Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124692 times)

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15720 on: October 25, 2011, 07:19:14 am »

And war animals will follow their trainer. So if said trainer has trained 75 wardogs, and then goes in a 3x3 room, things may get interesting real soon.  ;)

Ischenous

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15721 on: October 25, 2011, 08:23:39 am »

That explains why he keeps getting bitten...

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15722 on: October 25, 2011, 08:41:42 am »

I'm having a bit of grief with the complexity of the game. so i have 3 questions:

How do i deal with animals? All mine die / do nothing ever. i put some on a pasture and they took slightly longer to die last game, it felt good.

How do i start messing with pumps and fun right? i want to try pumping water into a big reservoir underground so i can not have all of my dwarves die of thirst again (despite having adequate dwarven wine, they all died. i made a thread about it and no one can think of the reason~). Later on magma for lulz

How should i effectively manage labour? i've been using dwarf therapist but im not very good and just have general jobs like 'craftsman' - a dwarf with stonecrafting, mason, stone detailing etc activated, who does lotsa work like that, and 'cooking staff' - all purpose brewers and farmers (though i dont really cook food, im too noob to go into all of that, i just plump helmet spam~)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #15723 on: October 25, 2011, 08:57:37 am »

I'm having a bit of grief with the complexity of the game. so i have 3 questions:

1. How do i deal with animals? All mine die / do nothing ever. i put some on a pasture and they took slightly longer to die last game, it felt good.

2. How do i start messing with pumps and fun right? i want to try pumping water into a big reservoir underground so i can not have all of my dwarves die of thirst again (despite having adequate dwarven wine, they all died. i made a thread about it and no one can think of the reason~). Later on magma for lulz

3. How should i effectively manage labour? i've been using dwarf therapist but im not very good and just have general jobs like 'craftsman' - a dwarf with stonecrafting, mason, stone detailing etc activated, who does lotsa work like that, and 'cooking staff' - all purpose brewers and farmers (though i dont really cook food, im too noob to go into all of that, i just plump helmet spam~)

1. Those that die must be grazers/herbivorous. You need to either be sure that you are in a biome that has topsoil grass (non-mountainous/desert/tundra/glacier) that can regrow or breach the caverns where there is always some forage for them.

2. You need to make a corkscrew (carpenter's workshop, easiest place to make one) and pipe section + mechanisms and construct a pump screw. I forgot how to link the wiki so could anyone help here?

Also, always get into the farming industry by late autumn at most, get extra drinks in the starting build and brew those plants like there was no tomorrow, you need drink more than food as drink gets consumed faster.

3. Maybe try assigning labors to every migrant as he/she enters the map? I can handle a full 200 fortress without therapist but in terms of a big fort, there will be idlers. So here's a tip, for those who will do important work (farming[growers], masonry, carpentry...) give those skills to the starting seven or assign then to a dwarf that has hauling labors off. That will concentrate their focus and keep them busy as those jobs take up most of the time and are crucial to a fort's survival. Make some dwarves (those that are peasants or have neigh useless jobs like lye makers/soapers [used once in a blue moon]) do full hauling and nothing else, or put them in the military  :D

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #15724 on: October 25, 2011, 09:06:26 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can someone give me a saved game in a mountain (with pheobus graphics  unless it doesnt affect anything) or forest with a small fort with water and farms, my people die of hunger or thirst every saved game and i have had about 5000 so i quit DF temporarily.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15725 on: October 25, 2011, 09:07:28 am »

i tried to find a good use for my useless migrants, and i made an arena and bought a tamed bear off the elven traders. i threw 3 migrants in a locked room with the caged bear, used a lever to release the bear and nothing happened after it was released. i slightly expected this, so i drafted them into the military and tried to order them to kill the bear, but it wasn't an option for some reason.

:(

and to point 1, they are on grass, but the grass goes red and then they die~ do i need a bigger area?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15726 on: October 25, 2011, 09:14:26 am »

Some of the largest animals, elephants for example, have raws that make their hunger-stat raise harder then they're capable to graze and lower it. They won't survive unless you raise their  [GRAZER] tag in the raws to something above 20. Cows have [GRAZER:100], for example.

