Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1043 1044 [1045] 1046 1047 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124780 times)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15660 on: October 20, 2011, 10:39:54 pm »

Right now I'm getting spammed by "A masterwork of Armorer Urist McDorf's was lost" because I'm melting down all the copper caps he made while in training. Will this piss him off the way lost artifacts piss off their creator?
The magnitude of a lost masterwork thought depends on how many masterworks the creator has made. If they lose the one and only MW they've ever made, they take a -1000 penalty to their mood (Quite Content is 100, Ecstatic is 200+), basically making anyone instantly miserable. If they've made 2 masterworks, they take -500, if 4 -250, and so on. If (as is likely) your legendary armorer has made dozens of masterworks, the magnitude of each thought will be minor, but you might want to monitor his mood and stop melting masterworks if he gets too low, at least until the bad thoughts clear out.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15661 on: October 21, 2011, 12:55:23 am »

Someone's pet poult (baby turkey) apparently received some sort of stigmata, because it randomly bled to death. No combat reports, nothing in gamelog.txt about it beyond "Goden UgoshŠrith. Poult has bled to death", no magma or traps sitting around. Most that could have happened is it randomly got hit by a speardwarf practicing, without any combat log coming up. Any idea what happened here?

Aren't they too crowded somewhere? Animals start fights then... mabye you're too spammed with reports so you missed it.

EDIT: question: does turning temperature off affect fights involving fire during worldgen?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:45:42 am by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15662 on: October 21, 2011, 01:21:17 pm »

Errr... how do I do a water reservoir to melt the ice?
Or a better question: How do I melt a frozen brook and a "pool"?
Breached the second layer full of fun but without a single drop of water :(
Im in a freezing biome...

Searched the wiki but couldnt find any page that could explain that to me...

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15663 on: October 21, 2011, 01:49:26 pm »

Errr... how do I do a water reservoir to melt the ice?
Or a better question: How do I melt a frozen brook and a "pool"?
Breached the second layer full of fun but without a single drop of water :(
Im in a freezing biome...

Well, first I would pierce that third cavern layer and hope for water there, because the alternative is going to be a lot more work.

... as I understand it (never having done it myself), if you can make magma flow directly under the frozen water, it should melt the water.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15664 on: October 21, 2011, 04:30:49 pm »

The magnitude of a lost masterwork thought depends on how many masterworks the creator has made. If they lose the one and only MW they've ever made, they take a -1000 penalty to their mood (Quite Content is 100, Ecstatic is 200+), basically making anyone instantly miserable. If they've made 2 masterworks, they take -500, if 4 -250, and so on. If (as is likely) your legendary armorer has made dozens of masterworks, the magnitude of each thought will be minor, but you might want to monitor his mood and stop melting masterworks if he gets too low, at least until the bad thoughts clear out.

I have a question related to this: I had a woodcrafter experience artistic defacement during a siege once.  He went miserable and threw a tantrum on a guard who proceeded to bash him dead with his shield.

Now, the funny thing is that I can't figure out what he might have lost.  He was a relatively fresh immigrant, and there were no wooden anythings outside for the siegers to get to, even if they were building destroyers or something of the sort.  I've read that masterwork bone bolts that leave the map by being stuck in a body can cause this, does the same apply for wooden bolts, or did something else happen?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15665 on: October 21, 2011, 04:34:24 pm »

Wooden bolts matter and are made by woodcrafters.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15666 on: October 21, 2011, 04:52:26 pm »

Wooden bolts matter and are made by woodcrafters.

Alright, so I take it then that any masterwork bolt that bets embedded in some poor soul who then staggers off the map is going to tick off whoever made it?

Guess I'd best make sure people don't wander away with bolts stuck in them, or make more masterwork bolts if it really does cut down on the impact for each one lost.  Time to get cranking...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15667 on: October 21, 2011, 05:14:41 pm »

Ice can be melted by having flowing magma underneath it, but the end tiles of the map can't have magma under them without using fortifications and allowing magma to flow off the map. If you design the system so that magma can rapidly be moved in and out of it, you can get infinite water from a finite amount of magma by moving the magma away when the thawed brook is part-drained. This causes the brook to freeze back into its original icy state, which means another potential seven units of water per thawed tile. In theory anyway.

The magma can be skipped entirely but only if the brook starts in the mountains. You can dig underneath and put fortifications in the stone at the end of the map, giving the 'water source' tiles some subterranean space to flow to.

(Quite Content is 100, Ecstatic is 200+)
Content is 126 or 127+, and Ecstatic is 151+.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15668 on: October 21, 2011, 08:01:32 pm »

EDIT: question: does turning temperature off affect fights involving fire during worldgen?

Though I lack any hard evidence, Toady at one time mentioned that worldgen battles just come down to a bunch of simple dice rolls, and if somebody gets a roll that results in a wound it just looks at creature tags to figure out what kind of injury to apply to the loser.

So I don't think temperature matters for worldgen fights.  If a creature has firebreath it probably just cheats and directly applies a fire damage wound as long as the target isn't fire immune, skipping most of the real combat system's temperature checks and attack calculations and other such things in the interests of a worldgen that finishes in under a day.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15669 on: October 22, 2011, 12:37:50 am »

Which material is best for clothing: leather, wool, or plant fiber?  "Best" meaning "most protective".

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15670 on: October 22, 2011, 09:07:16 am »

I was going to say that leather was better against cutting and cloth and wool is better against bludgeoning but looking at the raws...

It seems like leather is equal to wool and cloth in bludgeoning, and leather([SHEAR_YIELD:25000) is significantly WORSE than cloth([SHEAR_YIELD:600000]) and wool([SHEAR_YIELD:60000]) in cutting.  Silk([SHEAR_YIELD:1150000]) of course is superior to all.

Odd because it goes against what I seemed to have experienced.  Can anybody confirm?  I'm a bit sketchy on what materiel stats are used and which are still just placeholders.

EDIT: As a tentative answer Plant fiber seems most protective of those mentioned.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:11:15 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Relapse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15671 on: October 22, 2011, 03:34:50 pm »

When I build up/down stairs it doesn't expose the area one z layer up as it does one z layer down. Because of this I can't dig up from the layer below. Is this normal? Is there another way to do this?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15672 on: October 22, 2011, 03:44:57 pm »

It's normal, and the reason you shouldn't dig up when there's the possibility of digging into a tile containing magma or water.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Relapse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15673 on: October 22, 2011, 03:49:33 pm »

I just started this fortress and was wanting to have my dining room be one floor up from the food production area, I would bet money on their not being magma. Is there a way to dig up?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15674 on: October 22, 2011, 04:05:46 pm »

Build up stairs.  Designate down or up/down stairs on that spot one Z-level up.  You should have no problem doing this.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 1043 1044 [1045] 1046 1047 ... 1178