Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1095 1096 [1097] 1098 1099 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123898 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16440 on: December 06, 2011, 01:45:38 pm »

TL;DR Do utilities help streamline micro-management?
Dunno.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What do you think? :P
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16441 on: December 06, 2011, 03:04:44 pm »

Dunno.
What do you think? :P

What IS that? Looks a bit like therapist with more messed up skill level symbols... but man, the attribute screen is a must have. Is there any way to view it in Dwarf Therapist?

Question: if I dig a channel, have some flowing water in it, and build floor grates over it, will a prisoner chained next to the floorgrate be able to drink water?

GFF      G-grate above channel with some (less than 7/7) water
GCF      F- floor
GFF      C- chain
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #16442 on: December 06, 2011, 04:56:53 pm »

question related to Genesis Mod.
bit of a situation here. i think the damn illithid poisoned their own arachna dresses.
at least, one of them is certainly cursed.

the situation is this:
first off a gem cutter dies suffocated out of nowhere, i inspect him and find nothing.
so i move on.
then i see a dwarf lingering about "with his hmmm parts freezing" and all his lower body freezing.
after a while, he dies too.
this is where i realize he has an arachna dress on.

then another guy starts suffering, and he too has an arachna dress on.
so i do the only sane thing i can do as a paranoid, i make them dump all the "arachna" stuff.
...was it that, or something else?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16443 on: December 06, 2011, 05:04:15 pm »

Could it have been the same dress?  It might have somehow picked up a coating of some extract or creature blood or venom that has a very low fixed temperature.  This can happen in vanilla if you have a piece of armor that gets fire imp goo on it - a dwarf will pick it up and put it on, and then die, and then another dwarf will claim that same piece of armor, die, etc.  If you killed some creature with a fixed low body temperature and got its blood on a dress you could be seeing that problem.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Joost66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16444 on: December 06, 2011, 05:32:15 pm »

That image, it scares me. I can't tell if it's more complicated or less complicated than the current system...
Hello. Have a nice day.

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16445 on: December 06, 2011, 05:44:38 pm »

Each row is a dwarf, sorted by migrant wave. Each column is a duty you can click to enable or disable. In those boxes are ticks/stars which indicate the skill level of the particular dwarf in that duty, this can be changed though to your preference to a growing box size or just increasing numbers.

Its really a time saver for mass job designation and really worth looking into.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16446 on: December 06, 2011, 05:53:46 pm »

It's really less complicated than the current system. You can see the skills of every dwarf in the fortress, you can change the skills of every dwarf or group of dwarves in the fortress at once, and you can roll the list into one chunk and make sure all jobs are represented instead of going through likely dwarves or ordering something done and then waiting to see if any dwarves have the relevant job. To find the information shown in that screenshot in-game you'd need to look at two different screens for each dwarf, and you'd have to return to the unit list between every screen viewed. And you'd have to make your own notes while doing it.

What IS that? Looks a bit like therapist with more messed up skill level symbols... but man, the attribute screen is a must have. Is there any way to view it in Dwarf Therapist?
The line glyphs are the default, I believe. In older versions it was something else, the growing box maybe. To view physical attributes you need the DT clone linked here, and with that clone you get some other features as well. You can view the ages of animals and select them for butchery, which is handy for creatures that are ageing or that achieve adulthood before they're fully-grown.

That view is pretty much read-only. The only jobs that can be toggled are Siege Engineer and Siege Operator, which are only nominally military. The rest of it is for looking at migrants and seeing which ones are good military fodder, or for examining current military and checking on their progress and mood and ability to not drown in an oversized puddle. Having all that information to hand means you won't end up putting a glass peashooter with no skills in your military, and maybe you'll find a dwarf whose stats and skills make them lousy in combat but great instructors.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #16447 on: December 07, 2011, 03:00:50 am »

Could it have been the same dress?  It might have somehow picked up a coating of some extract or creature blood or venom that has a very low fixed temperature.  This can happen in vanilla if you have a piece of armor that gets fire imp goo on it - a dwarf will pick it up and put it on, and then die, and then another dwarf will claim that same piece of armor, die, etc.  If you killed some creature with a fixed low body temperature and got its blood on a dress you could be seeing that problem.

mmm i killed illithids, a giantess, a forgotten crow beast, and so on, but i'd bet on the illithids. because the first death was of a Potter.
and not of one of my axedwarves.
the second death was of an axedwarf.
but no more death as of now, i simply dumped every "arachna" stuff i had, so the venomous stuff went too...
oh well, i'll sell it off to somebody else.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16448 on: December 07, 2011, 04:49:06 am »

dfhack can be used to clean blood, ichor and stuff from floors, but also from items like clothing. On the other hand, i once had a serrated disc with venomous blood on it. Since it wasnt on the tile anymore and the dwarfs dont interact with the trap itself, i had basically ended up with a poisonous trap
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Valthero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • YouTube account
« Reply #16449 on: December 07, 2011, 02:27:30 pm »

Question related to modding; more of an annoyance than a problem.
I want my fortress guard squad to be all Marksdwarves, because I have a thing for patrolling aboveground fort walls. I have done this, and everything is spiffy. However, my Captain of the Guard is blue, while the others are green. This is confusing, as my only other squad is an Axedwarf squad. Just how would I go about changing his color?
I have gone into the raws and found the Captain of the Guard entry, but changing the numbers on his [COLOR:1:0:1] tag seems to do nothing.
Bugbats, all of you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #16450 on: December 07, 2011, 03:49:05 pm »

If a dwarf is standing in a doorway, and the door closes, it dies, right? Or a goblin?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16451 on: December 07, 2011, 03:53:53 pm »

As far as regular doors go, don't dwarves just block it so that it just won't close?  I'll admit to having never tried this
Through pain, I find wisdom.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16452 on: December 07, 2011, 03:54:22 pm »

Doors don't close if something's blocking them. You can have a dead butterfly in the doorway and it'll prop the door open (happened at Boatmurdered and let in a goblin siege).

I've been generating a new world and am wanting to create multiple forts-- but I can't play simultaneous forts in the same world, and I've heard horror stories about "duplicate raws". If I were to c/p my generated world to create new region folders, would it explode my computer?

Seraphaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16453 on: December 07, 2011, 03:58:03 pm »

Hello, I have a slight problem.

My last fort collapsed, 70 man strong to a group of 15 gobbos  :-[. I manged to kill all but one before my last dwarf succumbed.
Now that I reclaimed that same goblin is waiting for me, his giant mace stained a dark red from countless dwarves slained.

I am trying to trap him, wooden cage traps which wont set off no matter how many time I retry it (he has been running over 4 tiles of wooden cages repeatedly).
I then tried to make lines and lines of stone fall traps, but he runs over them (narrow corridor) and laughs the whole way and never set a single one off...

MY QUESTION IS: Is there such a thing as a goblin who becomes so agile he can never set any traps off? Playing in the latest version of dwarf fortress.

Grateful to any reply.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16454 on: December 07, 2011, 04:02:58 pm »

Did other goblins trip those traps already? If they haven't been reset, they won't work.
Pages: 1 ... 1095 1096 [1097] 1098 1099 ... 1178