Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1091718 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17640 on: February 17, 2012, 03:19:15 am »

"Urist was forced to drink slime recently"

Mmy embark is a sinister biome with bitter sludge rain (that causes blisters on contact)
But why did poor urist drink the slime? There's a river available with fresh flowing water.
I don't even want to ask if this is going to wreck urists innards  :-X

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17641 on: February 17, 2012, 05:16:54 am »

which is faster, digging channels, or digging ramps? or are they the same speed?
I'm fairly certain they're the same speed.

Dwarves are more 'careful' when channeling.  When making ramps they don't care if another dwarf is standing where they mean to dig - ramps don't hurt anyone - they'll even stand on the square they are turning into a ramp themselves.  WIth channels, someone on the square = Urist waits to dig, and will go do something else in a few seconds if the opportunity to dig doesn't come.  Urist wont stand where he channels, and Urist would REALLY like to stand to the left of the square where he is about to channel if that's possibly, thank you VERY much player.

This means that ramps can be faster than channels, depending on what else is happening in that area as you play.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17642 on: February 17, 2012, 12:31:23 pm »

Hey all-

I just genned a new world in advanced, fiddling a little with the evil parameters to see if I could give myself a little more variety for science. I wanted to do a bunch of embarks on different areas and see what changed, etc. Note, I've never messed with these before.

Well, it took a bit but eventually worked. But now, I can't embark upon an entirely "haunted" or "sinister" zone. If one tile of a 4x4 embark is not one of these, it's okay, but if all of them are, "embark" is grayed out.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? Or point me to the correct thread to find out? Searching "world gen" didn't work well, there are lots of uses of the term. I'll probably just start a new world normally for use, and figure it out in a bit, but I'm curious and looking for resources.

Thanks!

nightwhips
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17643 on: February 17, 2012, 01:08:35 pm »

Anyone else finding magma breaching way harder? It seems like there's always smoke now, which knocks out the miner so the magma can kill him :/

Oh and since my miner got moltenified, he's only "missing". How do I make them realise he's very much dead, so I can give him a slab?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:15:11 pm by Yaotzin »

T-Mick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17644 on: February 17, 2012, 01:22:47 pm »

Looking to make Dragons playable in Adventure mode.  What tags go where for this?
“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s always laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!” -Hilaire Belloc

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #17645 on: February 17, 2012, 01:33:50 pm »

Looking to make Dragons playable in Adventure mode.  What tags go where for this?

I THINK all you have to do is go to entity_default.txt in your raws, and change [CREATURE:DWARF] to [CREATURE:DRAGON]- this would replace all the dwarven civs with dragon ones. If you want to keep the standard races and add your own, copy the entire [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN], rename it to [ENTITY:DRAGONFUN] or something and change the dwarf to dragon as before. That'd make a dragon civ distinct from dwarves, but with all the same abilities, ethics, settlement habits, etc. If you get ambitious you can check the modding guide on the wiki for more info, or head to the Modders Workshop thread in the modding subforum.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17646 on: February 17, 2012, 01:56:17 pm »

Anyone else finding magma breaching way harder? It seems like there's always smoke now, which knocks out the miner so the magma can kill him :/

Oh and since my miner got moltenified, he's only "missing". How do I make them realise he's very much dead, so I can give him a slab?

This automatically happens after a week I think.  Or something like that.

Haven't tried reaching magma yet, so no comment on that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17647 on: February 17, 2012, 01:57:17 pm »

I believe after a few months he's assumed dead?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17648 on: February 17, 2012, 02:00:12 pm »

There are safer ways to breach.  Channels below the breach, with floor bars for miners to stand on is probably the safest.  You might still lose a dwarf if they go unconscious in the tile immediately next to the breach, but if they even make it one tile before collapsing, and you have a good drainage system next to your breach, they might live.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17649 on: February 17, 2012, 02:53:15 pm »

But why did poor urist drink the slime?

Because it's not water.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17650 on: February 17, 2012, 03:17:43 pm »

I started a new game, but have no wagon. Probably because I spawned on a volcano and there was not enough room for a wagon. Supplies are still there. Does this have any negative game consequences besides starting out with 3 less wood?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17651 on: February 17, 2012, 03:23:49 pm »

This automatically happens after a week I think.  Or something like that.

Haven't tried reaching magma yet, so no comment on that.
Ah still says missing but I can engrave him now.

Do dwarf bodies incinerate in the magma or could I actually retrieve him? That would obviously be far dwarfier.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17652 on: February 17, 2012, 03:41:22 pm »

Pretty sure the body is gone for good once it goes in the magma.  :(
Through pain, I find wisdom.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17653 on: February 17, 2012, 04:19:18 pm »

I started a new game, but have no wagon. Probably because I spawned on a volcano and there was not enough room for a wagon. Supplies are still there. Does this have any negative game consequences besides starting out with 3 less wood?
Not to my knowledge.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17654 on: February 17, 2012, 06:02:25 pm »

Not to my knowledge.

I believe the wagon is required to be present for the initial default meeting area to exist.  Other than that (if that's even the case), agreement.  Designating a temporary meeting place takes just a few seconds.  In a dangerous environment, it's probably a good idea to designate that meetingplace.  In a safer environment it probably won't matter much.
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178