You can see more animals and their grazing stats here, so you can check on the kinds of animals you were loosing.
Love, scriver~

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15727 on: October 25, 2011, 09:18:13 am »

Some of the largest animals, elephants for example, have raws that make their hunger-stat raise harder then they're capable to graze and lower it. They won't survive unless you raise their  [GRAZER] tag in the raws to something above 20. Cows have [GRAZER:100], for example.

You can see more animals and their grazing stats here, so you can check on the kinds of animals you were loosing.

ahhh many thanks, now i know why those yaks died. its a shame i cant have elephants, and i cant tame dragons and stuff without messing with the raws. Then again i'd only need a tame dragon if i wanted to breed them and the babies take too long to grow, oh well~

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15728 on: October 25, 2011, 10:17:59 am »

and to point 1, they are on grass, but the grass goes red and then they die~ do i need a bigger area?

Yup! use 'k' to loo'k' at the "red grass", and you'll see it's bare soil. Your animals ate and trampled all the grass, then starved. You need a bigger pasture, or move them to new pastures from time to time.

Yaks, horses, etc... are VERY voracious. They can be kept alive, but need a big pasture. Smaller beasts (goats, sheeps) are more sustainable

IMPORTANT : Grass don't grow back in mountains, and crops can't be planted either. Ever. So don't pasture animals in mountain zones, they'll destroy it (mountain is easy to spot : It will be a zone where no bush nor tree grows). Make your pastures and fields in the forest/plain/marsh/hill/etc... part of the map, not on the bare one.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15729 on: October 25, 2011, 11:25:27 am »

ahhh many thanks, now i know why those yaks died. its a shame i cant have elephants, and i cant tame dragons and stuff without messing with the raws. Then again i'd only need a tame dragon if i wanted to breed them and the babies take too long to grow, oh well~
Dragons don't eat grass, though, so this issue won't affect them.

...Just making sure that isn't what you thought.
Love, scriver~

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15730 on: October 25, 2011, 02:32:56 pm »

Smaller beasts (goats, sheeps) are more sustainable.
They also don't clog up your workshops. It takes ten times longer to process yak parts than it does sheep or goat parts, and the return is nowhere near that. Giraffes, if you can get them, aren't too bad as your resident lawnmowers. They're just about big enough to make the processing time worth it, and they have the rare 5x value modifier.

Giant big cats are also a good source of large stacks with a high value multiplier, and don't need feeding right now.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15731 on: October 25, 2011, 03:02:54 pm »

and don't need feeding right now.

I can feel some MASSIVE amounts of fun coming when they will, though  :P

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15732 on: October 25, 2011, 03:36:52 pm »

1) I have tons of lead and electrum, what's the best use for these materials?
2) Is possible that a tanner workshop become cluttered when tanning a single horse (or bull) skin?
3) The dwarven caravan brought me a bumblebee venom barrel. It's useful for something? Maybe to poison swords?
4) Every time a coffin is constructed, I have to set "use for burial"->yes, it is possible to set this by default like [COFFIN_NO_PETS_DEFAULT:YES] in d_init file?
1) get rid of the lead, dump it in magma. Or make lead flooring or have your metalcrafter practice with lead crafts. Electrum, make furniture, crafts and workshops out of it.
2) Not that I know of.
3) It's useless junk unless you mod the venom to be a cooking ingredient. Or try dropping the barrel through a deconstruct-floor cave-in onto the goblin squads.
4) Yes, you have to set use-yes on them. It's so that random pets don't get immediately buried in the elite tomb-room you built and engraved.

Sorry to resurrect this post, but I didn't want to re-ask a question if it's already been answered...How do you set "use-yes" coffins?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15733 on: October 25, 2011, 03:46:20 pm »

The answer to that question was simply confirmation that every time you want to use a coffin you have to enable it for burial, not some snazzy workaround that makes it so you don't have to.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15734 on: October 25, 2011, 03:48:19 pm »

Oh. D'aww. Thanks for the elaboration, although it is disappointing to know I'll have to enable the rest of my grave-chamber by hand. I guess it's time to learn how to program macros.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.
Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 1178