Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1024 1025 [1026] 1027 1028 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125246 times)

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15375 on: October 03, 2011, 09:03:46 am »

Does glazing an item increase its value?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15376 on: October 03, 2011, 09:43:59 am »

Does glazing an item increase its value?
I think it counts as a decoration, so it probably does.
Love, scriver~

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15377 on: October 03, 2011, 10:21:50 am »

It's not a decoration, I think it's categorized as an [improvement], and it might be the only one in the game right now. Unlike decorations, it doesn't have a quality level, and can change the performance characteristics of the object it's applied to. It's also bugged to not give any experience when applied to an object.

That much I've gotten from the wiki. But there's no information about value, which seems odd.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15378 on: October 03, 2011, 01:11:12 pm »

Once a dwarf is wearing a breastplate, is there any way to also get a mail shirt on?  The wiki says that layers have to be put on in order (ie, socks before shoes)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15379 on: October 03, 2011, 01:13:30 pm »

Once a dwarf is wearing a breastplate, is there any way to also get a mail shirt on?  The wiki says that layers have to be put on in order (ie, socks before shoes)

I haven't had troubles with dwarves suiting themselves up in 2010- if they still refuse, you can temporarily assign them a null uniform, let them drop their stuff, then reassign their old uniform- they should suit up in order.

Target Practice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15380 on: October 03, 2011, 11:46:07 pm »

Is there a particular depth where one finds Iron ore? I only ask because I'm starting to wonder if I've somehow managed to worldgen a world without it. I've tunnelled far enough down to reach the first layer of caverns (10-15z), and had some mild !!fun!! in doing so, and the fact that I don't have access to iron and have only limited access to fuel increased said !!fun!! exponentially, so I'm a little wary of tunnelling any deeper if I don't have to.

Also, I checked the wiki, and apparently Bituminous coal isn't found until after the chasm (which I'm apparently yet to discover), but that's for the 0.23a version, and I'm using DF2010. Anyone able to confirm if this is still the case?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15381 on: October 04, 2011, 02:09:28 am »

Also, I checked the wiki, and apparently Bituminous coal isn't found until after the chasm (which I'm apparently yet to discover), but that's for the 0.23a version, and I'm using DF2010. Anyone able to confirm if this is still the case?

The chasm it mentions is part of the old 2d version of DF. Back then the further back in the cave you dug the better minerals and gems you'd find. Things are very different now!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15382 on: October 04, 2011, 04:36:33 am »

Splints. Are they good for every kind of bone fracture, or are some of them, like complex and compound fractures, can only be fixed through the use of a traction bench?

Is there a particular depth where one finds Iron ore? I only ask because I'm starting to wonder if I've somehow managed to worldgen a world without it. I've tunnelled far enough down to reach the first layer of caverns (10-15z), and had some mild !!fun!! in doing so, and the fact that I don't have access to iron and have only limited access to fuel increased said !!fun!! exponentially, so I'm a little wary of tunnelling any deeper if I don't have to.

Chances are if you haven't discovered iron before breaching the second cavern, there's probably not going to be any iron. In my experience, iron is usually one of those metals that are found before the first cavern area with stuff like tetrahedrite, gold, and silver deep deep down.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 04:40:31 am by Flare »

Target Practice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15383 on: October 04, 2011, 07:09:30 am »

Heh, looks like I've got it the other way round. I've got more gold and silver than I know what to do with, and I've got so much tetrahedrite sitting round waiting to be smelted that I've forbidden it in most of my ore stockpiles.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #15384 on: October 04, 2011, 08:29:48 am »

What skill does making metal bolts train? is it metalsmithing or weapon? just because in the menu it's sorted with weapons

Also, I know it's probably a no but is there ANY way of getting rid of infection? I have soap etc but my dwarves still seem to get infections when wounded :(
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15385 on: October 04, 2011, 08:37:34 am »

What skill does making metal bolts train? is it metalsmithing or weapon? just because in the menu it's sorted with weapons
Metal bolts are weaponsmithing, yeah.

Don't know about infections, though.
Love, scriver~

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15386 on: October 04, 2011, 08:56:54 am »

Also, I know it's probably a no but is there ANY way of getting rid of infection? I have soap etc but my dwarves still seem to get infections when wounded :(
Do you have a hospital?  Do you have dwarves who can and will perform prompt medical procedures such as cleaning wounds?  Do you have a well over clean water?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15387 on: October 04, 2011, 09:01:48 am »

On the infection-note: Is it possible for dwarves to get infected wounds that they can't clean because they can't reach them (due to them being stitched up/otherwise internal?)
Love, scriver~

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #15388 on: October 04, 2011, 09:29:42 am »

thanks for the metal bolt answer, thats useful to know! can train my weaponsmiths with something i need :D

yeah got a hospital and 3 different water sources, I have no idea how to tell if they are 'safe' though - one is the brook (guessing that's fine) another is a well to the cavern water - but it has no mud in it and 3rd is a reservoir of water I made from the brook in case of siege etc.

I figured that sometimes the suturers might stitch them up before they've been cleaned sometimes - guess there's no way round that. the wiki says that infections can sometimes heal? whu? i thought infections were a dormant death sentence biding their time until you need that dwarf then BAM infection takeover
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15389 on: October 04, 2011, 09:33:37 am »

so I got my first big siege yesterday which was a bunch of gobblins, jabbers, and a couple trolls.  I caught most of them in traps, but a few were outside my drawbridges.  I proceeded to lower my drawbridges and both ended up breaking.  I though these were dwarven atom smashers and that they were supposed to SMASH?  Why did my drawbridges deconstruct?  I am now trapped into my fort and I"ll have to mine a new exit to get out and finish off these gobblins.  I know i didn't hit the trolls with them.  The only possible creatures I hit were gobblins and/or jabbers.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 09:37:29 am by fluffhead »
Pages: 1 ... 1024 1025 [1026] 1027 1028 ... 1178