Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1016 1017 [1018] 1019 1020 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125444 times)

Synner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15255 on: September 25, 2011, 06:07:13 pm »

EDIT: I already solved my problem (it was really stupid).

If any other newbie has trouble getting out of an island in adventure mode just travel to a beach and try to pass a portion of the sea using local map, if you encounter a hill in your destination ALT+movekey will make you climb it.

Note: Training swiming helps A LOT.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:11:32 pm by Synner »
Urist McSpartacus: blood and vomit.
One day this is going to be a show, mark my words.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15256 on: September 25, 2011, 07:16:33 pm »

Hmm, I've had a few problems lately when generating Worlds, mainly my dwarven civs seems to lose their kings and queens , even though its possible to start playing as one of those civs, you will never adquire a king from it.

Is there any way to mod the game in such a way you can designate your own king?

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15257 on: September 25, 2011, 11:39:20 pm »

Upon a repeat inspection, it's the gears they're trying to hook up, not the plates, that they're complaining about. They still have a route to the gears, but there's no orthogonal space (intentionally!). Is this the problem?

Dwarves can stand diagonal to a wall they're building while working, so I think they should be able to stand diagonal to a gear when linking it up, though I haven't worked with gears before myself.

If the space is narrow, and there are lots of dwarves trying to get to the same space to do multiple construction jobs, you'll get some job suspensions. Try unsuspending the construction/linking jobs, and see if any of them finish. When building lots of stuff in narrow areas, it's often necessary to repeatedly unsuspend jobs, if the space is really narrow, you might need to unsuspend them one at a time, as I don't think two dwarves can occupy the same space if both of them are on construction jobs.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15258 on: September 26, 2011, 12:20:13 am »

If I enter Adventure Mode and painstakingly remove every piece of garbage lying around an old fortress, and discard it off in the wilderness, will the site be clean when I go to reclaim it?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15259 on: September 26, 2011, 06:13:54 am »

If I enter Adventure Mode and painstakingly remove every piece of garbage lying around an old fortress, and discard it off in the wilderness, will the site be clean when I go to reclaim it?

Yes, that should work.  Though if you don't mind cheating a bit, it's probably much faster to go in fortress mode with a quick embark, and use DFHack.  You can mark everything for dumping (either with mass dumping, d-b-d, or through the z-stocks screen) and use DFHAck's autodestroy function (a 'suboption' of the autodump tool.)  DFHack also has a tool called dflair which will cause items in a particular fortress to not be scattered upon abandon/reclaim.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:42:31 am by Xen0n »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15260 on: September 26, 2011, 07:28:36 am »

Dwarves can stand diagonal to a wall they're building while working,

As far as I know, they cannot.  Constructing a wall has to be done from the west, east, north or south.  Digging can be done diagonally.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15261 on: September 26, 2011, 07:35:20 am »

Dwarves can stand diagonal to a wall they're building while working,

As far as I know, they cannot.  Constructing a wall has to be done from the west, east, north or south.  Digging can be done diagonally.

Actually, they can stand diagonal to a wall they're construction, but only so long as they could have stood directly non-diagonal to it.  There needs to be an accessible tile where they can stand north/south/east/west of the thing they're building, but I've seen them stand diagonally while building anyway.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15262 on: September 26, 2011, 12:46:45 pm »

Hello, fellow puppeteers! So i had a question: How do i get my bearded pawns to gather corpses from outside for butchering? I have already unforbidden claim other dead in Orders.
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15263 on: September 26, 2011, 12:49:17 pm »

Turn on gathering of refuse from outside.  Press o-r-o.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15264 on: September 26, 2011, 12:54:24 pm »

Thank you a lot! Delicious goblin roasts to everyone!
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15265 on: September 26, 2011, 01:44:03 pm »

Let me guess, you're playing elves so you can butcher enemy dead?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15266 on: September 26, 2011, 02:23:19 pm »

Let me guess, you're playing elves so you can butcher enemy dead?
Not really, i just love to shoot goblins with goblin bone bolts.

bloomis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15267 on: September 26, 2011, 02:49:40 pm »

I'm brand new to this, so I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but I can't figure it out.  When I catch a goblin in a cage trap, he ends up in my stockpile forever.  How do I kill him so I can reuse that cage?

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15268 on: September 26, 2011, 03:01:59 pm »

There are a lot of ways...one of the easier ones is to (b)uild->ca(j)e, then (b)uild->(T)rap->(l)ever, then (q) over the lever and add a task to link it to the cage.

Gather your army around the cage with a (s)quad (m)ove command, and order the lever pulled, deconstructing the cage and releasing the goblin.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15269 on: September 26, 2011, 03:15:13 pm »

I'm brand new to this, so I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but I can't figure it out.  When I catch a goblin in a cage trap, he ends up in my stockpile forever.  How do I kill him so I can reuse that cage?

If you want to do this with more than one goblin at a time, Mass Pitting can end up being more efficient in the long rong.
Pages: 1 ... 1016 1017 [1018] 1019 1020 ... 1178