Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1124 1125 [1126] 1127 1128 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123466 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16875 on: January 21, 2012, 01:58:58 am »

Sorry for the DP, but this is a different question: I just killed the elves' diplomat so I can be at war with them since the gobs seem to be afraid of my fort (Seriously, in 5 years only one siege by one squad of speargobs, and my wealth is at 2 mil!). How long until I can expect the first siege of elves?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16876 on: January 21, 2012, 04:16:42 am »

Meals have much higher value than their constituent components and provide happier thoughts.  Apparently a skilled chef can buy out caravans with a few dwarven syrup roasts, or at least they could at one point.

Still can.

my most common dish right now is a plump helmet roast with turkey and chicken eggs. Since all ingredients come in decent stacks (master farmer), it is a large dish (around 30/40 units) and fetches 4000 urists or more. Since all ingredients are incredibly easy to come by, this should indicate how much a good chef can boost your income
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16877 on: January 21, 2012, 06:51:47 am »

should I even bother stripping the elves of their weapons before pitting them in the arena(Bow elves being the exception of course!)? I mean, I Know there IS adifference between a training weapon and a wooden one, but does it make any impact at all against my bronze clad recruits?
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16878 on: January 21, 2012, 08:45:42 am »

Sorry for the DP, but this is a different question: I just killed the elves' diplomat so I can be at war with them since the gobs seem to be afraid of my fort (Seriously, in 5 years only one siege by one squad of speargobs, and my wealth is at 2 mil!). How long until I can expect the first siege of elves?

Usually they'll attack you the year after you kill their diplomat.  Sometimes, if you've had a long history of trading peacefully, once isn't enough and you have to kill their diplomat again the next year.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16879 on: January 21, 2012, 09:07:09 am »

What's the best way of creating a reserve of bolts? I'm finding my legendary marksdorfs are chewing through bolts like you wouldn't believe! I'd like for them to have a reserve so that when an emergency comes up I don't find them meleeing because the used up all the bolts in the fort at the archery ranges

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16880 on: January 21, 2012, 11:22:22 am »

What's the best way of creating a reserve of bolts? I'm finding my legendary marksdorfs are chewing through bolts like you wouldn't believe! I'd like for them to have a reserve so that when an emergency comes up I don't find them meleeing because the used up all the bolts in the fort at the archery ranges
Carve a pit behind the range, and put a wall past it. Missed bolts will hit the wall and fall to the level below undamaged.
Like this:

W_......
W_X.....
W_......
W_X.....
W_......
W_X.....
W_......

W: Wall
_: Open space
X: Target
.: Floor

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16881 on: January 21, 2012, 02:10:32 pm »

Re: Training Maces

Sparring injuries are much less prevalent than they were in the bad ol' days of 40d- in fact, I'd go so far as to say they are virtually nonexistent. Go ahead and just equip them with combat-ready weaponry.

My dorfs spar with candy, and I haven't seen any serious injuries result.

what's the best way of speeding up candy production?

Dig up as much as you can as fast as you can.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16882 on: January 21, 2012, 03:23:23 pm »

Is there an issue with the search site option?  I'm not getting a message saying it's finding sites that are only a "partial" match, and yet, sometimes my area info does not actually say "flux stone" on it.  Does this mean there IS flux stone, or that there isn't and my site finder is lying to me?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16883 on: January 21, 2012, 03:24:36 pm »

flux is a bit bugged in the find
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16884 on: January 21, 2012, 03:27:24 pm »

So basically I just have no way of knowing for sure?

Am I okay in just thinking that if I don't find any, I can request the traders to bring some (or just bring steel or whatever)?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16885 on: January 21, 2012, 03:32:05 pm »

So basically I just have no way of knowing for sure?

Am I okay in just thinking that if I don't find any, I can request the traders to bring some (or just bring steel or whatever)?

Yeah, if your civ has access to it you can request it from the trade caravan. You'll know if your civ has access if you can request it on the embark screen.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16886 on: January 21, 2012, 03:46:57 pm »

you should e fine even if you just have iron. Steel is a sort of super plus: none of the civs attacking you will have it. Steel is set to be only produceable for dwarf civs

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16887 on: January 21, 2012, 03:50:18 pm »

Alright, thanks, that makes me feel bunches better!  I have two worlds with decent seeming embark sites (with volcanos in non mountain binomes, yay), so I don't want to be compulsive about whether the site has it or not.  I don't know why I am worrying about it, it's not like I ever make it that far, but I would like to, at some point.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16888 on: January 21, 2012, 03:57:58 pm »

in fact, most of my embarks don't even have iron. Simply by ordering stuff from the caravans you can get far. There is also goblinite, metals gotten from goblins. Using spiked balls instead of serrated discs will be *very* effective if you don't have iron. I must say I rather prefer them over the serrated discs, they are just rather useless against things like colossi and zombie variants. Having an army in masterwork copper armor with a lot of training is still better than having rookies in ordinairy steel, I think, since quality detrmines so much

Urist McEngineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16889 on: January 21, 2012, 05:20:53 pm »

Good evening, Gentlemen and beardless creatures.

I have some more questions today. If I would like to build a magma moat in my soil layer do I need to build constructed walls and floors on any tile that will be in contact with the magma?

And secondly I would like to obsidian-cast a fairly large fortress above ground in my tundra/taiga map. Is falling water possible so I can obsidianize magma?

Kind Regards.
Urist McEngineer.
Pages: 1 ... 1124 1125 [1126] 1127 1128 ... 1178