Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1017 1018 [1019] 1020 1021 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125433 times)

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15270 on: September 26, 2011, 03:23:03 pm »

Theres actually a much faster way :

1 : Build a cage near a pit (with the goblin inside).
2 : If the goblin is being cheap and has not donated his clothes and weapons : d b d then d b c (dump, then reclaim) on the cage / cages. (Having a dump nearby will make it easier to sort out what you want or you can use stock menus to do so.
3 : It's entirely safe to dump said goblin into a Pit designated with i then assigning "who" is going to fall into it. I personally have the goblins fall right into my military barracks for some cheap fun ^_^ Other good options are :

*Trying to learn goblins to fly : Really funny when the height is 20 to 40 at least ^_^
*Magma Bath for personal Hygiene!
*Not in the mood for flying? Well how about a room filled with nasty and hungry critters? Allways fun!
*Labyrint! Let the goblins try to find their way out of a trap filled labyrint (Leave an open door that is possible to path towards for extra fun).

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15271 on: September 26, 2011, 06:52:20 pm »

If I enter Adventure Mode and painstakingly remove every piece of garbage lying around an old fortress, and discard it off in the wilderness, will the site be clean when I go to reclaim it?

Yes, that should work.  Though if you don't mind cheating a bit, it's probably much faster to go in fortress mode with a quick embark, and use DFHack.  You can mark everything for dumping (either with mass dumping, d-b-d, or through the z-stocks screen) and use DFHAck's autodestroy function (a 'suboption' of the autodump tool.)  DFHack also has a tool called dflair which will cause items in a particular fortress to not be scattered upon abandon/reclaim.

Eureka! I did not know this existed. I wonder, will it work with version 31.18..?

Anything that preserves FPS is not cheating. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15272 on: September 26, 2011, 07:53:52 pm »

If I enter Adventure Mode and painstakingly remove every piece of garbage lying around an old fortress, and discard it off in the wilderness, will the site be clean when I go to reclaim it?

Yes, that should work.  Though if you don't mind cheating a bit, it's probably much faster to go in fortress mode with a quick embark, and use DFHack.  You can mark everything for dumping (either with mass dumping, d-b-d, or through the z-stocks screen) and use DFHAck's autodestroy function (a 'suboption' of the autodump tool.)  DFHack also has a tool called dflair which will cause items in a particular fortress to not be scattered upon abandon/reclaim.

Eureka! I did not know this existed. I wonder, will it work with version 31.18..?

Yes, anything that makes the game run faster is fair game for me  :D
I don't know if the current DFHack would work with 31.18 or not, but there's this thread with the legacy version which may have a link to the version used at that time.  You could probably also find an older version of Lazy Newb Pack, since that came packaged with DFHack I believe.  At any rate, check at one of the DFHack threads to be sure, I suppose.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15273 on: September 26, 2011, 08:12:15 pm »

Yes, anything that makes the game run faster is fair game for me  :D
I don't know if the current DFHack would work with 31.18 or not, but there's this thread with the legacy version which may have a link to the version used at that time.  You could probably also find an older version of Lazy Newb Pack, since that came packaged with DFHack I believe.  At any rate, check at one of the DFHack threads to be sure, I suppose.

Fortunately, I have the old version, but I never noticed that feature, and so I was curious to see if it was added. I'll have to take a look when I get the chance. Thanks a lot! :D
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where are the visitors?
« Reply #15274 on: September 26, 2011, 10:10:17 pm »

I accidentally penetrated an Adamantine tube thinking it was a solid vein... I got the expected entertaining "messages", but then nothing.

I was expecting some flying visitors to come and pay me a visit, but nothing has happened. Every time I have done this before I have had many visitors that have inflicted a great deal of fun on me.

What's going on? I had assumed that there were always at least some visitors that would fly up the tube to say hello...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:19:46 pm by PenguinHero »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the visitors?
« Reply #15275 on: September 26, 2011, 11:11:01 pm »

I accidentally penetrated an Adamantine tube thinking it was a solid vein... I got the expected entertaining "messages", but then nothing.

