Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124335 times)

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16020 on: November 07, 2011, 12:44:20 pm »

Can the eerie glowing pit tiles from DF2010 be used for permanent magma-safe item disposal purposes?

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16021 on: November 07, 2011, 04:02:16 pm »

Yes.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16022 on: November 07, 2011, 04:08:27 pm »

I find it interesting that the bugged tiles are all contiguous, as if whatever happened to cause them occurred as some creature was traveling around that corner.  I have no idea what could have caused it.  Definitely a bug, and it would be very useful to work out how to reproduce it.

a half-height burrowing creature that sealed the cavern behind it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16023 on: November 07, 2011, 06:26:54 pm »

Question: do trapavoid creatures, such as kobolds, titans, FBs, clowns, activate pressure plates they step on? And do [FLIER]s? They can't fly over them in my setup, but if they have 0 weight, it still can cause problems.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16024 on: November 07, 2011, 06:49:37 pm »

I have about 15 newly-made stockpiles, and I have 27 idlers standing around doing nothing. Why is this? There's a few just standing around where they entered too, they've made no attempt to even come into the fortress. They're going to get devoured by Werewolves sooner or later. Yes, all the idlers have all hauling options turned on. And yes, I actually have the supplies that are designated for storing. WHAT DO.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:02:25 pm by vonFaust »
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16025 on: November 07, 2011, 07:33:38 pm »

Hidden objects cluttering the stockpile? Or can those migrants get in your fort at all? Maybe someone removed a ramp they shouldn't have...
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16026 on: November 07, 2011, 10:45:18 pm »

Hidden objects cluttering the stockpile?

That's probably it, I didn't think of that at all. Now that I think of it, the entire z level I dug out had a rock in every square. Whoops. Lemme go peep it out real quick.

EDIT

Yep, you were completely right. Thank you sir.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 11:15:50 pm by vonFaust »
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16027 on: November 08, 2011, 03:24:59 am »

Tirion - Trapavoid creatures won't trigger pressure plates. I don't know about flying creatures though, sorry.

A question of my own (adventure mode related): I can't seem to find pre-gen dwarven structures anywhere. I followed the map, I got the "***" at the top left that ought to indicate that I found it, but there's nothing there. No stairs, no buildings, nothing. Do underground dwarven cities exist at all? I know human villages do.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16028 on: November 08, 2011, 03:53:14 am »

A question of my own (adventure mode related): I can't seem to find pre-gen dwarven structures anywhere. I followed the map, I got the "***" at the top left that ought to indicate that I found it, but there's nothing there. No stairs, no buildings, nothing. Do underground dwarven cities exist at all? I know human villages do.

Without modding, even if you play a dwarf you start in a human town. This seems to indicate that dwarven sites don't show up at all, but I could be mistaken since I modded my game once I noticed this. Now my dwarves live in towns similar to the human ones. An important bonus for any dwarf player is that they now build shops so you can buy or steal armor.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16029 on: November 08, 2011, 04:08:09 am »

Without modding, even if you play a dwarf you start in a human town. This seems to indicate that dwarven sites don't show up at all, but I could be mistaken since I modded my game once I noticed this. Now my dwarves live in towns similar to the human ones. An important bonus for any dwarf player is that they now build shops so you can buy or steal armor.

All Dwarven Mountain Forts, Goblin Dark Forts, Elven Forest Retreats are not visitable in the current version. Welcome to the human lands by friends.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16030 on: November 08, 2011, 09:03:04 am »

in my current fort I have encountered plentiful supplies of Galena and sphalerite (lead/silver and zinc). Do I actually have a chance to find useful ores in near those layers as well? I used to always strike magnetite or at least the copper/silver mix. I'm having to import massive amounts of weapons and armor! and on top of that, there are no human caravans anywhere!

I started over in a new world and.... WOW
hematite, obsidian (lots of it), cobaltite, galena, kimberlite (I think my fort will be a bit blue-ish)

And NO, completely NO immigrants... a wave of 3 and one of 2. How am i going to produce enough and excavate enough space! oh well, slow start
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:46:32 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16031 on: November 08, 2011, 02:28:11 pm »

I have about 15 newly-made stockpiles, and I have 27 idlers standing around doing nothing. Why is this? There's a few just standing around where they entered too, they've made no attempt to even come into the fortress. They're going to get devoured by Werewolves sooner or later. Yes, all the idlers have all hauling options turned on. And yes, I actually have the supplies that are designated for storing. WHAT DO.

Regarding the migrants who just stop at the edge of the map, do you have a meeting zone set up? If so, can they get to it? Migrants always head to a meeting zone when they arrive and if you don't have one (or they can't reach one), they get confused and just stand around.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

desudesudesu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16032 on: November 08, 2011, 02:45:53 pm »

Oh hai.

Whats this? It looks like river, this lightblue wawes MOVES, but I can walk and stand on them. Under them there is a river with water 7/7. And more, I can actually make channels! Yes, in brook.
Btw, my cart spawned on it. I was like "YOU MAD DWORFS", I really thought they embarked on water.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16033 on: November 08, 2011, 02:58:36 pm »

It's a brook.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Miner49

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16034 on: November 08, 2011, 03:34:57 pm »

I just ran into a very big problem in my fort that I have never run into in the past 12:

My dwarves are cooking the plump helmets I grow, and therefore destroying the spawns. I only realized that after they had also done it to most of my other plant spawns. How can I stop them from doing this? It's going to get VERY problematic soon, and I'd like to fix it before I get more spawns from a caravan and lose those too.
Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 1178