Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1104 1105 [1106] 1107 1108 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123780 times)

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16575 on: December 17, 2011, 01:33:56 pm »

I want to encrust my golden crafts with jewels!But I cant,I cut up a bunch of different gems, go to the crust menu, get three alternatives, finished good, furniture and ammo but nothing happens when I try selecting them and they are all white, not greyed out or anything.

Fixed it, didnt know I had to select which gem I wanted to use for encrusting. :P

Kimril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16576 on: December 17, 2011, 05:48:30 pm »

what do i need to upgrade a tomb to a grand mausoleum? just raise the value?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16577 on: December 17, 2011, 07:16:04 pm »

Yes.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16578 on: December 17, 2011, 08:27:22 pm »

Yes. I usually start making places nice by smoothing and engraving them with a team of high-level engravers. When that's all finished, if the room's still too low value, I start adding whatever furniture has the highest quality and value-- ever since I discovered how fancy fabric can be, it tends to be masterwork dyed plant-fiber ropes and the odd high-quality lead or copper statue. If a king shows up at Whisperbolt, I'll probably have enough gold ore to fill his chambers with gold statues and furniture.

ETA: I'm getting "Dwarf cancels place item in tomb: Item inaccessible" spam. Hitting Zoom just takes me to a refuse pile full of dead goblins and trolls. How do I end the spam?

Never mind! Turns out a carpenter wasn't equipped for the danger room and got skewered and I missed the message-- and since the spikes were still going, his corpse couldn't be accessed.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 11:33:18 pm by proxn_punkd »

Relapse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16579 on: December 19, 2011, 07:13:42 am »

I'm having some trouble it the "take from stockpile" option... I go to the stockpile near the still and tell it to only accept barrels and large pots/food storage. Then I hit 't' then move over to my large everything furniture stockpile and select it. So far no barrels grace my smaller stockpile. Any reason why?

Edit: figured it out, I accidentally blocked the materials. :/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:24:09 am by Relapse »

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16580 on: December 19, 2011, 02:22:48 pm »

What's the deal with actually being able to enter caverns? I break through to their top layer but can't figure out how to build stairs down into em.

Valthero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • YouTube account
« Reply #16581 on: December 19, 2011, 02:27:25 pm »

What's the deal with actually being able to enter caverns? I break through to their top layer but can't figure out how to build stairs down into em.
Try tunneling down the wall of the cavern with staircases until you reach the floor of the cavern.
Bugbats, all of you.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16582 on: December 19, 2011, 02:29:17 pm »

constructions and such have to stand on something or be horizontally connected to floor, wall, unmined stone, etc, so building a stairway in midair, even if it is connected to your down stairs, is not possible, gravity at work
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16583 on: December 19, 2011, 03:08:33 pm »

constructions and such have to stand on something or be horizontally connected to floor, wall, unmined stone, etc, so building a stairway in midair, even if it is connected to your down stairs, is not possible, gravity at work

Actually, one of the changes in the current version is that you can build an up/down stair directly beneath a down stair even without anything horizontal to it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16584 on: December 19, 2011, 03:16:59 pm »

nice. so any idea why it isnt working there? not the latest version?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16585 on: December 19, 2011, 03:39:03 pm »

Speaking of latest version, when will the new one with vampires and stuff be out?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16586 on: December 19, 2011, 04:03:25 pm »

Speaking of latest version, when will the new one with vampires and stuff be out?
Likely not till at least mid-January (according to the Current Development/Download page).

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16587 on: December 19, 2011, 07:05:24 pm »

I know you can farm underground on bare rock by irrigation. Can you irrigate and keep an animal pastured there, too? Or do you have to keep animals that require pasture on clay/sand/loam/etc. that will grow cave moss when you've gotten into a cavern?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16588 on: December 19, 2011, 07:26:36 pm »

Once you have irrigated bare rock, it will grow cave moss, which you can keep grazing animals pastured on.  So yes, you can pasture a grazing animal on irrigated rock floor.  But not on constructed rock floors, because those won't grow plants even if muddied.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16589 on: December 19, 2011, 08:05:19 pm »

What about smoothed and/or engraved natural floors?
Pages: 1 ... 1104 1105 [1106] 1107 1108 ... 1178