Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1046 1047 [1048] 1049 1050 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124730 times)

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15705 on: October 24, 2011, 10:37:48 am »

Go into the d_init file and set [POPULATION_CAP:X] to 0. That should stop all migrants after the first two waves unless your population dips down below 10 dwarves. I don't think this will stop babies from being born, but it might.

If i do that does it also work on already started forts?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15706 on: October 24, 2011, 10:48:01 am »

It should but you might still get a few migrant waves that have already "left" the civilization's mountainhome but haven't actually "arrived" at your fort yet due to travel time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #15707 on: October 24, 2011, 12:39:09 pm »

Does the dungeon master show up or is this glitch still around?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15708 on: October 24, 2011, 12:51:30 pm »

Still the same: no dungeon master shows up, and none can be appointed.

Workaround is to change all instances of [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] once you have a baron, in the raws in your fortress save folder.

Frying Doby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15709 on: October 24, 2011, 02:09:57 pm »

Hi.

Can I tame cage-captured goblin mounts like Rutherer,Cave-Crocodiles and Cave Crawlers at the Kennels without them escaping and slaughtering the Animal-Trainer?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15710 on: October 24, 2011, 02:18:22 pm »

Can I tame cage-captured goblin mounts like Rutherer,Cave-Crocodiles and Cave Crawlers at the Kennels without them escaping and slaughtering the Animal-Trainer?

Although the Kennels building is where you set the Tame Animal job to be done, taming actually doesn't require the animal to be taken to the building.  The Animal Trainer does the job at the cage the animal is in at the time.  It is not required to bring the animal to the Kennel to tame it, and the Animal Trainer is in no danger.

However, animals which arrived as part of a siege will always be hostile.  You can tame them, and they'll show up as tame on the units list, but the moment you let them out of the cage they'll start killing dwarves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Frying Doby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15711 on: October 24, 2011, 02:40:37 pm »

However, animals which arrived as part of a siege will always be hostile.  You can tame them, and they'll show up as tame on the units list, but the moment you let them out of the cage they'll start killing dwarves.

Oh. Thanks a lot for that quick answer. And here I thought I could get myself an army of dozens of deadly beasts.
Hmm, now what I do with them....I kinda dont want to use Jabberes to train my recruits.

Again thanks.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15712 on: October 24, 2011, 05:53:43 pm »

One of the more elegant approaches is to drop the hostile animals into a pit, and then drop the goblins (or whatever is invading you) into the same pit.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15713 on: October 24, 2011, 05:55:19 pm »

If a dwarf cancels a smelting order created by a manager, does it count that order as completed, or will it keep rescheduling until the ore has been smelted?
*insert witty signature here*

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15714 on: October 24, 2011, 06:33:55 pm »

If a dwarf cancels a smelting order created by a manager, does it count that order as completed, or will it keep rescheduling until the ore has been smelted?

It'll keep re-scheduling.

You've got three options:

1) Suspend all the smelting jobs. This will mean dwarfs won't try to do the job (it's suspended), and the manager won't create new jobs.

2) Cancel the order.This means your manager gets no experience for the jobs you've actually done, but if you've got no easy source of ore and you can;t clog up your smelters with suspended jobs it may be your only alternative.

3) Live with cancellation spam.

Nick

GeorgiaPeanuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15715 on: October 24, 2011, 06:42:51 pm »

I keep reading on the MagmaWiki bout Kobolds but I never once seen one yet try to steal my stuff yet I see tons of snatchers. I have a very well defended entrance so I doubt they are getting my stuff out undetected. What gives?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15716 on: October 24, 2011, 07:11:05 pm »

I keep reading on the MagmaWiki bout Kobolds but I never once seen one yet try to steal my stuff yet I see tons of snatchers. I have a very well defended entrance so I doubt they are getting my stuff out undetected. What gives?

In the current version of the game, without modding, every kobold in the world starves by the end of year 4 of the world history.  It's very rare that a kobold civilization manages to survive long enough to come and steal from your fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15717 on: October 24, 2011, 08:00:47 pm »

And the way to mod them is to add [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] to their entry in the creature_standard file.

Ischenous

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15718 on: October 25, 2011, 05:14:47 am »

I had a load of dogs running round and so I thought why not turn them into war dogs. So I know have plenty of them but now they suddenly have decided attacking everything in sight needs to be bitten which while not actually causing trouble, it's really annoying and I can't see why. It's not like I have them trapped in a room together.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15719 on: October 25, 2011, 05:25:24 am »

I had a load of dogs running round and so I thought why not turn them into war dogs. So I know have plenty of them but now they suddenly have decided attacking everything in sight needs to be bitten which while not actually causing trouble, it's really annoying and I can't see why. It's not like I have them trapped in a room together.
Well, are they hanging around together anyway? Tame animals like to hang around meeting zones with your dwarves, and if you have a lot of idlers or just small rooms they tend to get cramped. Tamimals will attack people then regardless of whether they are free to seek less crowded areas or not.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 1046 1047 [1048] 1049 1050 ... 1178