Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119033 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1770 on: July 09, 2010, 10:59:36 am »

In theory, yes.

In practice it's difficult since animals need to be brought to the kennels to be tamed, fish can't live in water less than 4 deep, and dwarves will cancel jobs in water over 4 deep.  You need a very carefully controlled half-flooded kennel to successfully tame aquatic creatures, but it has been done.  There's a thread about it around here somewhere.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: July 09, 2010, 11:01:29 am »

I believe that it is (in theory) possible (or at least was in 40d).

However, making war carp and war whales is a different matter.

Also, in practice it is impossible (you have to have part of your fort fluctuating between depth 3 and depth 4 water, so both the fish and the dwarf will not aphyxiate, but this will cause untold job cancellations.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: July 09, 2010, 11:07:59 am »

Does the king appear, if i strike adamantine? (In the newest version 0.31.08) And if he appears, will i still get dwarven caravan or not?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1773 on: July 09, 2010, 11:10:48 am »

The arrival of the king is no longer triggered by discovering adamantine in 31.08.  Which is fortunate, because it's nearly impossible to strike the magma sea without hitting adamantine now.  You have to earn your king the hard way.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: July 09, 2010, 11:15:02 am »

The arrival of the king is no longer triggered by discovering adamantine in 31.08.  Which is fortunate, because it's nearly impossible to strike the magma sea without hitting adamantine now.  You have to earn your king the hard way.

Fuh. Some good new. I really need dwarven caravan to come (cause i make no boose, too lazy to control all those barrels and i have sooo much plants that it's all screwed up. Better not touch it :P).
And rly, i have no intention of getting a king.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: July 09, 2010, 03:26:20 pm »

I dug a channel at the lower levels of a map, and if I "k" over the tile it says "magma flow", yet if I go one level below it only says "gabbro upward slope". Is there actual magma there, for the purpose of pumping it?
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: July 09, 2010, 03:32:26 pm »

For some reason not a single dwarf is willing to pick up a battle axe to chop down a tree. Its not forbidden as I've had them move it from stockpile to stockpile, trees are designated properly, and dwarves have the right labours assigned :/

Any ideas?

@Cyntrox it should have a list for example

Gabbro Slope
Magma 7/7

It -should- have magma there.

Edit: Migration fixed the whole Not cutting wood. :/ Rather odd though.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:41:34 pm by Xzalander »
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: July 09, 2010, 03:39:22 pm »

@Cyntrox it should have a list for example

Gabbro Slope
Magma 7/7

It -should- have magma there.
That's what I figure, too. Only it doesn't say that.

I might have dug through semi-molten rock...
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: July 09, 2010, 03:42:52 pm »

After updating and testing it several times, I can confirm that my pathing bug still exists.

What causes it is digging a long square trench around my fortress in a 5x5 embark. The trench is about 30 tiles from the map edge.
Once the digging is completed, the miners will pick a random place to stand as if they had no path to anything.

They will happily run into the fortress to switch from a pick to a battle axe if I switch them to woodcutting, then return to their idle spot and continue to act as if they are stuck.

They also give job cancellations such as "Cancelled bring food: No path." when nobody is in bed or jail, and they're the only ones starving.

The last time this happened, one of them had fishing enabled. He ran to the river and started pulling out TONS of fish and leaving them on the shore, and nobody would retrieve them.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: July 09, 2010, 04:17:41 pm »

I have 2-3 dwarves inactive, even though I have untold hauling to the trade depot que'd up, and they have all hauling enabled. And the stockyard is only about a dozen squares away. What's going wrong, and how can I "motivate" them to move the freaking mugs?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: July 09, 2010, 04:38:07 pm »

Also, when this bug occurs, the spot where they choose to idle has no relevance to the location of the trench. They will idle on either side of it, inside the trench itself, or even inside the fortress. Dwarves inside the fortress will also stop hauling and eventually everyone just stands there starving, even if they're standing on a barrel of food.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: July 10, 2010, 12:22:51 am »

So I built some up/down constructed stairs on the ground floor of a tower.  Now I want to dig out a basement for said tower and designated some digging of up/down stairs beneath the constructed up/down stairs.  I've got miners, they have picks, they dig other things, but no one wants to dig out these stairs.  Any ideas?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: July 10, 2010, 12:27:29 am »

Do they have access to the tower? Like, is its base only walls, or if there is a door, is it shut? And are you sure your miners aren't working on something else? Mine usually dig out the giant rooms I make first before moving on to anything else, so I'll have to cancel digging of the edges to get them to do something more important.

edit: another question. Can you build 3 doors in a row? My current solution is door|wall|door, but that looks ugly, as well as makes one tile inaccessible to my dwarves and animals.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:35:58 am by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: July 10, 2010, 12:35:45 am »

2 of 4 miners are idle, not on break, and yes, they can access the tower.  I have farms inside on the ground floor, and the farmers are planting their seeds and whatnot.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: July 10, 2010, 12:36:35 am »

Maybe you're having the same pathfinding bug as me? That means 2 questions of the same kind. How fun.

edit: another question. Can you build 3 doors in a row? My current solution is door|wall|door, but that looks ugly, as well as makes one tile inaccessible to my dwarves and animals.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 1178