Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1018 1019 [1020] 1021 1022 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125366 times)

Rotinaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15285 on: September 28, 2011, 01:08:31 am »

Quick question about something that has bugged me for a while, what does it mean when an item has <<these>> around its name? The DF wiki doesn't mention them under quality, and it's a very hard thing to search for.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #15286 on: September 28, 2011, 06:25:39 am »

«Item» implies decoration.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15287 on: September 28, 2011, 05:31:35 pm »

How do you stop your soldiers from attacking wild animals?

I've only got three, who insist on drowning themselves chasing capybaras. I only want them to go after goblins.

Nick

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15288 on: September 29, 2011, 02:05:44 am »

1.) In the entity_defaults, is it possible to give a civilization access to obsidian upon embark and during trade, without giving them access to other stones or materials?

2.) If I create two distinct civilizations of the same race, will the player encounter both of them during Fortress Mode gameplay?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15289 on: September 29, 2011, 06:32:46 am »

1.) In the entity_defaults, is it possible to give a civilization access to obsidian upon embark and during trade, without giving them access to other stones or materials?

2.) If I create two distinct civilizations of the same race, will the player encounter both of them during Fortress Mode gameplay?

2. yes. I'm having fun with elves and evil!elves in my current fort...
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #15290 on: September 29, 2011, 07:38:19 am »

I have an artifact steel breastplate...

Compared to artifact mail shirt, what is better in what purpose? (I'm thinking on defense here, not if they were both equipped by one dwarf, just for comparison reasons)  :)

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15291 on: September 29, 2011, 09:10:47 am »

The artifact chain mail covers more of the body (upper legs, upper arms), but doesn't do much to protect against blunt attacks. Only chain mail can protect upper arms, so it's usually necessary to wear both chain mail and a breastplate, even if you aren't going for max armor.

DF considers chain mail more valuable than a breastplate, and dwarves prefer it to a breastplate if told to wear "metal armor", but I don't think that helps in deciding which is better, either.

The question is, are you threatened by a hammer/mace/other blunt weapon, or a spear/sword/axe/crossbow/other piercing/slashing weapon? If the former, well, that chain mail likely won't do much for you, but the breastplate might save your life, and is clearly better. If the latter, well, the breastplate won't protect your upper arms and upper legs, but the chainmail will, and is clearly better.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15292 on: September 29, 2011, 09:20:53 am »

Will caravans still arrive onto the map if there is no access to the depot?

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #15293 on: September 29, 2011, 09:28:40 am »

Yes they will. You will get a note telling you that the merchants need a depot to unload their goods.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15294 on: September 29, 2011, 09:41:52 am »

Sweet. Operation: Fuck off harpies, I've got a bunker now! can go ahead.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15295 on: September 29, 2011, 10:46:47 am »

Yes they will. You will get a note telling you that the merchants need a depot to unload their goods.

The access to the depot thing though just means there isn't a passage wide enough to fit a wagon, which isn't in the game at the moment anyway.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15296 on: September 29, 2011, 11:01:13 am »

Is there any tool that counts the number and type of animals in my possession in fort mode?
I know I have a lot of cats but HOW much is the real question.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15297 on: September 29, 2011, 03:20:09 pm »

That rabbits do not provide meat is an absolute travesty! In fact, by rate of growth and reproduction, they are probably the most efficient meat livestock in the world!

So.. where do I edit this in the raws? I see nothing regarding meat in creatures_domestic...
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15298 on: September 29, 2011, 03:23:10 pm »

That rabbits do not provide meat is an absolute travesty! In fact, by rate of growth and reproduction, they are probably the most efficient meat livestock in the world!

So.. where do I edit this in the raws? I see nothing regarding meat in creatures_domestic...

Whether or not a creature gives meat is determined by its size.  Rabbits don't give meat when butchered because they're too small.  Rabbits have an adult size of 500 [BODY_SIZE:2:0:500], and creatures need to have a size of about 2000 to give meat.  So edit their size to make them the size of a cat and they'll give meat when butchered.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15299 on: September 29, 2011, 06:58:01 pm »

Whether or not a creature gives meat is determined by its size.  Rabbits don't give meat when butchered because they're too small.  Rabbits have an adult size of 500 [BODY_SIZE:2:0:500], and creatures need to have a size of about 2000 to give meat.  So edit their size to make them the size of a cat and they'll give meat when butchered.

Thanks.

It's funny, because most of the adult domestic rabbits I have seen have been larger than cats.
Pages: 1 ... 1018 1019 [1020] 1021 1022 ... 1178