Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124361 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16005 on: November 06, 2011, 01:05:26 pm »

Well, the last supposed workaround I tested didn't do shit
The one I'm talking about is Karakzon's, here. The more I reread the topic the less it makes sense. Maybe there's something else I'm missing.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16006 on: November 06, 2011, 02:14:30 pm »

I assigned my guy one specific pick earlier today and he got rid of it when he went to mine something. So I'm supposed to assign two picks now? And the voodoo about forbidding and unforbidding gear or needing "active trainers" doesn't sound too promising; neither does the inclusion of urban legends like named weapons increasing their wielder's accuracy.

EDIT: I think I understood now that this workaround might boil down to leaving squads permanently active and giving them a one soldier minimum to follow orders. This would put at least one miner/woodcutter out of the picture when it comes to doing their actual jobs at any given time, but I guess that's an acceptable price to pay for finally getting the fucks to wear uniforms. Now I have to test this.

UPDATE: The squad completed one short mining designation after which they immediately went to store their uniforms in bins. So much for that.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:54:38 pm by assimilateur »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16007 on: November 06, 2011, 04:59:22 pm »

I usually have quite a few useless skilled dwarfs after a while who get to permanent militairy duty after a while. The barracks are quite nice and after some redesigning, everyone comming in has to pass the elites now
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16008 on: November 06, 2011, 06:29:29 pm »

How does the game track responsibility? If someone dies because a lever was pulled, does anyone recognise the lever-puller as the killer? Specifically, will there be a loyalty cascade if a dwarven caravan, or diplomat, or just one of my Urists happens to just wander on my spiky road of doom, while it's activated?

Also, will other entities declare war if they lose caravan after caravan to menacing spikes?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16009 on: November 06, 2011, 06:35:45 pm »

How does the game track responsibility? If someone dies because a lever was pulled, does anyone recognise the lever-puller as the killer? Specifically, will there be a loyalty cascade if a dwarven caravan, or diplomat, or just one of my Urists happens to just wander on my spiky road of doom, while it's activated?

Also, will other entities declare war if they lose caravan after caravan to menacing spikes?

A loyalty cascade can only happen if a dwarf directly attacks another dwarf in cold blood.  Pulling a lever doesn't count - there's no tracking of cause and effect in lever-pulling at all as far as responsibility, loyalty cascades, or kill lists.  Tantrums to count for kill lists, but not for causing loyalty cascades.

However, entities do hold you responsible for any death or loss of property that happens on your map.  If a diplomat is killed or a trade caravan destroyed by a goblin ambush or cave-in or freak magma flood, your fortress is considered responsible, no different than if you had ordered your soldiers to kills them.  You just can't get a loyalty cascade from anything other than a direct kill order.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16010 on: November 06, 2011, 07:06:50 pm »

I assigned my guy one specific pick earlier today and he got rid of it when he went to mine something.

You cannot assign specific equipment for civilian duties.  A miner, woodcutter or hunter will simply use whatever equipment is available after the military have all claimed theirs.

When you assign a pick to a dwarf, I assume you mean through the military screen.  This is an assignment to the dwarf's position in a military squad; as such, it has no bearing on his civilian duties.  The pick he's been issued as a weapon for his military duties cannot be used in his civilian duties.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16011 on: November 07, 2011, 02:20:12 am »

The pick he's been issued as a weapon for his military duties cannot be used in his civilian duties.

Based on what I've seen that isn't surprising. All the more puzzling how some people supposedly worked around this bug, or think they did.

I'm seriously getting the impression that they didn't even thoroughly test how successful they were. When I made a miner squad and left it active/training with a minimum of one soldier, the ones that didn't follow the training order initially kept their equipment. They even mined a single designation wearing armor, but as soon as they were finished, they started getting rid of everything and eventually fetched new picks.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16012 on: November 07, 2011, 09:22:06 am »

Switched to the newest version... my tamed animals (Elephants) starve insanly quickly. They can move around freely and there is more then enough food around - how could I stop that?

