Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1092206 times)

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17610 on: February 16, 2012, 01:02:24 am »

How do I get hens to claim a nest box? I've built the box, set a pasture over it, and set the hen in h pasture. It just sits over the box w/o claiming it. It's been about a year. I've unbuilt/rebuilt the box and undesignated/redesignated the pasture a bunch of times to see if I could push through a bug.

What's the deal?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17611 on: February 16, 2012, 01:04:55 am »

the pasture is probably the problem.

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17612 on: February 16, 2012, 01:12:18 am »

I got rid of the pasture and the birds just left. I waited a bit to reply and they've still not returned. Could it be that it's because the boxes are indoors?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17613 on: February 16, 2012, 01:18:31 am »

What I would do is seal off the boxes for a few seasons, then open them and see if the birds come to lay eggs.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17614 on: February 16, 2012, 01:26:31 am »

Hens or other female birds ONLY claim a box while they're hatching eggs in it. So if your hen is laying eggs in the nest, then they're getting collected by dwarves before you notice, you won't see it claimed. If you have a rooster and want the eggs to hatch, add some doors to the room the nest box is in and lock them so your dwarves can't enter for a while.

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17615 on: February 16, 2012, 02:38:12 am »

Hens or other female birds ONLY claim a box while they're hatching eggs in it. So if your hen is laying eggs in the nest, then they're getting collected by dwarves before you notice, you won't see it claimed. If you have a rooster and want the eggs to hatch, add some doors to the room the nest box is in and lock them so your dwarves can't enter for a while.

Ah. I see. So that would explain why the boxes have been claimed for a few seconds at a time and then unclaimed for long periods. And it would explain why eggs have started turning up in the kitchen.

Thanks.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17616 on: February 16, 2012, 05:51:08 am »

Best way to ensure hatching is just to turn off any stockpiles allowing eggs :p

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17617 on: February 16, 2012, 08:49:04 am »

I got rid of the pasture and the birds just left. I waited a bit to reply and they've still not returned. Could it be that it's because the boxes are indoors?

I have been raising birds for eggs in indoor pastures for years without problems.  Being in a pasture does not prevent birds from claiming nest boxes, so long as the nest box is also in the pasture.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #17618 on: February 16, 2012, 09:19:58 am »

How frequently does the cursed mist appear? I see rain all the time, but no mist whatsoever, on several different evil-aligned embarks.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17619 on: February 16, 2012, 10:02:16 am »

Is it possible to build a floor through which a dwarf can see? I think floor grates don't block the line of sight but I can't build other furniture onto a floor grate...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17620 on: February 16, 2012, 10:17:28 am »

You can't make a floor that can be seen through and that you can then build other items on top of, no.  Floor grates and horizontal bars don't support anything and can't be built on top of.  Floors made from any kind of glass blocks can't be seen through, either.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17621 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:59 am »

Where does one generally find the entrance to the sewers when searching in the city? (Aside from the fact that the "notable buildings" listing had sewer entrance... I just can't find the damned thing.)
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17622 on: February 16, 2012, 11:21:05 am »

Technically, there are no sewers in DF2010.  Maybe it's time to rename this thread, or make a new one?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17623 on: February 16, 2012, 11:32:54 am »

Mechanics question!

I need a way to ensure that a grate is open at all times, until a pressure plate has been passed next to it, which will close it. It must not then re-open until that same (or another specific PP) has been triggered. Ideas?

Oh and it needs to be simple/small, without using some water/power operated system :p
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:43:36 am by Yaotzin »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #17624 on: February 16, 2012, 11:43:27 am »

How frequently does the cursed mist appear? I see rain all the time, but no mist whatsoever, on several different evil-aligned embarks.

I think that on Evil biomes, you only get one, mist or rain. Incidentally, have all your embarks been on zombie lands, or on fantastic evil lands? I myself have never had evil rain, and I've never had evil mist and zombies coexist (which is just fine by me, as the mist is deadly enough, thankyouverymuch.) I suspect that you can only have 1 of 3, or 2 if rain and zombies play nice together.

Technically, there are no sewers in DF2010.  Maybe it's time to rename this thread, or make a new one?

Considering the Wiki is going to have a new namespace for 2012, that's probably a good idea.