58:08 pm »

No, the map was already like that. My original 7 haven't even bugged, since I haven't unpaused the game.

The 95 dwarves, dead guy, and demon were already here. The dwarves all look like the merchants.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: July 14, 2010, 07:59:43 pm »

My question: does anyone have the list of things to do if the game crashes during the years of world generation? Messing with the init options some and changing the date generation ends hasn't helped (both dates, both forward and back).
Check the errorlog.txt in your data folder.
My only log is the gamelog.txt and it tells me what seeds I have tried using, and that is all. I don't have any feedback other than the fact it will randomly crash while going through the years, and now, it always crashes when it checks for megabeasts. I need to check again to see if reaching the last year will also crash it. There are no error messages, although it usually rejects 2-9 worlds early on.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1967 on: July 14, 2010, 08:43:08 pm »

Why are mysoldiers not training? I have weapons, armor, and a barracks. I made a squad of recruits and told them to equip said armor and weapons, which they did. Now they either do civ tasks when inactive or nothing when active. Eh??
In the barracks there are the ZTIQ flags. Set T-for-train flag for the squad in the barracks room.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: July 14, 2010, 09:10:19 pm »

Now that I've tamed me some magma, it's time to get some free green glass. So... what pile does sand go in, so it can go next to the magma glass furnaces? Also, do I need to make secondary furnaces to queue up the sand collecting, and do dwarves have to have "furnace operator" or something to gather sand? I want some good glassmakers but I don't want my sand-gatherers to get distracted. :P

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: July 14, 2010, 09:20:04 pm »

Sand bags can go in furniture stockpiles. Having additional dwarves gathering sand can be good, but not extremely necessary as long as you build up a large enough surplus before starting the make glass/collect sand loop.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: July 15, 2010, 12:14:30 am »

You have to designate a sand-collection zone with the i key.

What do I do with dwarven invalids who have spinal cord damage? They take up space and food but give nothing back.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: July 15, 2010, 01:04:18 am »

You have to designate a sand-collection zone with the i key.

What do I do with dwarven invalids who have spinal cord damage? They take up space and food but give nothing back.

Unless they're preventing a tantrum spiral, I prescribe Drownex at least once a week.

So... no one's alive but titans, megabeasts, and some other nasties in one of my favorite forts. Well, I am. Any way to fix that, like if I killed the hydra and titan giving their names to the age the area's in, would settlers from another continent come? Or would I just be all alone, with no migrants?

And in another awesome place, there's only gobbos. So... would I be able to trade with them, because my civ's dead (thus can't be at war)?

How do you check to see if your civ is at war, anyway?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: July 15, 2010, 01:07:01 am »

About spinal cord damge: Set up a 1x1 hospital zone inside a 1x1 room (accessed by a door) with a bed in it. When someone carries them to that bed, lock the door and let them die. Build a giant dining room littered with statues to keep their friends happy.

I don't know about the dead fort, though.

I have a Pet Rehabilitation Center - a long passage with doors at both ends, and a lever at the very end. I tell some cat lover to pull the lever; when they do so, their cat follows them. I lock both doors, and they pull the lever again and again, impaling the cat to death. This usually takes care of the problem, but this time, the cats don't seem to be following their owners. It worked once, but it doesn't work any more; the cats just do their own thing. How can I fix this?

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: July 15, 2010, 01:37:03 am »

Good call on the starvation room. I'll set that up :D

New question, what do I do about this seemingly-endless siege? The goblins won't attack me, but they're on flying mounts. The door's not shut, it's a straight shot down the entryway to my main stairs. I can't get my dwarfs to pick up bolts or quivers to go with the crossbows I made.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: July 15, 2010, 06:07:36 am »

3 questions this time;

1. Where are mugs on the "bring goods for trade" menu? I can't seem to find them anywhere..

2. What would be a sufficient drop to kill a naked, unarmed goblin?

3. Do deployed upright spike traps deal damage if someone is dropped onto them from above?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: July 15, 2010, 06:30:14 am »

3 questions this time;

1. Where are mugs on the "bring goods for trade" menu? I can't seem to find them anywhere..

3. Do deployed upright spike traps deal damage if someone is dropped onto them from above?
Crafts, almost any amount of any skill, and no.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: July 15, 2010, 06:36:39 am »

3 questions this time;

The discussion page on the wiki disagrees with number 3, someone has had combat reports of a creature falling onto a spike trap.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: July 15, 2010, 06:55:00 am »

3 questions this time;

Skill? I meant drop as in z-levels, sorry for being vague.

EDIT: Nevermind, one of my idiot miners decided to perform some science and fall down a shaft. He fell about 5 levels and that was enough to kill him. Though with the skill decay bug he was an obese, frail cripple so that probably skewed results.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:45:08 am by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: July 15, 2010, 09:44:52 am »

I've tried putting the [SPEED:0] tag in the creature_standard.txt raws to make my dwarves faster but nothing happens. Is there a specific spot where you have to put it to get fast dwarves?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: July 15, 2010, 10:27:43 am »

My question: does anyone have the list of things to do if the game crashes during the years of world generation? Messing with the init options some and changing the date generation ends hasn't helped (both dates, both forward and back).
Check the errorlog.txt in your data folder.
My only log is the gamelog.txt and it tells me what seeds I have tried using, and that is all. I don't have any feedback other than the fact it will randomly crash while going through the years, and now, it always crashes when it checks for megabeasts. I need to check again to see if reaching the last year will also crash it. There are no error messages, although it usually rejects 2-9 worlds early on.
My bad; It's in the first folder. Not data, raw, or SDL. The folder that contains those folders.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 1178