On a related note: I have free refuse & corpse Stockpiles, as well as buchterworks shops with "Slaughter a dead animal" (and free worker-dwarfs) - yet the corpses from the elephants are completly ignored and stink up everything.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16013 on: November 07, 2011, 09:26:16 am »

Elephants (and rhinos, IIRC) cannot eat fast enough to keep themselves from starving in this version.  If tame animals die of anything other than being slaughtered, they cannot be butchered.

My question:
I was just scrolling through my fortress the other day, when I noticed that one of the two doors leading to my hospital appeared to be missing.  I then realized that it was actually still there, but it was stuck open.  Nothing appears to be blocking the door (I have checked for hidden stuff, too), so I ordered it deconstructed.  Then, when another dwarf was putting a replacement door in place, I noticed something odd: he was lying down to do it, as if there were another creature standing in the way.  After watching the area for a while, I noticed that there were entire stretches of tiles where my dwarves would not stand up, again as if another creature was standing there.

This picture shows the paths I'm talking about.  The tiles marked with the yellow 'L's are those tiles in which my dwarves cannot stand up.  They also cannot build constructed walls, because they get the 'creature occupying site' message.
Does anyone know what might be causing this?  I haven't used any memory hacks or anything.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:28:31 am by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16014 on: November 07, 2011, 10:08:53 am »

Elephants (and rhinos, IIRC) cannot eat fast enough to keep themselves from starving in this version.  If tame animals die of anything other than being slaughtered, they cannot be butchered.
The solution to this is to increase the value in their [GRAZER:XX] tag to a more sustainable number.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16015 on: November 07, 2011, 10:53:34 am »

I've been using 50 as the elephant value. It's just about workable, although they seem to need far, far more grazing area than giraffes, which have a value of 60 and which I've kept without problems for years (sharing space with warthogs and goats / sheep too). Perhaps they really need the extra grazing tiles provided by the outdoor enclosure, which doesn't grow shrubs or trees where the space underneath is hollowed out. Or maybe the grazer value, like the body size tag, is only a base figure modified by the individual animal's size. I have been making an effort to keep only elephants that are 5000 weight or above.

Right now they're shuttling between meeting zones in the caverns and chewing the whole thing bare. It's a little puzzling.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16016 on: November 07, 2011, 11:06:20 am »

Well needing a much larger pasture isn't that crazy of an idea. After all if they are getting 83% as much food from each time they eat they are going to need to eat 20% more then giraffes do in order to stay alive. Combine that with the fact that the average giraffe suggested pasture size is an 18x18 and you end up with the elephant needing a 20x20 pasture for an average of around another 65 tiles of grazing pasture needed. Even small differences in grazing values result in large changes to grazing room needed when the amounts of grazing room are that large.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16017 on: November 07, 2011, 11:22:42 am »

My question:
I was just scrolling through my fortress the other day, when I noticed that one of the two doors leading to my hospital appeared to be missing.  I then realized that it was actually still there, but it was stuck open.  Nothing appears to be blocking the door (I have checked for hidden stuff, too), so I ordered it deconstructed.  Then, when another dwarf was putting a replacement door in place, I noticed something odd: he was lying down to do it, as if there were another creature standing in the way.  After watching the area for a while, I noticed that there were entire stretches of tiles where my dwarves would not stand up, again as if another creature was standing there.

This picture shows the paths I'm talking about.  The tiles marked with the yellow 'L's are those tiles in which my dwarves cannot stand up.  They also cannot build constructed walls, because they get the 'creature occupying site' message.
Does anyone know what might be causing this?  I haven't used any memory hacks or anything.
A new bug?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16018 on: November 07, 2011, 12:29:09 pm »

I can't be sure, but I have the feeling that it's related to the bug where kidnapped children can still appear in Stonesense.  I'm running DF on a Mac, though, so I can't use Stonesense to test this.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16019 on: November 07, 2011, 12:31:06 pm »

I find it interesting that the bugged tiles are all contiguous, as if whatever happened to cause them occurred as some creature was traveling around that corner.  I have no idea what could have caused it.  Definitely a bug, and it would be very useful to work out how to reproduce it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 1178