Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1079 1080 [1081] 1082 1083 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124158 times)

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16200 on: November 17, 2011, 08:47:34 pm »

Check if they're owned. If your dwarves have started to wear out their clothing, they'll claim new clothing, usually from dead goblins if you aren't making clothing yourself.

Unfortunately, dwarves aren't smart enough to wear it...mostly because of a workaround for another bug that involved their old clothing lying on the floor rotting (and eating up FPS like crazy for some insane reason). So, instead of wearing their new clothes, dwarves just put their new clothes in chests or dressers in their rooms, if they have rooms with containers to put their clothes in.

The only way to get the owned clothing off the floor is to make personal rooms for the dwarves (build beds, designate a room with (q)->(r), build chests or cabinets, the dwarves will automatically claim a bedroom when they get tired, and eventually put away their owned clothing if they have something to store it in, might need multiple containers to hold it all).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16201 on: November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am »

ok, but why leave it outside? and they all have room with bed-chest-cabinet
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #16202 on: November 18, 2011, 03:25:53 am »

Farm not working? :(

Never mind, can't farm farms deep in the mountains. Abandon :(
That and my carpenter died when a yak broke his foot.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 03:38:10 am by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

stickman_kenobi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16203 on: November 18, 2011, 05:15:13 am »

How do I get Dwarves to movee items that I have said to be dumped.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16204 on: November 18, 2011, 05:26:42 am »

you need to designate a garbage dump for the items to be dumped in. (press I and then mark a zone and then make it a garbage dump)

Now my question: How do i manage without fuel on my map? (I'm quite inexperienced with magma and aren't near deep enough to find any at the moment anyway). All my trees are exhausted at the moment xD

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16205 on: November 18, 2011, 05:27:58 am »

they will in time, if you made a garbage zone.

unless its the same problem as mine, that after a siege they just leave some stuff lying around.
(PS. One of the items is a silver spear, i highly doubt that is clothing/owned)

trees regrow in time. Also, you can try breaching a cavern, it usually has "trees" too. Plus put your request for trees at maximum with your liason. If you are very short on wood, other caravans tend to bring you a lot too. Otherwise you'd need lignite or another stone fuel, or magma
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:30:11 am by Garath »
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16206 on: November 18, 2011, 05:32:54 am »

trees regrow in time. Also, you can try breaching a cavern, it usually has "trees" too. Plus put your request for trees at maximum with your liason. If you are very short on wood, other caravans tend to bring you a lot too. Otherwise you'd need lignite or another stone fuel, or magma

I have heard about a tree farm made underground, made possible by breaching caverns. How would i make one of these tree farms?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16207 on: November 18, 2011, 05:36:52 am »

you need to designate a garbage dump for the items to be dumped in. (press I and then mark a zone and then make it a garbage dump)

Now my question: How do i manage without fuel on my map? (I'm quite inexperienced with magma and aren't near deep enough to find any at the moment anyway). All my trees are exhausted at the moment xD

Trees will grow on soil and any muddied floor on tiles that were even once touched by sunlight. Underground trees will grow on any soil or muddied floor that never was exposed to sunlight, once you breach the caverns (except when the caverns are 100% water). Excavate/build a few z-levels, flood them, drain the water, wait for the trees.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16208 on: November 18, 2011, 06:21:58 am »

if you didnt know it yet: dont make things out of wood except beds and training spears if you want a danger room. rock pots may be heavier, but there is so, so SO much more rock than trees, especially when you can redirect some water and magma and make an obsidian harvester, and clay does fine as infinite stone for many purposes

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16209 on: November 18, 2011, 08:09:15 am »

unless its the same problem as mine, that after a siege they just leave some stuff lying around.

It might be forbidden.  Sometimes weapons get stuck during use.  Go to stocks, weapons, and look to see if it's forbidden, or use (k) to see if it's got the {forbidden} brackets on it.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16210 on: November 18, 2011, 09:25:28 am »

read my original post on this

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16211 on: November 18, 2011, 09:54:49 am »

read my original post on this

I did.  It doesn't say anything about the spear or whether or not the spear is forbidden, so I thought it was worth suggesting. 

I don't give my dwarves chests because only cabinets are used to store clothing.  Sometimes cabinets get full, so I give them 2 each and sometimes 3 if I notice clothes on the floor in their room.  It can take a while for claimed clothing to be picked up and stored; if your dwarves don't have much idle time, then the clothes will be around a while.

Example:  Goblin gets killed.  Momuz says "Hey, that's a neat leather cloak he's got.  I want that."  So he claims it.  But he has to work hauling all the goblinite to storage.  Then he has to drink.  Then eat.  Then party.  Then break.  Then idle...and if he's idle long enough, he says "I'm really bored.  Guess I'll go get that sock and put it in my cabinet."
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16212 on: November 18, 2011, 10:27:12 am »

I'll keep that in mind, but well, in the -first- post on this i did mention everything is claimed. So basically, they're sloppy idiots who dont put their clothes away even if they do have time

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16213 on: November 18, 2011, 11:07:14 am »

Yeah, the spear won't be...you can check whether ownership is the issue with clothing by loo(k)ing at the square it's on, highlighting the piece of clothing with +/-, and hitting enter, if it's owned, it'll say "Owner: Urist McNopants".

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16214 on: November 18, 2011, 01:32:43 pm »

is it wrong to butcher dogs?
Pages: 1 ... 1079 1080 [1081] 1082 1083 ... 1178