Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119031 times)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1785 on: July 10, 2010, 01:11:23 am »

You can't build 3 doors in a row, part of their definition is having a wall on the side for support.  I do the D-D thing myself sometimes, but I usually just keep my fortress rooms having 1 or 2 wide doors, and if the hallways are 3 wide, so be it.  4 wide hallways look more symmetrical with double doors if I want one ending that way.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: July 10, 2010, 01:51:56 am »

What if you did

W|D|D|W|W
W|D|D|W|W
W|D|D|D|W

Also, this

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

is still a very big problem, I can't unpause my game for fear of not having enough money to pay the merchants for their stuff.  :(
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: July 10, 2010, 02:05:13 am »

Try saving, quitting, making a backup (copy the df>data>save>region1orwhateverthehellyourenamedit file, put it somewhere, give it a different name), restarting the game, and unpausing.

Sometimes pathing weirdness is fixed by restarting the game because it clears a cache or something.

And if you have a backup and can't pay for stuff, now you'll know for certain and can revert to saved.

Which did not get my damn stairs dug, but I have more urgent matters to attend to now, like DEFENSE!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 02:07:03 am by UmbrageOfSnow »

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: July 10, 2010, 05:12:26 pm »

Is it possible to make traders stop coming? I'm tired of elves and humans cluttering up my map with their unpronounceable names and slow pack animals. Maybe I can build a wall all the way around the map edge or something?

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: July 10, 2010, 05:31:05 pm »

Currently, at least, if your trade depot is inaccessible and/or doesn't exist, you'll get a message that the caravan saw your site, couldn't get there, and left unhappy.  No need to wall off the whole map, just wall off the trade depot.

In regards to removing walls next to doors, I think at one point that worked, but was considered a bug, and I have no idea if it has been fixed or not.  Worth a try if you really want the triple door.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 05:33:28 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: July 10, 2010, 05:31:38 pm »

Wall off the edge of the map (the wall has to be six or so tiles away from the edge). OR you can do it the dwarfy way and slaughter every caravan for a few years. Eventually, they'll stop sending caravans and start sending sieges.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: July 10, 2010, 06:04:08 pm »

Is it possible to make traders stop coming? I'm tired of elves and humans cluttering up my map with their unpronounceable names and slow pack animals. Maybe I can build a wall all the way around the map edge or something?

You could flood your map with lava and elephants
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: July 10, 2010, 06:12:29 pm »

And speaking of lava... there's a volcano on my map, and it's pretty huge. 43 levels above the brook, and too many for me to care below it. Since I've seen Captain Duck's videos (and read Boatmurdered) I know what do to with molten rock, but CD's lava pipe's walls weren't perfectly straight from the bottom to the top. Or a volcano.

How do I harness its awesome power without killing a miner off, or burning my whole fortress to the ground? (since I'd be tapping into it somewhere not at the top, wouldn't it flood my base?)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: July 10, 2010, 06:38:20 pm »

And speaking of lava... there's a volcano on my map, and it's pretty huge. 43 levels above the brook, and too many for me to care below it. Since I've seen Captain Duck's videos (and read Boatmurdered) I know what do to with molten rock, but CD's lava pipe's walls weren't perfectly straight from the bottom to the top. Or a volcano.

How do I harness its awesome power without killing a miner off, or burning my whole fortress to the ground? (since I'd be tapping into it somewhere not at the top, wouldn't it flood my base?)

Perfectly straight, huh? Go up to the top, and then build down to the surface. Then I guess you could channel it into a pool of your own making.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: July 10, 2010, 07:10:44 pm »

If it's got a top level you could simply build a tower at that level, and build all your forges up there.

You'd have to build 'pipes' for the magma, a 1-wide halls would work; or maybe a magma cistern.

If you want to tap into it from a lower level you could sacrifice a miner. IIRC Magma isn't pressurized, so if you tap into it at the bottom level it fills the pipe but doesn't overflow.

If I was you I'd do the Magma Cistern thing. In fact I'm inspired to start a fort at a volcano just to try it myself.

Nick

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: July 10, 2010, 07:14:52 pm »

1. Dig Tunnel from warm wall to a cistern somewhere.
2. Dig an escape tunnel with doors in it.
3. Carve Fortifications.
4. Run like hell.

Or just tunnel into it regular, either way, you don't necessarily sacrifice your miner.  I'm about 2 for 3 in successful escapes.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: July 11, 2010, 05:30:30 am »

Oh, fortifications could work. From what I noticed, they let water through slower than if it were just an open area, so I guess it would work the same for magma, unless it has something to do with pressure...

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: July 11, 2010, 06:31:51 am »

If a fort was being simultaneously attacked from the caverns and by siege, if one or both broke through, would they fight it out and you potentially be able to kill the survivors and/or laugh hysterically?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: July 11, 2010, 09:06:18 am »

I'm very bad at sticking with one fort.

In my one near a volcano, I have a problem. I can't decide where to plop my base down. One side of the mountain can get quick to the magma and stone, but very few trees or water. The entire left side is plentiful with trees and water and sand, and is a hippie elf's paradise. The bottom right is kinda like the bottom left, but has a brook so is better long term. The top itself is basically magma, enough rocks, and 3 trees. I don't like to spread out very much, so which sounds like the best area? The top has the most metal and gems, but I kinda need to farm. However, the mid-right would have fast and easy green glass production which I can use for all kinds of things. I'm also hilariously bad with z-level management.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: July 11, 2010, 09:33:42 am »

Magma is a mobile resource, and shouldn't weigh in your considerations (obviously). The only reason to build in or near the volcano is for coolness reasons... so, it's a great reason. Anyway... this is what we have burrows for. Try branching out; create a more interesting fort with a mining colony and rock quarry to the north, a walled and fortified farm complex with glass smelting and magma floes to the west, and a temple to armok in the heart of the volcano. If you can discipline yourself to specialize your dwarves and set up the burrows right, it could be truly epic.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 1178