Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119702 times)

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1845 on: July 12, 2010, 06:51:34 am »

Does magma above ground (lava) eventually solidify?
Fluids only deplete by evaporation, which happens when 1/7 units of the fluid sit on the ground for a given period of time.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: July 12, 2010, 08:25:01 am »

Does magma above ground (lava) eventually solidify?
If it comes in contact with water, however, it will form obsidian.
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

DangerHelvetica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: July 12, 2010, 01:52:10 pm »

Has anyone had problems with dwarves not pulling levers lately?

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: July 12, 2010, 01:53:51 pm »

Has anyone had problems with dwarves not pulling levers lately?

I haven't had any issues in 31.10.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: July 12, 2010, 01:56:10 pm »

Is there a way to make the game not pause on discovering damp/warm stone? The notification is enough, and the cancellation of the job is good, but the pausing is infuriating when I'm trying to collapse the whole river a floor.
As far as I know, no. You can, however, train up some legendary miners and work there for a few minutes, redigging and unpausing every time a piece is dug out. This should make it go faster.

I embarked on a sloped map with a partial aquifer, planning on that being my water source. I now cannot find the dang thing. So, three questions:

1. Easier way to find it than random digging on all z levels?

2. Any way to find what layers the aquifer was supposed to be on? It said it was on a pair of sand/loam types, but I seem to have about six so far.

3. Will I find the aquifer only in those sandloam types, or just on a specific z-level where they show up?
1. You can use Reveal, a tool for DF, but that might ruin some of the fun of the game. Or you could use Reveal, find the aquifer, and then go back to the save before...
2. Sand/loam generally occurs near the ground; if you're on a sloped map, then there should be several more layers of sand or loam as you dig nearer the "bottom" of the slope.
3. I'm not sure what you mean... aren't those both the same?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: July 12, 2010, 03:13:04 pm »

If I build a down staircase under a brook, and the wet symbol shows up under the stairs, does this mean the game still thinks you'll break through to the brook, or there's an aquifer?
The tiles under a brook are always 7/7 full of water. Brooks are streams, except you can walk on them. That's the only difference.
And if there is an aquifer, if I build an up staircase on the level in question, will it not flood, or do I have to wait till I can harness my magma before I can bypass it and its evil wetness?
You can't build a staircase in an aquifer without engineering because aquifers are always 7/7 deep.

You can dig stairways in aquifers fine, but as soon as it's dug it'll become impassable due to water. And if you dig up/down stairs the aquifer will start leaking into anything you've dug under it.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: July 12, 2010, 03:15:45 pm »

Thanks for the help; new question, I want to eventually make a ton of glass for whatever. Is there a less kludgey way to collect sand than to build a regular sand furnace to queue up sand-gathering for my eventual magma furnaces to use?
3. I'm not sure what you mean... aren't those both the same?
If the game said I should only find an aquifer in sandx and loamx, will the aquifer just end if the sand is adjacent to rocks because the layer types seem to be calculated individually for the z-levels of each square, or am I looking at it wrong? :P

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: July 12, 2010, 05:01:27 pm »

If I build a down staircase under a brook, and the wet symbol shows up under the stairs, does this mean the game still thinks you'll break through to the brook, or there's an aquifer?
The tiles under a brook are always 7/7 full of water. Brooks are streams, except you can walk on them. That's the only difference.
And if there is an aquifer, if I build an up staircase on the level in question, will it not flood, or do I have to wait till I can harness my magma before I can bypass it and its evil wetness?
You can't build a staircase in an aquifer without engineering because aquifers are always 7/7 deep.

You can dig stairways in aquifers fine, but as soon as it's dug it'll become impassable due to water. And if you dig up/down stairs the aquifer will start leaking into anything you've dug under it.

I meant that I dug under the brook, without flooding the passageway. And then I dug a down stair on the level under the brook, and when I press d -> d, it shows the square 2 hexes under the brook is damp.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: July 12, 2010, 06:49:21 pm »

That's your aquifer.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: July 12, 2010, 07:00:24 pm »

Fun. I'll just flood it with lava from the volcano.

So, does all brewing give back the seeds or is it just Plump Helmets?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: July 12, 2010, 07:09:52 pm »

All Brewing returns seeds.  As does plant processing.

It isn't the case with what you're doing I think, but sometimes the game also shows the flashing blue damp wall squares if there is a little extra water not evaporated yet on your side of a perfectly fine wall.  Just an fyi for the future.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: July 12, 2010, 07:19:15 pm »

Yeah, that gets really annoying on maps with multiple biomes which some have aquifers and some don't...

MelianAlcarime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: July 12, 2010, 10:03:23 pm »

I've got a question (and finally got off my lazy butt and made an account so I can ask it). I did a search, and found a similar problem, but not quite what I was looking for.

For some reason, my dwarves will haul all items designated for dumping—except for anything sitting in my dining room. I haven't set it as the dining room yet, since all the stones on the floor means I can't build doors, tables, or chairs. I know that the room is accessible. My dwarves eat on the one table I had room to place, and they go through there to get to the food stockpile. I know my dump is accessible, since they will dump the rocks anywhere else. I have 13 idlers sitting around with hauling enabled. Un-designating and re-designating doesn't seem to work either.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on/how I can fix it? Thankees much. *I'm sure this will end up being a facepalm moment*

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: July 12, 2010, 10:47:59 pm »

I've got a question (and finally got off my lazy butt and made an account so I can ask it). I did a search, and found a similar problem, but not quite what I was looking for.

For some reason, my dwarves will haul all items designated for dumping—except for anything sitting in my dining room. I haven't set it as the dining room yet, since all the stones on the floor means I can't build doors, tables, or chairs. I know that the room is accessible. My dwarves eat on the one table I had room to place, and they go through there to get to the food stockpile. I know my dump is accessible, since they will dump the rocks anywhere else. I have 13 idlers sitting around with hauling enabled. Un-designating and re-designating doesn't seem to work either.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on/how I can fix it? Thankees much. *I'm sure this will end up being a facepalm moment*

I would like to second this, because I'm veeeery close to ragequitting.

Anyway, on to my real question. Can wagons pass over stairs? I know they don't exist in the current form, but I want to plan ahead in case Toady fixes them in the semi-near future. And by over, I mean like just roll over, not use.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:49:55 pm by Double A »

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: July 12, 2010, 11:27:34 pm »

I am assuming your dining room is NOT outside? Else you might need to turn collect refuse from Outside on. Obviously  you did D->B->D and assigned all the rocks to Dump. Is it dumping other rocks to your garbage zone? Just not the ones within your dining room?
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 1178