I was expecting some flying visitors to come and pay me a visit, but nothing has happened. Every time I have done this before I have had many visitors that have inflicted a great deal of fun on me.

What's going on? I had assumed that there were always at least some visitors that would fly up the tube to say hello...

I'm no expert, but from what I understand only one tube has a Welcome Wagon waiting for you- the rest are just eerie. If I'm right, you've got at least one other hollow tube on the map.

OhNoItsNot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15276 on: September 27, 2011, 08:43:00 am »

What does traction actually do? And how long can I expect my dwarves to remain in traction? I have one guy who I swear has been there for at least two years.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15277 on: September 27, 2011, 08:58:46 am »

What does traction actually do? And how long can I expect my dwarves to remain in traction? I have one guy who I swear has been there for at least two years.
People are put in traction benches to treat complicated bone breaks. It's purpose if to immobilise the patient while the fracture heals.

So if you're dwarf still has broken bones, he should theoretically still be in there. There is however some bugs associated with traction benches. If the bone is healed, it's probably this bug. Try deconstructing the bench and see if it frees him.

Unrelated though, was your first choice for name already taken, by any chance? ;)
Love, scriver~

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15278 on: September 27, 2011, 11:28:08 am »

I have a quick question...  My militia is shooting down lots of buzzards, and I want them butchered. But when I get them dumped near my butcher, they're forbidden. When I unforbid them, the dwarves go and pick them up and redump them. Do I have to have an inactive garbage dump to get them to stay there? Or turn of corpse removal? How long will the dwarves screw around moving corpses back and forth? I want my meat! This also happens when a hunter doesn't retrieve a corpse and other dwarves do.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15279 on: September 27, 2011, 11:32:08 am »

Buzzards are usually too small to yield anything when butchered, so your butcher's shop won't touch them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15280 on: September 27, 2011, 11:59:03 am »

Buzzards are usually too small to yield anything when butchered, so your butcher's shop won't touch them.

Aw man, those jerks. Buzzards are jerks.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15281 on: September 27, 2011, 12:56:19 pm »

What sort of use do the large, non vermin, fish have?

I don't think any of my fishermen have ever caught one, do I have to do something special to harvest them?
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15282 on: September 27, 2011, 01:06:58 pm »

What sort of use do the large, non vermin, fish have?

I don't think any of my fishermen have ever caught one, do I have to do something special to harvest them?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=75780
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

OhNoItsNot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15283 on: September 27, 2011, 02:18:01 pm »

People are put in traction benches to treat complicated bone breaks. It's purpose if to immobilise the patient while the fracture heals.

So if you're dwarf still has broken bones, he should theoretically still be in there. There is however some bugs associated with traction benches. If the bone is healed, it's probably this bug. Try deconstructing the bench and see if it frees him.

Unrelated though, was your first choice for name already taken, by any chance? ;)

Alright thanks I'll try that. In response to your question : No, it's a long story.

When me and my brother played wc3 2v2 we noticed that lots of people used joke nicknames that fit together so we made its.behind.you. and ohnoitsnot, then we started playing dota on those same accounts so then when HoN came out we stuck with them and now I use it more often than not as I got used to it (and also we were in high tier teams so people it's a more recognisable name than the one I used to use online)

I consider three lines to be long when describing name choice  :P

New question : is the ammunition screen on squads bugged? I set my squad to use wooden bolts to practice and iron for combat but they won't stop shooting iron bolts in the archery range. had to tell them to just stop picking  up the bolts =/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:09:53 pm by OhNoItsNot »

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15284 on: September 27, 2011, 08:35:51 pm »

There's a bug about training ammo.  Pretty much I think it's exactly as you described.
Pages: 1 ... 1017 1018 [1019] 1020 1021 ... 1178