Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119642 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1800 on: July 11, 2010, 09:36:02 am »

My mind is blown.

I knew burrows were for something.

edit: Ok, how do you "upload" your fortress as a Google map? I've seen several fortresses that I can view on something similar to Google Maps. I'm very curious about it, and want to email a fortress to my friend.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 09:38:34 am by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: July 11, 2010, 09:41:59 am »

Ah, good, glad you like the idea. I don't think I would have the patience to put it into action myself. One thing to be aware of with burrows is that your extra dwarves should have no default burrow assignments (or should be assigned to all burrows), and be set to only haul. They will move from burrow to burrow, redistributing resources and storing things, while your specialized dwarves do more important things like farming and smithing.

Does anyone know if dwarves still do that goofy thing where they want to put the barrel in a stockpile when they are done drinking, regardless of hauling labors and burrow orders? I had a real problem with those dwarves demanding that they be allowed to put their barrels away, but of course unable to reach the stockpile outside of their burrows. They would get stuck in a loop, spamming cancellation orders and going on a hunger strike unless you forced them to drop the barrels or removed the burrow restrictions. Had to do an annoying dance of forbid-dump-unforbid to stop them.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: July 11, 2010, 09:49:16 am »

You could always sticks a furniture stockpile limited to barrels next to your local food stockpile.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: July 11, 2010, 09:53:23 am »

In addition to that, you could set up your regular barrel/furniture stockpile to 'take from' the local barrel dropoffs.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: July 11, 2010, 09:59:45 am »

On the unit list and job list, there's something that says "r: Remv Cre". What does that mean?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: July 11, 2010, 10:38:34 am »

That removes the job tasking for the currently selected dwarf.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

moosecow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: July 11, 2010, 11:06:54 am »

So I have a billion buckets laying around with stagnant water or whatever littering my fort. Am I doomed to dump/atomsmash these and just keep on churning out new buckets?

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: July 11, 2010, 11:11:30 am »

You could always sell them.  8)

And I don't think Well-Building checks whether there is anything in the bucket or not.  Or at least the one time I paid attention to it, it didn't check...

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #1808 on: July 11, 2010, 12:17:55 pm »

I did embark on a freezing site once, and brought along milk as my main embark food, planning to turn it into cheese when I arrived.  The milk all froze almost immediately, and my dwarves were unwilling to turn it into ice cream.  I had to butcher all my starting animals to keep from starving till I got the farms up and running.
would they not carry it inside either, cause normally once inside stuff like that un-freezes.
It was difficult to get them to do so.  They refused to carry the frozen milk inside to put it on a food stockpile, since apparently frozen milk doesn't count as food.  They wouldn't put the barrels on a furniture stockpile, because they weren't empty.  I had to make an indoor refuse pile and designate the barrels for dumping, wait for the milk to thaw, then reclaim them before the dwarves would move them to a food stockpile.

Mine cooked frozen milk, in 31.10.

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: July 11, 2010, 12:20:59 pm »

My mind is blown.

I knew burrows were for something.

edit: Ok, how do you "upload" your fortress as a Google map? I've seen several fortresses that I can view on something similar to Google Maps. I'm very curious about it, and want to email a fortress to my friend.

I believe you are referring to DFMA.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: July 11, 2010, 12:24:05 pm »

Oh, camels. Is there any difference between 1-H and 2-H?

edit: Thinks Mini.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: July 11, 2010, 12:26:12 pm »

2 humped camels have 2 humps while 1 humped camels only have one. This means that 1 humped camels are slightly more likely to have a vital bodypart hit by an attack instead of a hump.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: July 11, 2010, 12:41:34 pm »

That's it? Not 1-2 more meat?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: July 11, 2010, 12:44:20 pm »

Then why even make them a separate species?
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 1178