Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123675 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16695 on: January 07, 2012, 04:35:29 am »

How do I fix this? Look like off-tiled stuff. It seem to happen on only a few selected creatures.
EDIT: forgot my pic
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:10:24 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16696 on: January 07, 2012, 04:54:36 am »

My !!SCIENCE!! proved hunters will not hunt when burrowed.  I had hoped to make a hunting range on the topside with burrows, so as to kinda keep my hunter in the safe areas, away from ponds, that one block of terrorfying in corner of 4x4 embark, and generally above ground, near the underground spawn in edges, at fortress entrances, etc.

Aw crap.  I just finished setting up a burrow in my fort for hunting, it's got a 2 z-level pit for pitting caged animals where the hunter can shoot them safely without the hunter going somewhere unsafe or the the animal wandering off the map or something.  I might still get it to work by burrowing the hunter, locking the doors, dropping the badgers in and then releasing the hunter from the burrow but it'll take more micromanagement than I was hoping.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16697 on: January 07, 2012, 12:31:55 pm »

Does a screw pump cancel water pressure? Like, if I had a tunnel from an aboveground river, leading to a belowground screw pump, would the water stay on the same level after it went through the pump?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16698 on: January 07, 2012, 12:36:38 pm »

Yes.  The pressure of the water on the output side of the pump is that of the level of the pump, regardless of the pressure at the inlet side.  Just make sure that there's no way for water to flow past the pump from the inlet to the outlet - the path should be completely blocked by the impassible tile of the pump.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16699 on: January 07, 2012, 12:50:42 pm »

Do building destroyers go for screw pumps?

If so, can I block them with some metal bars?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16700 on: January 07, 2012, 01:15:04 pm »

You can protect the pump by completely surrounding it with walls, and having it draw water from the unsecured pool through a rate.  Building destroyers can't destroy buildings on a different Z-level than them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16701 on: January 08, 2012, 12:07:13 am »

What causes my military dwarves to run outside my fort for a few days with either No Job or Cannot Follow Orders? I have multiple meeting areas/statue parks/memorials inside my fort where they can hang out, so why the hell do they just wander off outside for no damn reason all the time.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16702 on: January 08, 2012, 01:34:33 am »

What causes my military dwarves to run outside my fort for a few days with either No Job or Cannot Follow Orders? I have multiple meeting areas/statue parks/memorials inside my fort where they can hang out, so why the hell do they just wander off outside for no damn reason all the time.
Do you have any squads scheduled to patrol or guard?

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16703 on: January 08, 2012, 03:25:15 am »

No they were all set to train 11 months a year and they were engravers for that offduty month with a huge area to smooth out (which they never got close to finishing smoothing by the time the fort failed).

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16704 on: January 08, 2012, 05:19:03 am »

Question:
1) Do building destroyers destroy supports? And if they do then how can I safely hang my fortress to the sky?

2) If I start in calm region does that mean that caverns will also spawn "calm" monsters or are they independent on the starting region?

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16705 on: January 08, 2012, 05:52:00 am »

Sometimes they seem to move to previous station points or where kill orders have been given.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16706 on: January 08, 2012, 07:26:36 am »

Question:
1) Do building destroyers destroy supports? And if they do then how can I safely hang my fortress to the sky?

2) If I start in calm region does that mean that caverns will also spawn "calm" monsters or are they independent on the starting region?

Caverns are independent of surface biomes in my experience, I got skeletal Dralthas in a Calm embark.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16707 on: January 08, 2012, 07:39:12 am »

Building destroyers do not target supports.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16708 on: January 08, 2012, 09:39:11 am »

What causes my military dwarves to run outside my fort for a few days with either No Job or Cannot Follow Orders?

Any dwarf with No Job can go anywhere it pleases, subject only to the limits of physical terrain and obstacles.

It's been my experience that dwarves with No Jobs like to wander around in places they've recently been (in addition to their own bedroom, the statue garden, etc.).  So if your military dwarves were stationed outside, an off-duty squad member might decide to hang out there afterward.

Best cure seems to be building more statue gardens and zoos to draw the idle dwarves, as well as more work to prevent idleness.

Or, of course, magma.  That solves all the wandering, forever.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16709 on: January 08, 2012, 09:48:30 am »

How do I fix this? Look like off-tiled stuff. It seem to happen on only a few selected creatures.
EDIT: forgot my pic

Looks like your animal textures have the wrong grid size (13x16 instead of 16x16).
Pages: 1 ... 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 ... 1178