Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122653 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #195 on: April 05, 2010, 03:52:35 pm »

I think the animal has to be a full corpse, skeletons aren't any good. Someone else may have more insight though, I've only butchered large live animals, so far.
The wiki says you can butcher skeletons after they are put on a refuse stockpile. This gives bones. I just can't figure out how t do it.
I think you'll be safe against some things, but it wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if some enemies existed that would path through water without blinking, so it's probably not ideal. Also, you're right that if they're knocked in they might come inward rather than go outward, which is another good reason to fix it.
With my POP-CAP of 40 I'll probably be fine.

"Fixing" this would require digging a new moat, adding walls, or extremely creative (and dangerous) engineering; because this part of my moat is right by my river. And I didn't think to install floodgates.

Nick

AdmiralAckbar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 05, 2010, 04:28:21 pm »

Does using a legendary bucket when I make a well mean my dwarfs can't use it? Would this be the reason they continue to party next to my hospital while the patients die of thirst?

Is there a way to keep my military from using their training weapons instead of the steel stuff I assigned to them or is this just a bug? I have a arsenal dwarf and they are carrying the equipment but won't switch and I don't believe any of them are attached.

Help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:33:58 pm by AdmiralAckbar »

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 05, 2010, 05:00:16 pm »

Nick, the only way I can think of would be to magma the connection between the river and moat, and agreed that it's dangerous engineering (100z levels of magma pumping, screw that). No ideas from me, sorry :-\

Admiral, if they're literally partying next to the hospital, that's the problem. They don't do any work, no matter how important, if they're in a party. Training weapons... Try forbidding/dumping them to get them out of their hands, and they should take the ones you told them to.

firecrystal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 05, 2010, 05:06:56 pm »

None of my military dwarves will put on their uniforms, even when said uniforms exist in plain sight of the barracks, and no arsenal dwarf is needed. Also, their idea of training is to organize demonstrations which everyone simply waits for, never actually doing anything.
Firecrystal cancels Engrave Signature: Interrupted by cliche.
I'm fond of the time the whole inside of the world melted and fell into the center of the world.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 05, 2010, 05:11:17 pm »

Does anyone know if artifacts are still restricted to champions? Trying to get a dwarf who made a warhammer during a fey mood to pick up her work and wield it...but she won't.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 05, 2010, 05:30:42 pm »

huh someone edited the wiki incorrectly then, cause there's alot of positions that can be assigned, but dungeon master, count, king, baron, are all still immigrated and permanent. (unless magma is applied.)
Not sure about king, but rest of nobles are appointed from your local population now.
When fort grows big enough for barony, liaison/diplomat comes and declares that you can select someone to be a baron, if you want.
You cant assign it through [n], only with special diplomat dialog.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2010, 05:32:21 pm »

I think that I have achieved a cat that could take on a siege. My fortress is bloody stuffed with vermin remains. Absolutly stuffed. I'm not sure if its a new thing that they can be in pieces, but my refuse pile is nearly full. And this is one cat. If toady didn't sort out the catsplosion my framerate will be measured on the same scale as continental drift.

And I've gotten two waves of migrants in a single year, no traders or siegers, thieves, or infestations of animals. The cat took care of that.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 05, 2010, 05:36:56 pm »

anyone know how to make a creature spontaniously explode, melt, freeze, or otherwise die (it's been zombiefied so choking and bloodloss won't work) cause I have mor then half my fort currently wrestling with a zombie ground hog, and no one will grab a weapon to kill it.
Nom nom nom

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 05, 2010, 05:44:28 pm »

Given that I almost lost my current fort to starvation, I was wondering how you change the raws to allow animals like horses and cows to have multiple births.

I've noticed they've got the tag [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]. Can you just remove it or do you need to put in a different tag?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 05, 2010, 05:46:17 pm »

you can remove it and they will start having 2/3 children each time, or you can give them [liTTER_SIZE:x:y]  x=min y=max
Nom nom nom

Wyvern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 05, 2010, 05:50:43 pm »

Does anyone know if artifacts are still restricted to champions? Trying to get a dwarf who made a warhammer during a fey mood to pick up her work and wield it...but she won't.
Do you have an Arsenal Dwarf appointed?  If that's not the problem, try putting that dwarf in a squad and activating her with a Move command, then cancel it.  I've had that work for convincing a hunter to pick up bolts...it forces Pick Up Equipment jobs sometimes.

My question: is there a combination of settings which will convince dwarves assigned to military squads to do individual drills consistently?  After two years of frustration in my latest fortress, I finally managed to get them to activate (by designating 3+ overlapping barracks) only to find that the group drills they organize never start, and I'm going to have to give up on the game until it's patched unless I can find a way to get fighting skills raised.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 05, 2010, 05:57:39 pm »

Hmm I nowticed that my pump dwarves have started to strip off their clothes, anyone else seen this happen? None of the other dwarves are doing it.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 05, 2010, 06:00:29 pm »

you can remove it and they will start having 2/3 children each time, or you can give them [liTTER_SIZE:x:y]  x=min y=max

Thank you. Set them up all to have multiple litters and now to hope that it won't crash.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #208 on: April 05, 2010, 06:50:05 pm »

Asked this earlier. It got lost.
Does anybody know if I equip my dwarves with quivers, crossbows, and enough bolts and then turn off ALL other jobs and assign them to a barracks with training enabled, but not set them TOO training. will it be enough to make them train their crossbow skills when personally training?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2010, 07:54:17 pm »

Do you have an Arsenal Dwarf appointed?  If that's not the problem, try putting that dwarf in a squad and activating her with a Move command, then cancel it.  I've had that work for convincing a hunter to pick up bolts...it forces Pick Up Equipment jobs sometimes.

My question: is there a combination of settings which will convince dwarves assigned to military squads to do individual drills consistently?  After two years of frustration in my latest fortress, I finally managed to get them to activate (by designating 3+ overlapping barracks) only to find that the group drills they organize never start, and I'm going to have to give up on the game until it's patched unless I can find a way to get fighting skills raised.

Set them as inactive and they'll train individually in their spare time. It's a pain in the ass to get to work, but I managed to do it and I'm not going to tinker with it at all until they've skilled up significantly.

I think the animal has to be a full corpse, skeletons aren't any good. Someone else may have more insight though, I've only butchered large live animals, so far.
The wiki says you can butcher skeletons after they are put on a refuse stockpile. This gives bones. I just can't figure out how t do it.
I think you'll be safe against some things, but it wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if some enemies existed that would path through water without blinking, so it's probably not ideal. Also, you're right that if they're knocked in they might come inward rather than go outward, which is another good reason to fix it.
With my POP-CAP of 40 I'll probably be fine.

"Fixing" this would require digging a new moat, adding walls, or extremely creative (and dangerous) engineering; because this part of my moat is right by my river. And I didn't think to install floodgates.

Nick

I've managed to butcher skeletons with the "Butcher a dead animal" command after my butcher's laziness caused a few carcasses to rot.

For the river, I'd suggest using screw pumps to move the water of the ditch/prevent more water from flowing in. On the point where the ditch meets the river, build a pump on each input tile and set them to pump back in towards the river (You may need a short wall to prevent the water from flowing back in). After that, add in one more pump near the input to drain the ditch (Here you'll likely need a longer wall to prevent the water from flowing back into the ditch. Although, unlike the input pumps, this one won't be pumping constantly.). The pumps on the input *must* be powered by a windmill, but you can get away with manual power for the ditch.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 1178