Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1135 1136 [1137] 1138 1139 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123182 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17040 on: January 30, 2012, 04:59:32 am »

retract simply "vanishes" the bridge

the various directions will raise the bridge in that direction and it will create an unbreachable wall there

if raised against another surface or lowered on a floor or such, anything on/under it will get smashed. If there is no surface against which it is raised, it will launch people skywards. Doing this on a creature that is too large destroys the bridge
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:01:26 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #17041 on: January 30, 2012, 05:02:16 am »

Is your bridge over a gap, or just built on the ground? Assuming the latter:

'Retract' just makes the bridge disappear so:
 xxxxxDDDDD
 ,.,..DDDDD
 xxxxxDDDDD

'Raise (arrow)' makes the bridge disappear and effectively turns the last row in the direction of the arrow into a wall(W).
Raise ←:
 xxxxxDDDDD
 W.,..DDDDD
 xxxxxDDDDD

Raise →:
 xxxxxDDDDD
 ,.,.WDDDDD
 xxxxxDDDDD

Raise ↑:
 xxxxxDDDDD
 WWWWWDDDDD
 xxxxxDDDDD

Raise ↓:
 xxxxxDDDDD
 WWWWWDDDDD
 xxxxxDDDDD

In the last two, because there is only one 'row' it turns the whole bridge into a wall. You probably want 'Raise →'.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17042 on: January 30, 2012, 05:21:24 am »

Alright I get it thanks!

So why would I want to raise -> instead of making it a full wall by raising north or south? Should I be putting more traps or something underneath most of the bridge (can I do that?), thereby exposing them?

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #17043 on: January 30, 2012, 05:30:08 am »

Yeah, in your case with a 1 tile wide corridor it makes little difference I guess. The important thing is that the 'inside' edge of the raised bridge is inaccessible to building destroyers.

You can't build traps (or anything else) on ground exposed by a raised bridge.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17044 on: January 30, 2012, 05:43:19 am »

if it raises towards your entrance, it will seal it from flying units. Also, the 'drawing' was a bit off: you do not get a wall on that open space, but on the edge where you "connect" the bridge
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17045 on: January 30, 2012, 07:19:17 am »

I have my poultry in a pen with lots of nest boxs. Some of them keep dying from starvation, or suffocation or such though. Does that mean my room needs to be bigger?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17046 on: January 30, 2012, 07:38:09 am »

I have my poultry in a pen with lots of nest boxs. Some of them keep dying from starvation, or suffocation or such though. Does that mean my room needs to be bigger?

The former means that some of your birds are grazers, such as Elk Birds in vanilla. Best get rid of that tag in their raws. Suffocation comes from them fighting because there isn't enough space, so yeah you need a bigger room. However, note that animals with extremely large number of hatchlings will die that way even in the middle of colossal rooms- they just want to be near their mother, which is harmless only as long as 'they' isn't a horde of 70 cave croc hatchlings.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:39:46 am by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17047 on: January 30, 2012, 08:03:34 am »

Ah OK I don't care about other birds dying. Must've wandered in. Tried to make the room bigger but there's a limit on zone sizes, gah! They need to grow up so I can slaughter most of them :evil:

I just had a goblin child snatcher walk into one of my cages - can I do anything more useful with him than make a soldier and order him to die?

Also, is there any way to bar all but 1 dwarf from entering an area? I'm trying to use a burrow to train my architect by designing supports, but the masons keep wandering in and making it take longer than it should :/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:12:00 am by Yaotzin »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17048 on: January 30, 2012, 08:12:37 am »

Ah OK I don't care about other birds dying. Must've wandered in. Tried to make the room bigger but there's a limit on zone sizes, gah! They need to grow up so I can slaughter most of them :evil:

I just had a goblin child snatcher walk into one of my cages - can I do anything more useful with him than make a soldier and order him to die?

Speaking of cages, you can just put all the young birds in a single built cage, preferably near the butcher's workshop :D If they aren't grazers, they'll grow up just fine, without fighting. Works with all animals.

About the goblin: Disarm it. d-b-c then d-b-d on it's cage, "k" and undump just the cage, watch the dwarfs rush in and take away all it's stuff :) And THEN you can get it out of the cage (linking it to lever, or pitting the gobbo) and order a soldier to kill it.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17049 on: January 30, 2012, 08:35:52 am »

LOL stealing all his cloths. I love this game. Is there anything useful I can do with his random leather stuff? Just wear it if it's valuable?

So can I basically think of a cage with a bad guy in it, as just another random item that's harmless until I unlock it?

Hm I'm at 76 pop. How many soldiers do I need for the attack ? :0 Will ~5 steel items each for 10 dwarfs with little training save me?

Arg, where are mechanisms on the trade screen? I want to get rid of my extras :(
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:50:26 am by Yaotzin »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17050 on: January 30, 2012, 09:00:09 am »

furniture, I think
nowhere, you have to scroll through all your items and select them manually. Note that pressing (d) will sort by value instead of distance, so it will be above all that wood and stone you may have nearby, and also above most other items

and no, the dabbling dwarfs won't save your fort holding weapons they can't use and armor they can't use
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:02:54 am by Garath »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17051 on: January 30, 2012, 09:11:30 am »

Unfortunate!

After I die, what should I do different? Embark with some weapon skills? If so which?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17052 on: January 30, 2012, 09:18:47 am »

if raised against another surface or lowered on a floor or such, anything on/under it will get smashed. If there is no surface against which it is raised, it will launch people skywards. Doing this on a creature that is too large destroys the bridge

Actually, the presence or absence of walls around the raising bridge has no effect whatsoever on whether items will be smashed by it.

When a drawbridge is raised, one side of the drawbridge becomes a wall.  Anything on those tiles which become a wall will be destroyed.  This happens regardless of whether there are any other walls around the drawbridge or a roof over it.  Creatures or objects on the rest of the bridge will be thrown up to 11 tiles in a random direction.  If they can't move because there's a wall or roof in the way, they simply don't go anywhere.

If you try to raise a drawbridge with a creature of size greater than about 1,200,000 on it, the bridge simple won't raise.  It won't be destroyed, it just won't raise.

When a drawbridge is destroyed, any creatures or objects in the way are destroyed.  This happens regardless of whether there are walls around the drawbridge.  If any creature of size greater than about 1,200,000 is in the way when you lower the drawbridge, the bridge will deconstruct into its raw materials instead of destroying the creature.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17053 on: January 30, 2012, 09:51:09 am »

I'm only getting like 2 meat from my Gobblers :(

Does this mean they're only adolescent? How do I know if they're full grown?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17054 on: January 30, 2012, 10:32:31 am »

you can look it up in the raw files. I forgot how it would look like

dog:
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:1000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:12500]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:30000]

dwarf:

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:3000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:168:15000]
[BODY_SIZE:12:0:60000]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:46:50 am by Garath »
Pages: 1 ... 1135 1136 [1137] 1138 1139 ... 1178