Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1111 1112 [1113] 1114 1115 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123672 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16680 on: January 04, 2012, 02:02:20 am »

All righty, fellow dorf herders. I am officially stumped.

I've got a bunch of stacks of animal fat and a bunch of kitchens that won't take "render fat" jobs, and a bunch of reserved tallow and two barrels of traded lye that somehow I can't get made into soap. Auto-kitchen orders are on. Paths are available to all resources. I've tried assigning manually. I've run DF Hack's "cleanowned" function to remove any ownership tags. I'm about to try the manager.

WTF is going on?!

ETA: Manager eventually got the kitchens to go to work on it. Next will be getting the soap. Still, bwuh?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:07:04 am by proxn_punkd »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16681 on: January 04, 2012, 02:14:05 am »

Has that kitchen ever made anything? 

One day, I hope in the not too distant future that Toady, expands the footprint of all 3x3 workshops. The ones with closed off edges, like the kitchen.  Is your door facing that counter, which can't be pathed through?

Oh, you got a manager in that fortress, ya don't say.  Did you accidentally set up the minimum skill level for that workshop to something above and beyond your cooks skills?

Got any suspended jobs in your unit list?  Get rid of um.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16682 on: January 04, 2012, 02:32:08 am »

The problem was not that the cooks were not cooking. I literally could not assign the jobs normally.

All nine of my kitchens (I'm a chronic overproducer when it comes to food) have functioned just fine in the past. They're located in large rooms, with at least one tile of free walkable space on all sides. There appears to be nothing blocking them, including profiles.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16683 on: January 04, 2012, 03:33:05 am »

The problem was not that the cooks were not cooking. I literally could not assign the jobs normally.

All nine of my kitchens (I'm a chronic overproducer when it comes to food) have functioned just fine in the past. They're located in large rooms, with at least one tile of free walkable space on all sides. There appears to be nothing blocking them, including profiles.

I'm glad manager did the trick.  I have that problem too, with the honey press.  Manager is only way I can get them to use it.  The option is disabled.  It should just go to suspend, if the material isn't available, not be prevented from being ordered, IMO.  *shrug*

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Relapse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16684 on: January 04, 2012, 12:54:39 pm »

I'm working with burrows for the first time. Will dwarfs will leave the burrow in order to fulfill a mood?

EDIT: This probably doesn't go here, but when using dwarf therapist how can I sort the dwarves by migration wave?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:02:40 pm by Relapse »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16685 on: January 04, 2012, 01:03:17 pm »

I'm working with burrows for the first time. Will dwarfs will leave the burrow in order to fulfill a mood?
They will not pick up construction materials from outside the burrow, but they will still use the workshop they have claimed even if it is outside the burrow.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16686 on: January 04, 2012, 03:21:34 pm »

Depends how ya have it setup.  I run in cheat mode with child labor on, and the childs leave burrows all the time, so I don't think they follow the burrow restraints like adults do.  However adults will, tend to, but never took notice.  I did test hunters however.  My !!SCIENCE!! proved hunters will not hunt when burrowed.  I had hoped to make a hunting range on the topside with burrows, so as to kinda keep my hunter in the safe areas, away from ponds, that one block of terrorfying in corner of 4x4 embark, and generally above ground, near the underground spawn in edges, at fortress entrances, etc.  Unfortuanately hunters here in DF are just like they are in LOTRO and WOW, their AI is lacking.  Thoughts of the naughty word, Huntard, come to mind.  They don't perform their hunt action at all when burrowed, even when full stockpiled, fed.  If Hunters are a member of a burrow, they do no job.   :-X  A fellow forum writer, can't remember who, did tell me, miners will mine out a burrow that is marked off, marked off in the dark subterranean, aslong as its inside the burrow limits.  The painter sorta cuts the viewing area, as undiscovered, it however will still allow for them to mine.  But to get back on topic..  Children will in dirty cheater mode will.  Dunno about adults, I would have to say, No.  Burrow rules are the final say.  However, I have no idea how the thrillseeker attribute effects this.  I'd think that they might leave to get a 'high' from something, if they had a high point for thrillseeker.   

EDIT: This probably doesn't go here, but when using dwarf therapist how can I sort the dwarves by migration wave?

Group by has a pull down menu, it usually is found as a button, right below the main menu pull downs.  Good luck!

Sincerely,
Knutor

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16687 on: January 04, 2012, 05:08:52 pm »

Question:  If I have a hunter who has 3 hunting dogs assigned to him who then decides to go hunt a giant cave spider and get eaten, is it possible to reassign his dogs to someone else?  Cuz they aren't coming up in the assign menu :(

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16688 on: January 04, 2012, 06:10:41 pm »

Nope, not specifically, one those 3 dogs.  I had this problem picking a war tiger from among a bunch of war dogs.  It kept picking dogs, and I couldn't choose the tiger.  I think goes with the problems surrounding future patches, and of not normally being able to use exotics pets, and the unfinished Dungeon Master fixes.

You should be able to make them available, or butcher them, without a problem, however. 

Sincerely,
Knutor

pixfix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16689 on: January 05, 2012, 09:42:23 pm »

I am just starting out, going through some basic tutorials and I have created a small fort in the mountainside with stockpiles inside. The problem I have is there is granite everywhere, and its taking up space in my stockpiles. Is there a way to get rid of it all?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16690 on: January 05, 2012, 10:02:01 pm »

I am just starting out, going through some basic tutorials and I have created a small fort in the mountainside with stockpiles inside. The problem I have is there is granite everywhere, and its taking up space in my stockpiles. Is there a way to get rid of it all?
'q' your stockpile go to the stone tab and turn off all the common, non-economic stones.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16691 on: January 06, 2012, 01:07:37 pm »

Craftsdwarf workshops > Create Rock Pots > Repeat
Mechanic workshops > Create Rock Mechanisms > Repeat
Mason workshops > Create Tables > Repeat > Create Thrones > Repeat > Create Cabinets > Repeat

Uses up lots of stone and gives you useful objects and furniture. If you want to burn through even more stone, you can set up stonefall traps using the mechanisms, which will be loaded with more raw rocks from the piles. Make sure you have economic stones restricted, so your dwarves only use the junk stone!

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16692 on: January 06, 2012, 03:13:42 pm »

Alternatively... use zones (i) to make a garbage dump.  Then (d)esignate --> (b)uilding/item properties --> (d)ump all that stone.
Warning:  All available Dwarves will consider this a priority.  Massive stone dumping has been known to cause halts in productivity and/or drops in FPS.  It is recommended that you dump small sections of stone at a time.

Bonus points:  Make that garbage dump only one tile, directly next to your mason's or craftsdwarf's shop(s).  (d)-->(b)-->(c)laim all that stone back.  Tons of stone in one tile, all ready for use.

Mostly, I make crafts, toys, instruments, and mugs with my abundant stone resources.  I have never managed to get rid of "it all," but I have managed, over several game years, to clear the majority of my fortress's halls.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:22:36 pm by HammerHand »
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

pixfix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16693 on: January 06, 2012, 07:29:45 pm »

Thanks for the help! Worked out great.

Another question. I embarked and started digging underground setting up my fort as there is no mountains or stone nearby. Am I screwed without stone? How can I get some without any nearby?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16694 on: January 06, 2012, 07:48:25 pm »

Another question. I embarked and started digging underground setting up my fort as there is no mountains or stone nearby. Am I screwed without stone? How can I get some without any nearby?
Dig downwards? There's almost never more than five z-levels of soil.
Pages: 1 ... 1111 1112 [1113] 1114 1115 ... 1178