Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119719 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1830 on: July 11, 2010, 04:26:51 pm »

And since bucklers are handless (irl) then they should be able to use them, right?

Also, can wagons cross brooks like dwarves, animals, etc?
Last I heard wagons did not exist in DF2010 because Toady was having trouble getting multi-tile creatures to work right.

In previous versions they could cross brooks. I actually used brooks as roads a few times. Trees can grow on land, and thus screw up the path to a Depot, but they can't grow in a Brook.

Hangak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: July 11, 2010, 04:34:32 pm »

Can you make ramps that face upsidedown? I'm trying to use them as stairs but they always slope from top to bottom.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: July 11, 2010, 04:40:55 pm »

You can build/dig them on the level below the level your dwarf is currently on.  So it is an up ramp on that level, which amounts to a down ramp on the current level.

I'm disappointed your name isn't Hagnk.  You'd think there would be more DF/KOL overlap.

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: July 11, 2010, 04:49:27 pm »

My militia commander has become attached to her Bismuth Bronze Mace.  What does this entail?

So far, I'm assuming that she'll get a negative thought if I were to forbid it or melt it, or some similar thing.

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: July 11, 2010, 04:54:39 pm »

I have a Athlon Xp 2.0ghz w/ Radeon 9600 PRO

What should I set in the init to get a better performace?

I want to improve my fps, I have already disabled weather/temperature but stills...

Also, in the game FPS is on an shows "FPS: 27 <13>" my fps is 27 or 13?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: July 11, 2010, 05:02:15 pm »

Use ramps, no rivers or brooks, butcher cats.

If I build a down staircase under a brook, and the wet symbol shows up under the stairs, does this mean the game still thinks you'll break through to the brook, or there's an aquifer?

And if there is an aquifer, if I build an up staircase on the level in question, will it not flood, or do I have to wait till I can harness my magma before I can bypass it and its evil wetness?

Also, is it worth mining out a wall with metal ore, and replacing it with a cheap stone wall, even if I'm not short on ore?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:05:55 pm by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: July 11, 2010, 06:05:50 pm »

That depends on how much your dwarves' time is worth. If your masons and miners all have better things to do, then no. If they're just sitting around, then it's trading a low value stone for high value ore. Go for it.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: July 11, 2010, 06:10:54 pm »

My miners are always doing stuff, but yeah, masons aren't.

It applies without saying for gems, I assume.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: July 11, 2010, 08:06:41 pm »

So... out of the blue, my carpenter just made a masterwork crutch.

Is there any point at all to this thing? It seems like a huge waste of potential trade gold. Like, does the crutch work better than a normal one, or should I just sell it to the next caravan?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1839 on: July 11, 2010, 08:58:13 pm »

What should I set in the init to get a better performace?
Also, in the game FPS is on an shows "FPS: 27 <13>" my fps is 27 or 13?
Have a 2x2 embark area. Don't dig long corridors and don't open up the caves -- more area means slower pathing calculations. Don't have lots of pets.
you have 27 time-ticks per second and 13 screen draws per second.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: July 11, 2010, 10:02:19 pm »

So how long does it take for animals to mature? I want a breeding stock of horses, and my only male is a fowl.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1841 on: July 11, 2010, 11:09:22 pm »

So how long does it take for animals to mature? I want a breeding stock of horses, and my only male is a fowl.
Your horse male is a bird?

Most domestic animals have [CHILD:1], so 1 year from birth they're adults but they might still grow in size after that.
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:5000] tells weight at certain target age. (2 years, 0 days : 5000 grams)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: July 11, 2010, 11:55:39 pm »

Is there a way to make the game not pause on discovering damp/warm stone? The notification is enough, and the cancellation of the job is good, but the pausing is infuriating when I'm trying to collapse the whole river a floor.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: July 12, 2010, 01:48:49 am »

I embarked on a sloped map with a partial aquifer, planning on that being my water source. I now cannot find the dang thing. So, three questions:

1. Easier way to find it than random digging on all z levels?

2. Any way to find what layers the aquifer was supposed to be on? It said it was on a pair of sand/loam types, but I seem to have about six so far.

3. Will I find the aquifer only in those sandloam types, or just on a specific z-level where they show up?

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: July 12, 2010, 06:38:14 am »

Does magma above ground (lava) eventually solidify?
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 1178