Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1094 1095 [1096] 1097 1098 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123929 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16425 on: December 04, 2011, 11:15:30 am »

Be advised that the number of embark points is actually an option you can modify in the worldgen parameters.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16426 on: December 04, 2011, 08:17:21 pm »

I cannot get my dwarfs to pick up and butcher animals killed by my military. I have "gather refuse from outside" set with o-r, but anything my military kills just sits there. Is there anything else I need to do?

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16427 on: December 04, 2011, 08:21:35 pm »

I cannot get my dwarfs to pick up and butcher animals killed by my military. I have "gather refuse from outside" set with o-r, but anything my military kills just sits there. Is there anything else I need to do?

I have found similar problems with this, that said I found that setting gather vermin sometimes enables this. If not zone a dumping area and assign the corpse to be dumped onto the refuse pile, and then don't forget to unforbid the corpse once its been lugged back to the refuse pile and that should get the butcher to process it automatically.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16428 on: December 05, 2011, 07:27:52 am »

Are the animals big enough? Smaller animals (rabbit, duck...) can't be butchered.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16429 on: December 05, 2011, 09:01:08 am »

Are the animals big enough? Smaller animals (rabbit, duck...) can't be butchered. Unless they are tamed animals which will then lead to a nice skull to show how cruel you are.
Corrected, also, do you have a stockpile for said corpses of animals?

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16430 on: December 05, 2011, 12:12:42 pm »

Are the animals big enough? Smaller animals (rabbit, duck...) can't be butchered. Unless they are tamed animals which will then lead to a nice skull to show how cruel you are.
Corrected, also, do you have a stockpile for said corpses of animals?

Elk and horses, so they've got to be big enough. I suppose the stockpile might be full, but shouldn't they take it to the butcher's shop first regardless?

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16431 on: December 05, 2011, 12:46:29 pm »

No, hunters take items to the butcher's shop, but the military's job is just killing things to keep dwarves safe. You need stockpile space and idle haulers to get the corpses moved within range of a butcher's shop...butchers won't grab corpses if they're far away from the butcher's shop.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16432 on: December 05, 2011, 01:35:36 pm »

my butcher happily chops up ducks and rabbits, as long as not too many parts are missing.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16433 on: December 05, 2011, 02:19:54 pm »

my butcher happily chops up ducks and rabbits, as long as not too many parts are missing.

Are you getting anything but a skull from them?  If so, you must be using a modded world, since those creatures are always too small to yield anything but a skull in vanilla DF.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Katan Alebread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16434 on: December 05, 2011, 03:22:37 pm »

I read about dwarves become "super dwarvenly tough" from pump operating or mining, but I've never seen this in my games. Does it just take a really long time to get to that level or is it only in older versions of DF? Where would I see if a dwarf has attained high toughness?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16435 on: December 05, 2011, 03:48:16 pm »

I read about dwarves become "super dwarvenly tough" from pump operating or mining, but I've never seen this in my games. Does it just take a really long time to get to that level or is it only in older versions of DF? Where would I see if a dwarf has attained high toughness?
That was probably a reference to 40d, an older version of the game with a completely different structure for how attributes work.  The current version has completely revamped how attribute gains work.  It is still possible to train attributes by extensive skill use, but a lot more complex.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Attributes
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Joost66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16436 on: December 05, 2011, 11:17:08 pm »

Hmm, not exactly a small question, but not worthy of it's own thread. Here it goes...

I have been playing Dwarf Fort for a long time now (Since back in 40d, though almost solely adventure back then) and have slowly been learning how to run a proper fortress. I have never used any mods except a few experiments with Genesis... I've slowly learned shortcuts and keys for everything, and painfully go through all my dwarves every migration to sort them into their new jobs and such. I've never been able to get a fort past 2-3 years, partly because of fun, and partly because I despise micromanagement, and end up drowning them all (or killing them in another suitably horrid way). My question is, do the utilities, such as DF therapist, help minimize the micro-management, or at least make it more streamlined?

TL;DR Do utilities help streamline micro-management?
Hello. Have a nice day.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16437 on: December 05, 2011, 11:25:11 pm »

I've found that Dwarf Therapist really help with job assignments and dfvdig helps as well, but I haven't experimented with anything else. Also, it really helps to use the manager, if you aren't already.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16438 on: December 06, 2011, 03:53:06 am »

I use Dwarf Therapist for job assignments and skill evaluations, and DF Hack for various odd functions-- mainly cleaning contaminants away and confiscating food items and socks that my li'l idiots drop all over the place to block doors open and ruin my framerate.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16439 on: December 06, 2011, 07:26:08 am »

I use the heck out of Dwarf Therapist, and like proxn, I'll use dfhack to work around things I consider game-breaking at present, like the proliferation of claimed items scattered all over my damn fort.

Runesmith is also great for doing science. It takes the fun out of things if you use it too much, but for occasional messing around, it's very useful.
Pages: 1 ... 1094 1095 [1096] 1097 1098 ... 1178