Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1091694 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17625 on: February 16, 2012, 12:02:18 pm »

Mechanics question!

I need a way to ensure that a grate is open at all times, until a pressure plate has been passed next to it, which will close it. It must not then re-open until that same (or another specific PP) has been triggered. Ideas?

Oh and it needs to be simple/small, without using some water/power operated system :p

You need to use a mechanical latching system to do this.  The pressure plate triggers the latch into one state, and then another pressure plate resets it back to the original state.  Usually this is done with water logic, where you let water in and out of a storage cell, with a water-sensing pressure plate in the cell controlling the grate.  If you are insistent on not using water or power to do this, it might be possible to do it with animal pathing logic, where you have some animal stuck behind two doors and use the two pressure plates to induce it to move from one spot to another.  I've never set up a system like that, and I'm not sure how reliable it would be.  I'd do it with water logic.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17626 on: February 16, 2012, 12:27:47 pm »

Hm problem is I'd need a separate system for ever room (these are for bedrooms). Hence the need for something simpler.

Do dwarves view a mechanism-operated door as something they can walk through, or do they try path around it?

KoSiNeK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17627 on: February 16, 2012, 12:50:21 pm »

my little bastards stopped putting food in pots/barels. i have tons of pots/barels in cluttered workshops. wtf?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17628 on: February 16, 2012, 12:50:59 pm »

Do dwarves view a mechanism-operated door as something they can walk through, or do they try path around it?

A mechanism-operated door blocks pathing when closed, so dwarves do not attempt to walk through it.

my little bastards stopped putting food in pots/barels. i have tons of pots/barels in cluttered workshops. wtf?

Check the Orders menu, did you disable hauling of food?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17629 on: February 16, 2012, 12:56:09 pm »

Foiled again =(

Think I'll fool around with machines some and hopefully something comes to me.

Probably sometime after Toady implements owned doors that dwarves lock themselves :D

KoSiNeK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17630 on: February 16, 2012, 01:00:07 pm »

i double checked now. no.
all they scream is "cant store in barel: job item misplaced"

eyemdastrongest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17631 on: February 16, 2012, 01:00:29 pm »

How good is rose gold for armor? Just got a rose gold gauntlet from a mood.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17632 on: February 16, 2012, 01:10:10 pm »

i double checked now. no.
all they scream is "cant store in barel: job item misplaced"

Do you see other evidence that they've stopped storing food in barrels, other than the alert "<dwarf> cancels store item in barrel: item misplaced"? Because getting that alert is normal...what happens is, the barrel gets chosen to be placed in a food stockpile. As soon as it's chosen for a food stockpile, it becomes a valid target for dwarves hauling food...even though nobody's moved it to the food stockpile yet.

So dwarves start hauling food toward the barrel, and another dwarf decides to take the job of hauling the barrel itself to the food stockpile. As soon as that dwarf picks up the barrel, the dwarves hauling food toward the barrel end up having to cancel their jobs: the target barrel isn't there any more.

They'll drop the food wherever they are, but eventually it'll get picked up and put in a barrel that's in a food stockpile, there are just some minor hickups along the way sometimes.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17633 on: February 16, 2012, 01:15:58 pm »

How good is rose gold for armor? Just got a rose gold gauntlet from a mood.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Metal#Weapon_.26_Armor_Quality

If you really want to delve into the numbers...

Short version from what I gather is that it would be pretty good as a war hammer, but as an armor it looks pretty rubbish.

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17634 on: February 16, 2012, 04:41:04 pm »

When my adventurer is struck down or I just choose to save my game, it takes about 10 minutes to get through the saving and back to the main menu.  Any way to fix this?

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17635 on: February 16, 2012, 05:07:52 pm »

So how could I trap elven traders? I've tried cave-ins with cage traps, but they didn't seem to get stunned, and drawbridges dropping them onto cage traps, and that didn't work either. What am I missing? Do I need to catch a GCS?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17636 on: February 16, 2012, 06:29:30 pm »

When my adventurer is struck down or I just choose to save my game, it takes about 10 minutes to get through the saving and back to the main menu.  Any way to fix this?

31.25 or 34.01?

If you're running the new version, I think this is a known issue where saving just takes a long time.  Not a lot you can do.

Are you saving to a flash drive or something other than your hard drive?  That could slow it down a lot, with either version.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17637 on: February 16, 2012, 07:11:28 pm »

I actually am using a flash drive for Dwarf Fortress.  May try putting it on the hard drive just to see if it helps.

twichyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17638 on: February 17, 2012, 12:53:07 am »

which is faster, digging channels, or digging ramps? or are they the same speed?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17639 on: February 17, 2012, 01:32:30 am »

which is faster, digging channels, or digging ramps? or are they the same speed?
I'm fairly certain they're the same speed.
Pages: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178