Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1030 1031 [1032] 1033 1034 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125223 times)

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15465 on: October 08, 2011, 05:42:42 pm »

The one thing to remember when separating the fort that much is to hotkey the main areas of the fort.

Otherwise, it'll take a week to move your view from magma level to ground level, if you do it without pausing.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15466 on: October 08, 2011, 08:23:17 pm »

That applies even if you have a shallow map. Each level of my fortress fits on the screen and there are only 18 levels in use, but hotkeys are still far more convenient than moving the view up and down. Mostly it's because DF's default up/down keys are unwieldy and I'm not yet in the habit of using the ones I added.

Unfortunately you only get 16 hotkeys, and half of them are unwieldy. They're much easier to remap than the up/down keys though.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15467 on: October 08, 2011, 09:19:31 pm »

Is it really worth it to move all of my operations/living quarters 60 or so z levels down to the magma?  I know the benefits of not worrying about fuel, but it seems like a really deep place to dig, in which I plan to at least attempt to make my first living quarters down there in my new embark.
The problem isn't being 60 levels underground. That's a pain when you start, but 60 levels are no more challenging for your dwarves then 60 squares in any direction.

The problem is finding room for everything around magma. I have a set scheme I use for almost all my living quarters levels, which requires a lot of room, and just doesn't fit on z-levels that have caverns or magma.

I generally end up creating a secondary fortress right by the magma. It's not really a fortress, it's more a room for Urik the Armorsmith, plus a large storage chamber for unsmelted metal/metal/bars/glass/etc., plus the room with the actual forges.

Nick

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15468 on: October 09, 2011, 08:30:36 am »

In most of my forts, the distance to the magma is much greater than 60 squares.  For starters, the magma is often 120 levels down, rather than 60.  And then the path leading to it isn't a straight drop from the main stairwell; rather, it's typically a straight drop until just above cavern 1, then a 20-30 tile side jaunt to find the nearest pillar that pierces cavern 1, then another adjustment to dodge cavern 2, etc.

But it's not a problem in the long run.  I put some booze down there for when the forge-workers get thirsty (but no food or living quarters), and sometimes it'll take extra time to get my armor, but it still works.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15469 on: October 09, 2011, 03:30:01 pm »

Where do I find my clay stores on the Stocks page? I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't make clay pots.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15470 on: October 09, 2011, 03:49:55 pm »

I'm not certain, but try under stones.

About the problem. To cover the basics, do you have a kiln, fuel and gathered clay? If so, have you been using a burrow over the kiln? There's a burrow-related bug that sometimes causes smelters to not recognise availiable material, and I can't say for sure it effects kilns as well but it's worth consideration. Anyway, if so, try removing the kiln from the burrow and see if it works.
Love, scriver~

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15471 on: October 09, 2011, 03:57:32 pm »

If a crundle spawns in a cavern and no one is around to see it, does it lag my FPS..?

“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15472 on: October 09, 2011, 04:10:10 pm »

What labor is used for making wooden and bone bolts?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15473 on: October 09, 2011, 04:12:27 pm »

What labor is used for making wooden and bone bolts?
Bone carving for bone bolts, and I think wood crafting for wooden bolts.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15474 on: October 09, 2011, 04:31:11 pm »

If a crundle spawns in a cavern and no one is around to see it, does it lag my FPS..?

No, that's just the cavern lake draining into the magma sea.
[Signature]

Azzamean

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15475 on: October 09, 2011, 04:51:38 pm »

I'm trying to mass pit my hostiles in cages.

I channeled out 10 Z-Levels. On the top level I created a floor with holes. I covered up those holes with floor hatches.
I then put an animal stockpile around those floor hatches and then zoned the 6 floor hatches. I have a 6 Zone pit with goblins in cages around.

Whenever I try to assign those cages to the pit, nothing happens. None of the dwarves move the cages? I am currently being seiged but I have closed off the fort.

I can't figure out why none of the dwaves are moving the cages. There are 50 idles dwarves so there must be another reason?

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15476 on: October 09, 2011, 04:55:01 pm »

I'm not certain, but try under stones.

About the problem. To cover the basics, do you have a kiln, fuel and gathered clay? If so, have you been using a burrow over the kiln? There's a burrow-related bug that sometimes causes smelters to not recognise availiable material, and I can't say for sure it effects kilns as well but it's worth consideration. Anyway, if so, try removing the kiln from the burrow and see if it works.

Aha! A burrow bug might be it.

I managed to make a few pots a while back, so I know I can do it. I recently was under seige, and had everyone inside, so no clay was collected. I turned that back on after the seige, but I knew I had been collecting clay for a while, so I should have been able to make pots. I have a magma kiln, so fuel, and I BELIEVE my clay is being gathered, but that's what I was trying to check on.

HOWEVER, I also had a steel-making bug, despite having all the materials, and despite prior to my siege having no problems making steel. I thus suspect the burrow bug. Steel came back after I smelted some new pig iron (despite having 7 bars of it already). I see if I can remind the kiln about making pots, too.

-nightwhips
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Hunter not hunting
« Reply #15477 on: October 10, 2011, 12:02:37 am »

I have quivers, crossbow, wood and bone bolts (both specified for hunting to use), labor enabled.  Not hunting.  No special burrow's assigned either.  Just chilling in my fortress (I verified his inventory having a quiver and crossbow, although I did not see any bolts on him)

JoeyS7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15478 on: October 10, 2011, 12:08:47 am »

I've been using the mass pitting (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Mass_pitting) technique to quickly dispose of goblins and train my military. However, I'm nervous about sending my military against trolls.  They are big, scary, and meany, and they don't need weapons to kill people. 

I've typically had three animal stockpiles: one for goblins, above a pit I send my military into; one for trolls, above magma; and one with just normal animals and empty cages.

Recently, I started a squad of marksdwarfs.  I wanted to move my trolls to a different pit, one that I carved with fortifications and no door, so I could shoot at them to death. 

But ever since I deleted the stockpile over the magma and moved it over my new pit, my dwarves won't touch the trolls.  They will reset cage traps but leave the trolls on the same tile of the cage.  The trolls I already had in my old troll stockpile are still sitting there.  I've triple checked my stockpile settings to be sure that trolls are activated, and they are, but no one will move them there. The cages aren't forbidden, nor are they being dumped.  There are no burrow restrictions.  I can't figure out why they won't move them.

Did anyone else run into this problem?  Any idea what could be wrong?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15479 on: October 10, 2011, 03:53:45 am »

Can they path there? Locked door, maybe?

My question: is there a way to get rid of dwarf clothing? I want to assign uniforms to all my dwarfs instead, but I can't get them to drop their wearing clothes... I reckon there was an utility for that, wasn't it?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:55:29 am by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."
Pages: 1 ... 1030 1031 [1032] 1033 1034 ... 1178