Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124261 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16080 on: November 11, 2011, 10:37:25 am »

if i put a ballista behind fortifications, will it still fire fine?

Ballista arrows go right through fortifications as if the fortifications weren't there.

if its elevated, will it still hit ground level troops without problems?

No.  Ballista and catapults can only hit targets on the same Z-level as them.

if I floor over my ground level, will the murky pools still refill as normal? I would guess not, since no rain gets there then

I suspect not, rain only seems to hit tiles with nothing blocking the sky.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16081 on: November 11, 2011, 10:38:38 am »

also, kobold tiefs avoid traps when stealthing

do they also avoid traps when being chased by a room full of wardogs?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16082 on: November 11, 2011, 11:04:37 am »

also, kobold tiefs avoid traps when stealthing

do they also avoid traps when being chased by a room full of wardogs?

Aye, sadly. Kobolds have a racial [TRAPAVOID] token, so if you rely only on traps and let them steal too many things, the ambush they send will be Fun.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16083 on: November 11, 2011, 11:44:06 am »

how good is a kobold vs, say, 15 wardogs?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16084 on: November 11, 2011, 11:55:33 am »

Vanilla dogs fall quite quickly to arrows, and melee weapons. Kobolds can come armed with steel.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16085 on: November 11, 2011, 12:28:44 pm »

am i right in thinking i'm better off carving fortifications later on and first build walls? they have floor on top AND i get better engravers

stonedwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16086 on: November 11, 2011, 01:34:54 pm »

how to get rid off one my dwarfs? i want him to leave my fortress asap

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16087 on: November 11, 2011, 01:46:10 pm »

first off, why?

second, the only option is to kill him/her, or maim in such a way he/she will never be in the way again
not really good options, but really in the spirit of the game

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16088 on: November 11, 2011, 01:54:21 pm »

Create a new military squad with a uniform that has no arms or armor. Assign dwarf to that squad. Check your units list and find the meanest wild animal in the vicinity. Assign the squad to kill it. Your dwarf will likely fail. If not, assign it to kill the next meanest animal, and repeat until the dwarf dies (or becomes and unstoppable killing machine, which might be FUN).

I recently had a tantruming miner that was killing people and wrecking furniture that I wanted to get rid of. I checked the units list for wild animals and saw a bunch of badgers. Perfect. So I went to the military screens and created a new uniform that contained no armor and weapons. Then I created a new squad with that uniform and drafted the miner into it. I was about to assign her to kill the badgers when I noticed that they were on the far side of a river that had no bridge. I designated floors to be built over the river to provide access, but right after I designated the floors, the stupid miner when melancholy on me. So I didn't get the satisfaction of sending her to kill a conga line of badgers with her bare hands, at least she wouldn't throw any more tantrums.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16089 on: November 11, 2011, 02:15:22 pm »

so yeah, you cant send someone away, just have him/her die in interesting ways

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16090 on: November 11, 2011, 04:59:37 pm »

am i right in thinking i'm better off carving fortifications later on and first build walls? they have floor on top AND i get better engravers

Yup, it's best. Also, with this way, you won't have blocks/stones jammed in the fortifications if you deconstruct something above.
Discovering you can build a wall, and then carve it, was a facepalm moment for me. Would have save quite a few dwarven lives, too! (Fortifications don't give support. I found that out the hard way, with 8 deconstructors, flying into my moat...)
« Reply #16091 on: November 11, 2011, 05:17:31 pm »

hey guys, got a coulple of realy basic questions, but the wiki wasnt too clear:
1st- how do i turn ice into drinkable water?
2nd- how do i trap merchants in cages? i imangine i would have to surround my depot with cage traps, create a squad, have the squad attack the vile elves merchants, cancel the attack order before anyone dies, this will propalbly flag the merchents as enemies, and they will flee/charge into my traps.

edit- huh, whilst i was writing this post half my fort died of thirst. that will teach me to start on a map with out a river.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:21:45 pm by the one and only joseph »

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16092 on: November 11, 2011, 05:53:15 pm »

OK, trying to construct a magma piston - and I noted that instead of channelling all the floors, the suggestion was to just mine them out, and then drop a constructed floor from the top to knock out all the natural floors all the way down.

I've been trying to figure out how to drop a floor - channelled the top ring around the piston, built a floor over it, lined it to the roof with a support, linked the support to a lever, cut the floor so the ring (I thought) was only supported by the support, then pulled the lever...

...and nothing happens. Do natural walls support floors? How about constructed ones? Am I on the right track, or is there an easier way to do this?

tl, dr - how do I purposely collapse a constructed floor?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:57:33 pm by jeffreyac »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16093 on: November 11, 2011, 06:49:48 pm »

Create a new military squad with a uniform that ...

Needs more magma!

Another way is to make the dwarf a miner (optionally using burrows to exclude all other miners), and assign him to channel something that will cause him to fall to his death, or be crushed under a cave-in.

If you aren't in a hurry, the simplest way is to lock him into a room with no food or booze.  A faster variant of that would be to make sure he has no head protection, and lock him in a danger room, and turn it on.  Blunt training spears will pierce an unprotected dwarven skull like a steel cleaver through a kitten.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:52:49 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Watwar5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16094 on: November 11, 2011, 08:43:38 pm »

Can I turn off the pauses for warm stone found?
This is like the crash course for all - if you can dodge a massive ball of plasma, you can dodge an arrow.
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 1178