Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1023 1024 [1025] 1026 1027 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125243 times)

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15360 on: October 02, 2011, 11:09:39 am »

Do drawbridges have a max weight they can life? I have a kill room set up where I pull out the bridge, sending formerly caged creatures down into a pit so my marksdwarves can practice on live targets. Unfortunately the bridge seems to have quit working, but it has several elk birds and draltha standing on it.

I'm not sure if they do. Are you sure you linked it to a lever? or maybe you liked it to two levers? in that case it tends to screw up and stop working.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15361 on: October 02, 2011, 11:16:07 am »

Do drawbridges have a max weight they can life? I have a kill room set up where I pull out the bridge, sending formerly caged creatures down into a pit so my marksdwarves can practice on live targets. Unfortunately the bridge seems to have quit working, but it has several elk birds and draltha standing on it.

Yes, there is a weight limit for bridges, but its not a cumulative weight.  A drawbridge will not work if any single creature of size greater than 1,200,000 is standing on it.  I believe that Draltha are above this limit, so the bridge won't work with a Draltha on them.  However, it's not a cumulative weight limit, so a bridge will still with a thousand goblins standing on it as none of them are over the weight limit.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15362 on: October 02, 2011, 01:14:41 pm »

So...uhh....

I just embarked, and as soon as I did a cavern collapsed.  It apparently landed on a bunch of skeletal fish serpent men and they all died.

I have no idea how this would have happened because I didn't embark anywhere with any sort of evil.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15363 on: October 02, 2011, 08:42:58 pm »

So...uhh....

I just embarked, and as soon as I did a cavern collapsed.  It apparently landed on a bunch of skeletal fish serpent men and they all died.

I have no idea how this would have happened because I didn't embark anywhere with any sort of evil.

Sounds like HFS to me.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15364 on: October 02, 2011, 08:55:10 pm »

Yea sounds like a mapgen glitched caused something to collapse into something else, bringing the floor a bunch of serpent men were standing on with it.

I never experienced that myself but from what I hear of it, you need to be really really REALLY careful exploring your caverns now.  They probably gained about half a dozen levels in FUN.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15365 on: October 02, 2011, 09:45:12 pm »

Sounds like a "curious structure" (to use the game's terms). You might want to keep your distance from the third cavern layer.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15366 on: October 02, 2011, 09:49:48 pm »

Is unplayable framerate a common problem after breaching into the hfs? After I dug too deep my game slowed to about 5-10fps and eventually crashed.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15367 on: October 02, 2011, 09:54:00 pm »

It has been known to happen.  There is a lot that needs processing during that, and if it's already on a slow map it can push it over the top. 

I hear one way to fix some of that is turning temperature off, not ideal since it changes gameplay slightly, but yer probably dead anyway.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15368 on: October 02, 2011, 10:57:30 pm »

Is unplayable framerate a common problem after breaching into the hfs? After I dug too deep my game slowed to about 5-10fps and eventually crashed.

I've suffered significant framerate reductions after breaching HFS due to the sudden spike in pathfinding, coupled with crowded tunnels leading to/from the FUN. Providing multiple paths for the party-goers to take may help alleviate the strain, and if this is the cause of your FUN it should straighten itself out, one way or another- hopefully before you crash again.

Scottzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Water is truly the most dwarven of fluids
    • View Profile
« Reply #15369 on: October 03, 2011, 03:40:29 am »

Is there any way to destroy a bone with a modded bite attack (like syndromes, for example). I can't even get mass-bone-necrosis to work, let alone specific bone melt. (I'm trying to implement a bite attack, using localized syndromes, which removes the skull of anything bitten in the head.)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15370 on: October 03, 2011, 07:16:59 am »

You may need to wait until the next version with it's more robust syndrome interactions for that.  Currently necrosis is the closest you can get, and that's not very close.  In the next update you might be able to do something like turn the bone materiel into air or something like that.

Scaliger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15371 on: October 03, 2011, 07:24:22 am »

Its the earthenware bugged to stock food in v0.31.25? I have 2 pots and the dorfs doesn´t use and its making me nuts >.<
Sorry for the spelling and grammar, ye olde english is a weak spot.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15372 on: October 03, 2011, 07:27:22 am »

I think you may need to glaze earthenware pots before they can be used as barrels. 

For ceramic and porcelain made from fire clay and kaolinite you don't, but all other clays(earthenware) need glazing with ash or tin before they will hold food or liquids.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:31:05 am by Greiger »

Scaliger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15373 on: October 03, 2011, 08:10:28 am »

I dont want use the pots to store booze (call me puritan), its the reason for i want use earthenware, but i try to glaze. Thanks
Sorry for the spelling and grammar, ye olde english is a weak spot.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15374 on: October 03, 2011, 08:34:29 am »

In case you didn't know, you can use rock pots (made from stone, at a craft shop) as a substitute for barrels in every way except extraction of dwarven syrup (which still requires barrels).  This may be an option if you were using earthenware simply because you lacked trees and metals for barrels, rather than because you really, really wanted earthenware.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 1023 1024 [1025] 1026 1027 ... 1178