Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1072 1073 [1074] 1075 1076 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124269 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16095 on: November 11, 2011, 08:48:16 pm »

In the data/init/announcements.txt file there is a list of all announcements and what the game does in each case. For lava you would want to change
[DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D:P:R] into
[DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D], and then the game won't pause or recenter each time warm stone is found. It will still remove the digging designation however, as I don't think it's to make it not do that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16096 on: November 11, 2011, 10:15:17 pm »

Do natural walls support floors? How about constructed ones?

Yes and yes. You'll need to isolate the part of the floor you're collapsing from (supported) walls and (supported) floors, which both transfer support, which means you have to dig out the stone and channel out the floor around the ring that you want to drop.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16097 on: November 12, 2011, 05:04:32 am »

hey guys, got a coulple of realy basic questions, but the wiki wasnt too clear:
1st- how do i turn ice into drinkable water?
2nd- how do i trap merchants in cages? i imangine i would have to surround my depot with cage traps, create a squad, have the squad attack the vile elves merchants, cancel the attack order before anyone dies, this will propalbly flag the merchents as enemies, and they will flee/charge into my traps.

edit- huh, whilst i was writing this post half my fort died of thirst. that will teach me to start on a map with out a river.

first of, your dorfs prefer alcohol. shame on you for withholding it
ice slowly melts when away from the surface, but not in usable water. You'd need to pump magma to the area to heat the river, od try to find an underground water source
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16098 on: November 12, 2011, 12:35:37 pm »

If your ice melts, you can divert the water into an underground reservoir for the winter, where it won't freeze.

Since it requires magma to melt ice, and you likely won't be getting that near the surface soon, you'll need to get a brewing operation going right away: plump helmet farm + multiple stills + rock pots being made at a craftsdwarf's workshop will at least keep them from dying of thirst. Add in sweet pods or pig tails if the season allows, to give them variety. Keep your plots fairly small, four 3x3 plots will produce much more food/drink than you can handle.

Aim for at least 5 alcohol per dwarf in your stocks. Why? Because 25 alcohol can fit in one barrel once you have master growers, any less than that, and you'll have dwarves not finding anything to drink when they're thirsty, because all of the barrels are occupied. You'll want to have enough barrels for at least a quarter of your dwarves to be drinking at once, since they often come to drink in big waves, which means you need much more alcohol per dwarf than you'd think.

As for caging merchants...I'd recommend a retracting bridge with cage traps built underneath. Falling will stun them, causing them to be caught by the cages despite being friendly. Attacking them might also work, but I'm not sure.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #16099 on: November 12, 2011, 12:42:09 pm »

i have a 10 x 14 farm plop for plump helemts all year round, is that to much? and what should i do with it all!!!
also, what would a good way to ensure things cant get in my fort?
and how do i get a boar and a pig to breed?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:46:22 pm by drago55577 »

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16100 on: November 12, 2011, 06:24:53 pm »

i have a 10 x 14 farm plop for plump helemts all year round, is that to much?

No, it's not too much at all, provided you have about 1500 dwarves living in your fortress.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #16101 on: November 12, 2011, 07:17:13 pm »

i have 34

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16102 on: November 12, 2011, 08:25:28 pm »

i have a 10 x 14 farm plop for plump helemts all year round, is that to much? and what should i do with it all!!!
also, what would a good way to ensure things cant get in my fort?
and how do i get a boar and a pig to breed?

For reference, I used to use a pair of 6x6 plots (one plump helmets, the other mixed crops) and finally decided that was WAAAY too much. Went to two 4x4 plots, and still seem to be doing OK, at least for the loads you're talking about (<40 dwarves)....
« Reply #16103 on: November 12, 2011, 10:00:55 pm »

so long story short;
include lots of alcohol in embark,
melt ice by grilling with larva,
and set up a stillery as soon as possible.

as for the merchants, why i need to perform science!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16104 on: November 12, 2011, 10:21:15 pm »

Trouble with military, so I have a pair of different weapon melee fighters sparring right after they get weapons and shields. Now for my second squad, they would be ranged bowmen. About three in all, now here it is: If I equip them with a bow and a sword, will they spar and use the archery range too?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16105 on: November 13, 2011, 04:13:49 am »

they cant seem to get the idea of carrying 2 types of weapons. No worries though, crossbows function as slightly less powerful hammers in melee

as for farms, in my 100 people fort i use 6 3x3 farm plots and i have way too much food (my legendary +3 farmer may be a factor in that)

once you start growing above ground products (open the roof above a place where you can start a farm, then roof it over, it wont freeze), you may want to tone down the plump helmets a bit, as above ground products seem to be valued better by most races
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16106 on: November 13, 2011, 05:34:44 am »

Quick question how can a person penetrate an aquifer sideways without strip mining the amok damned place. I was thinking of draining the excess water innto a nearby river since for some odd reason it was in a canyon with the aquifer 7z above the river  while using channeling in order to destroy the aquifer layer since it isn't uniformly spread and has pleanty of gaps. A pain in the arse when I search everwhere for these gaps and had to create a rather haphazard fortress . I'm considering going into an anti elf campaign and building an aboveground with wood
Love Boat murder

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16107 on: November 13, 2011, 07:00:06 am »

another question: if i expose an area to sunlight and then roof it over, will it prevent the dorfs from cave adaptation?

nvm, found the answer
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:15:31 am by Garath »

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16108 on: November 13, 2011, 08:00:48 am »

looking through gamelog, it appears that there have been only 3 marriages in 18 years in this fort.

the other married couples were all immigrants.

Any suggestions as to how to get them to marry?

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16109 on: November 13, 2011, 08:15:05 am »

Try very small meeting areas and lots of free time. This may make tantrum spirals more likely though...
Pages: 1 ... 1072 1073 [1074] 1075 1076 ... 1178